The Cliché Thread

T

Tremaine

Sorry if this has been done before I did do a search but couldn't find it

Just a thought that a cliché thread is long overdue , but at the end of the day , it's either boring as fcuk or has potential for a boss thread :) Hole or Goal?

Tally 5

"A cliche is an analogy characterized by its overuse. It may be true ('Fat as a pig'), no longer true ('work like a dog') or inscrutible ('right as rain'), but it has been overused to the point that its sole function is to mark its user as a lazy thinker." Expressions made up one afternoon can't be cliches for this very reason.

Brotherton Lad

LE
Kit Reviewer
When all is said and done, at the end of the day, and, I mean no disrespect here, you're simply flying a kite.

You've run this one up the flagpole, but it appears no one's going to salute it.

T

Tremaine

And a respectable 4 there :)

Rocking mate, but is that really the bottom line and as far it goes?

Brotherton Lad

LE
Kit Reviewer
You can bet your bottom dollar there is, it certainly rings a bell, so there's no need to re-invent the wheel. I'll help look, leaving no stone unturned. Many hands make light work. No rest for the wicked, hey?

Thanks. Could you be more pacific?
I want to know who the alligators are (BTW is it my screen resolution or are the bottoms of my letters all flat?)

Wordsmith

LE
Book Reviewer
As we're talking clichés, can I mention buzzword bingo?

bwb-1.jpg

Simply produce a series of cards with different clichés/buzzwords on them, collect a kitty and take into lecture. Anyone completing a card scoops the kitty.

Simples....

Wordsmith

You're a bit late to get your foot in the door on this, when all is said and done, you're simply dangling a carrot to get a bite and you can go all round the houses but you might get the complete picture from some who will bend over backwards for you whilst others won't give the complete picture. So, the ball is now your court to lay down the ground rules and try to get those long in the tooth or over the hill to get on board and make sure they are all singing from the same hymn sheet otherwise all bets are off until you get the big picture to decide if some are just blowing smoke by giving you a cock and bull story or simply yanking your chain.
And you have to make up your mind on which are cliches and which are simply buzzword but, then, a rose by any name and all that.

T

Tremaine

You're a bit late to get your foot in the door on this, when all is said and done, you're simply dangling a carrot to get a bite and you can go all round the houses but you might get the complete picture from some who will bend over backwards for you whilst others won't give the complete picture. So, the ball is now your court to lay down the ground rules and try to get those long in the tooth or over the hill to get on board and make sure they are all singing from the same hymn sheet otherwise all bets are off until you get the big picture to decide if some are just blowing smoke by giving you a cock and bull story or simply yanking your chain.
And you have to make up your mind on which are cliches and which are simply buzzword but, then, a rose by any name and all that.
That's mustard that is, we don't stand a cat's chance in hell against class like that

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Bravo_Bravo The NAAFI Bar 13
Jagermeister99 The NAAFI Bar 58
Horridlittleman The NAAFI Bar 98