The class war..

I notice on another thread that 'working class' was used as an insult. Not sure why as most of us have to work for a living. But it got me to thinking, what defines what class you are supposedly in, working class or middle class, upper middle class etc? These terms are bandied around all the time but does anyone know what they really mean?

Ord_Sgt said:
I notice on another thread that 'working class' was used as an insult. Not sure why as most of us have to work for a living. But it got me to thinking, what defines what class you are supposedly in, working class or middle class, upper middle class etc? These terms are bandied around all the time but does anyone know what they really mean?
Try reading this
http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/0340818867/?tag=armrumser-21

More information on identifying class than you would ever need.

That makes me middle class then :D Can I look down on others who are less fortunate than me now? :twisted: But does this turn me into an instant dickhead like sven? :evil:

Ord_Sgt said:
I class myself as a scallie. Nehustan and Mag to Grid will know what I mean.

Now check your pockets, I might have stolen your wallet.

Dale the snail said:
Ord_Sgt said:
I class myself as a scallie. Nehustan and Mag to Grid will know what I mean.

Now check your pockets, I might have stolen your wallet.
I've just been out to count my wheels, still there they are. Prolly a bit far for you...

SparkySteve said:
Surely "working class" can also be said as Chav, or Chava now?
Not true, working class work. Chavs, neds, scallys don't. I'm working class, I work, pay taxes, I keep my nose clean and get on with life. Chavs don't.

Cpl_ripper said:
SparkySteve said:
Surely "working class" can also be said as Chav, or Chava now?
Not true, working class work. Chavs, neds, scallys don't. I'm working class, I work, pay taxes, I keep my nose clean and get on with life. Chavs don't.
My bold.

Calm your jets tiger. This scally works. PE4Rocks, check your pockets.

Once a Kingo etc etc.

justbrowsing said:
Used to think of myself as working class... then I visited manchester. Now I feel quite middle class.

BlueDanubeWalt said:
justbrowsing said:
Used to think of myself as working class... then I visited manchester. Now I feel quite middle class.

Darlo is worse.

I lived in Newcastle for two years- I think I was positively upper class. Returned to Sussex and back to being a pikey. Anyway, I thought John Major had abolished class.

Middle-class and higher-class people (dominant group members) are seen as smarter and more articulate than working-class and poor people (subordinated groups). In this way, dominant group members (middle-class and wealthy people) define for everyone else what is "normal" or "acceptable" in the class hierarchy.

In this way a corrupt and self serving policial elite can betray an entire social class indeed an entire nation in order to further it's own interests whilst convincing itself it is on the moral high ground.

The_Cad said:
Middle-class and higher-class people (dominant group members) are seen as smarter and more articulate than working-class and poor people (subordinated groups). In this way, dominant group members (middle-class and wealthy people) define for everyone else what is "normal" or "acceptable" in the class hierarchy.

In this way a corrupt and self serving policial elite can betray an entire social class indeed an entire nation in order to further it's own interests whilst convincing itself it is on the moral high ground.
I'm poor, and a scally, but I've got my own house and a whacking pension inbound, and I itch when I pass through Manchester,

What does that make me?

Dale the snail said:
The_Cad said:

I'm poor, and a scally, but I've got my own house and a whacking pension inbound, and I itch when I pass through Manchester,

What does that make me?
Still 'Top cat'..my friend..!!

Dale the snail said:
The_Cad said:

What does that make me?
Probably infected with crabs if you've ever been to scumchester.

The_Cad said:
Dale the snail said:
The_Cad said:

What does that make me?
Probably infected with crabs if you've ever been to scumchester.
No I drive through it, I don't actually stop there.

BlueDanube, you scare me.