The coming UK power shortage

Could be said that no country in their right mind would leave a single energy market…
It makes sense when that single energy market starts making laws, creating its own currency, defence policy, national anthem and flag

Clunker

Old-Salt
Currently there is a group of people who always shout loudly "Nuclear Dangerous, Scary, what about the waste". The great unwashed only seem to be listening to them.

Government needs counter propaganda. A "I like nuclear" tariff for consumers at a lower rate, in return for not supporting the anti's. A discount for having a nuclear power station operating within X miles of your house for a start.

Monitor any protests for people trying to cheat this scheme.

A similar scheme for anti airport people being put on no fly lists.

Rest of my manifesto coming later. :)

Could be said that no country in their right mind would leave a single energy market…
The EU is not a single energy market and never has been. It’s a harmonised market where standards, pricing mechanisms, tariffs, taxes etc etc are approximately equalised.

So far all the EU has managed is to liberalise its has and electricity market, something the UK managed 4years ago.

The EUs next steps are simply a power grab by the European Parliament.

The EU is not a single energy market and never has been. It’s a harmonised market where standards, pricing mechanisms, tariffs, taxes etc etc are approximately equalised.

So far all the EU has managed is to liberalise its has and electricity market, something the UK managed 4years ago.

The EUs next steps are simply a power grab by the European Parliament.

:D

Ain’t that the truth!

anglo

LE
A new record for Wind Turbine output, but not the kind of record needed,
a new low, as of 22 July 2021 12: 06 Hrs.

Screenshot 2021-07-22 at 12-11-45 G B National Grid status.png

anglo

LE
Gas fired power stations being shut down and going the same way as coal .
One example is the one I used to work at .
Built to run for 25 years .
Torn down and reduced to rubble after 20
If they shut to Gas plants, then we really are in big shit,
Some nuclear plants have also got to be closed due to time-ex
Replacement nuclear are way behind schedule no extra power just replacement,
That leaves wind turbines

number of Wind turbines 2020
10,930 wind turbines
By the beginning of December 2020, wind power production consisted of 10,930 wind turbines with a total installed capacity of over 24.1 gigawatts: 13.7 gigawatts of onshore capacity and 10.4 gigawatts of offshore capacity. This placed the United Kingdom at this time as the world's sixth largest producer of wind power.

Now their output is

Screenshot 2021-07-22 at 13-35-35 G B National Grid status.png

Plug your EVs into that

anglo

LE
I've just had a look. Interconnectors from Europe are bending the needles, suppling about 1/8th of demand. Our own Nuclear is doing about another 1/8th. Coal was only 2.7%
Things must be bad, coal normally runs at a big fat zero in summer,
they appear to be running coal because there's no wind turbine output
and solar shuts down at night, if they run coal it has to run all the time
put your pointer on the coal dial

Londo

LE
If they shut to Gas plants, then we really are in big shit,
Some nuclear plants have also got to be closed due to time-ex
Replacement nuclear are way behind schedule no extra power just replacement,
That leaves wind turbines

number of Wind turbines 2020
10,930 wind turbines
By the beginning of December 2020, wind power production consisted of 10,930 wind turbines with a total installed capacity of over 24.1 gigawatts: 13.7 gigawatts of onshore capacity and 10.4 gigawatts of offshore capacity. This placed the United Kingdom at this time as the world's sixth largest producer of wind power.

Now their output is

View attachment 590735

Plug your EVs into that
Doing a quick google it seems this country had plans for 17 new gas fired power stations .
Seem to be complaints that if they were built we would not achieve our clean air emissions target according to some foreign bint from the EU so no idea if they will be built now .
The place I worked at was one of the few privately run gas fired PS's ( Barking Power Station ) and with the rising cost of gas it was no longer economical to run .

Although gas fired it could also run on oil with several hours work to change the burners etc. and had 14 days oil on site with another 14 days reserve nearby .
EDIT to add pic
Barking Power Station 1700x920.jpg

anglo

LE
Doing a quick google it seems this country had plans for 17 new gas fired power stations .
Seem to be complaints that if they were built we would not achieve our clean air emissions target according to some foreign bint from the EU so no idea if they will be built now .
The place I worked at was one of the few privately run gas fired PS's ( Barking Power Station ) and with the rising cost of gas it was no longer economical to run .

Although gas fired it could also run on oil with several hours work to change the burners etc. and had 14 days oil on site with another 14 days reserve nearby .
EDIT to add pic
View attachment 590797
Wasn't there uttering about getting rid of Gas boilers, replacing them with electric heating and cooking,
All that electric supplied by gas driven turbines, Abbott logic
There's only one source of clean electric as far as green house gases are concerned, that is
nuclear, to do that would take a bloody long time
Wind turbines are not the answer, the way they are being used now doesn't work.

EDIT to add pic
View attachment 590797
I'm guessing that they could run on fluidised coal dust as well?

Latest Threads