The Cold War Victory Medal - eligible candidates plse apply

The Cold War Victory Medal - plse apply now

This is a ' heads up ' for all eligble servicemen who served during the Cold War to put
their names forward for the Cold WAr Victory Medal.

Award details:

The particulars for the award details can be found at this site:

THE COLD WAR VICTORY MEDAL - Service Commemoratives - Service Medals, Replica Medals, Ribbons, Ties and Badges

Apparently the medal was first struck by the Federation Des Combattants Allies En Europe in 1995
on the fifth aniversary of the end of the Cold War and is available to all eligible recipients up until
the end of 2015 when the nominal roll will be closed and the list of recipients given to the British
Imperial War Museum. So better get your skates on lads.

The award is uniquely divided into 5 catagories of qualification, as follows:
1. Governments (In exile)
2 .Solidarity/Resistance/Humanitarian movements
3 .Defence of N.A.T.O.
4. Defence of S.E.A.T.O.
5. Conflicts of Resistance to Totalitarian Aggression

The medal is die-struck with a high-grade Nickel-silver finish.The obverse of the medal is
heavy on symbolism and features Saint George and the Dragon: Saint George is the Patron
Saint of Holy Mother Russia and is attacking from the right (West),whilst the dragon is shown
rearing up from the left (East). The reverse of the medal features a Corona Civica made of oa
leaves with the central inscription 'For Service in the Cold War against Totalitarianism 1945-1990.
The rim of each medal carries an official number.
The ribbon is in moire (Watered Silk effect).The edges are in Communist Red whilst the central
two thirds of the ribbon are the exact colours of the First World War Allied Victory Medal.
The medal will not be issued without clasps (bars) attached: one clasp (bar) being the minimum
requirement.

At least one of the following nine clasps must be attached to the medal:
Central & Eastern Europe.
Free World Forces.
Patriotic Resistance.
Humanitarian Aid.
Defence of NATO.
Defence of SEATO.
Special Operations.
Intelligence.
Berlin Air Lift.

Other clasps covering areas of service,branch of service etc.,may be attached to the medal in
addition to one of the nine 'Compulsory' clasps and over 100 are available.
The clasps are attached and riveted to the medal's ribbon suspender bar.The clasps are of a
similar design and construction to those used on various British General Service Medals.

PRICE = £70.00 which includes the cost of a first (mandatory) clasp. Other clasps ( £25.00 each )
may also be added to the medal. A full list of all available clasps is included on the ORDER FORM.

An Award Certificate is also available. Price = £10.00

The medal may be applied for posthumously by family members.

Anyway, I'm sure well get a host of comments and opinions on it.

Mr_Fingerz

LE
Book Reviewer
Yes. It's tasteless tat.

Soooooooooooooooo colourful!!! I must get me one for the grandkids to drool over!

I'm not sure why you would want to wear this or on what occasion ?

How can this be called an award. Its not awarded is it - you buy it !

At least you guys have a commemorative that you can buy for Cold War service. Tat and Bling it may be, but it's more than the US Gubmint gave us cold warriors. ;-) I hate to think that all of those tiresome days & nights working on the tank tables at the Graf only merited a hearty hand-shake and a certificate of appreciation for Cold War service printed on a sheet of 8-1/2 x 11 paper, but there it is.:shock: At least the beer, etc. was good.

Here's our bling. $20 and it's yours: :rmp::soldier:

Looks like Englands 7's Strip I saw this morning

Mr_Fingerz

LE
Book Reviewer

Mr_Fingerz

LE
Book Reviewer
My question is - as always eligibility.

That is who should be parading with Cold War gongs on their uniforms.
Besides the obvious recipients to the medal - where would BRIXMIS fit in are they
3.Defence of N.A.T.O with
Defence of N.A.T.O and Intelligence Clasps or

3.Defence of N.A.T.O with Intelligence and Special Operations, clasps ?

And what about the Cold War veterans on the Home Front

As you might guess, I'm speaking of those much loved brave boys ( & girls ) of
the Royal Observer Corps who spent most of the Cold War on stand by for
Armaggedon.
Yes I can just picture the scene now ( as if it was yesterday ) a typical Observer
from the ROC doing his normal civvy job by day, then putting on his ROC uniform at
night for a ROC Post exercise over the weekend. Yes it was a cold & damp Cold War
for the ROC, manning those lonely windswept ROC Posts out in the wilds of nowhere
with the only hint of comfort & civilisation nearby being mine host, the pub.
Yes many's the evening I remember snuggled up round the Aga wood burning stove,
as we thawed out from our stint down the ROC bunker. A pint of Hook Norton real
ale in one hand and a UKWMO nuclear excercise report in the other.

Aye those were the days and its a comfort to know that future generations will able
to relive those heady days in the ROC, thanks to the myriad of ROC Post restoration
programs taking place in the UK.