The Cold War Victory Medal - eligible candidates plse apply

Discussion in 'Medals' started by ROCpostman, Oct 12, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. The Cold War Victory Medal - plse apply now

This is a ' heads up ' for all eligble servicemen who served during the Cold War to put
    their names forward for the Cold WAr Victory Medal.

Award details:

The particulars for the award details can be found at this site:

THE COLD WAR VICTORY MEDAL - Service Commemoratives - Service Medals, Replica Medals, Ribbons, Ties and Badges

Apparently the medal was first struck by the Federation Des Combattants Allies En Europe in 1995
    on the fifth aniversary of the end of the Cold War and is available to all eligible recipients up until
    the end of 2015 when the nominal roll will be closed and the list of recipients given to the British
    Imperial War Museum. So better get your skates on lads.

The award is uniquely divided into 5 catagories of qualification, as follows:
    1. Governments (In exile)
    2 .Solidarity/Resistance/Humanitarian movements
    3 .Defence of N.A.T.O.
    4. Defence of S.E.A.T.O.
    5. Conflicts of Resistance to Totalitarian Aggression

The medal is die-struck with a high-grade Nickel-silver finish.The obverse of the medal is
    heavy on symbolism and features Saint George and the Dragon: Saint George is the Patron
    Saint of Holy Mother Russia and is attacking from the right (West),whilst the dragon is shown
    rearing up from the left (East). The reverse of the medal features a Corona Civica made of oa
    leaves with the central inscription 'For Service in the Cold War against Totalitarianism 1945-1990.
    The rim of each medal carries an official number.
    The ribbon is in moire (Watered Silk effect).The edges are in Communist Red whilst the central
    two thirds of the ribbon are the exact colours of the First World War Allied Victory Medal.
    The medal will not be issued without clasps (bars) attached: one clasp (bar) being the minimum
    requirement.

At least one of the following nine clasps must be attached to the medal:
    Central & Eastern Europe.
    Free World Forces.
    Patriotic Resistance.
    Humanitarian Aid.
    Defence of NATO.
    Defence of SEATO.
    Special Operations.
    Intelligence.
    Berlin Air Lift.

Other clasps covering areas of service,branch of service etc.,may be attached to the medal in
    addition to one of the nine 'Compulsory' clasps and over 100 are available.
    The clasps are attached and riveted to the medal's ribbon suspender bar.The clasps are of a
    similar design and construction to those used on various British General Service Medals.

PRICE = £70.00 which includes the cost of a first (mandatory) clasp. Other clasps ( £25.00 each )
    may also be added to the medal. A full list of all available clasps is included on the ORDER FORM.

An Award Certificate is also available. Price = £10.00

The medal may be applied for posthumously by family members.

[​IMG]

Anyway, I'm sure well get a host of comments and opinions on it.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Mr_Fingerz

Mr_Fingerz LE Book Reviewer

Yes. It's tasteless tat.

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. Worthless enough, for Baron Castleshort to qualify for!

4. Soooooooooooooooo colourful!!! I must get me one for the grandkids to drool over!

5. I'm not sure why you would want to wear this or on what occasion ?

How can this be called an award. Its not awarded is it - you buy it !

6. Oh oh oh bling gotta get some

not

7. Will we see anyone sad enough to wear it

8. You can buy clasps a choice of over 100, I believe Herfoder and Warsteiner clasps are available .

• Like Like x 2
  9. WTF? :roll:

10. Walt Kit..............

11. Sorry missed that war, when did we win it?

12. At least you guys have a commemorative that you can buy for Cold War service. Tat and Bling it may be, but it's more than the US Gubmint gave us cold warriors. ;-) I hate to think that all of those tiresome days & nights working on the tank tables at the Graf only merited a hearty hand-shake and a certificate of appreciation for Cold War service printed on a sheet of 8-1/2 x 11 paper, but there it is.:shock: At least the beer, etc. was good.

[​IMG]

Here's our bling. $20 and it's yours: :rmp::soldier:
    [​IMG]

13. Prob a few cold war warriors on here have it mounted with their other bling tat already.

14. Looks like Englands 7's Strip I saw this morning

15. What if I did not catch a cold during the war, can I still have one?