Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

The Coat Rack.

kelvin_273

RIP        
Darling? I've bought a new coat rack for the hall. Could you take down the old one and put it up please?
Sure, no problem. Once I've drilled out the old screws that some idiot has completely destroyed. :rolleyes:
Luckily there were only eight.

20210121_090040.jpg
20210121_085410.jpg
20210121_085400.jpg

Angle grinder + rounded screwheads on plastered wall?

Unless you're pretty good with an angle grinder, I foresee the radio getting a good battering by a tradesman.

Molegrips won't do it on roundhead screws. I vote for the dremmel slot method. Failing that, if you have an impact driver, you can buy a screw head extractor for a fiver from screw fix. Screw & Bolt Extractor Set 2 Pieces

Angle grinder + rounded screwheads on plastered wall?

Unless you're pretty good with an angle grinder, I foresee the radio getting a good battering by a tradesman.

Molegrips won't do it on roundhead screws. I vote for the dremmel slot method. Failing that, if you have an impact driver, you can buy a screw head extractor for a fiver from screw fix. Screw & Bolt Extractor Set 2 Pieces
I bought one of those and concluded it was shite.

Then considered the possibility of Operator Error. Much more plausible.

How do you use them? Am I right in saying (normal RH thread) you’re supposed to turn them clockwise (i.e. counterintuitively, as if you’re tightening the screw)?

Or am I talking bollox. Also more plausible.

Small shaped-charge on the head, detonate and then use mole grips on the remaining shaft.

Some restorative work may be needed on the rest of the house. Safety tip: never return to a lit fuse.

Out with the old, in with the new. :boogie:
Once I'd drilled off the old heads it was simply a case of drilling small holes around the remaining screw and rawplug and gripping with pliers to yank it out. Just need a gallon of polyfilla to fill the holes now.
Luckily we're decorating soon anyway.

20210121_132144.jpg