The Chris Ryan Collection

Discussion in 'The Book Club' started by Murielson, Jan 29, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. May appeal to someone I guess:

https://www.thebookpeople.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/productSearch_10001_10051_65806_100___10_SimpleSearch_2_1_2__basicSearch_

£5 plus delivery@The Book People

Fresh out of the SAS, Matt Browning is down on his luck. He owes a lot of money and if he doesn't find it soon, he dies. From nowhere, Matt is offered a lifeline. Helped by MI5, he must put a team together and execute the perfect robbery... From the classic true story of the Bravo Two Zero mission of the first Gulf War to Chris Ryan's latest blockbusting novel, this collection of paperbacks offers tough, exciting, fast-paced adventure.

Set titles and authors :
    The One That Got Away
    The Kremlin Device
    Tenth Man Down
    The Hit List
    Stand By, Stand By
    Land of Fire
    Greed
    The Increment

Editted to put the price in

2. I will confess to have read a few of them :oops:

3. I got one for Crimbo - have to let the wife see me reading so as not to upset her, but my god his ghost writer knows feck all about the army!

4. I have read The Increment when i was on Holiday i thought it was good.

5. Isn't it fantastic though that no matter what his charectors are doing, they always have time for a good shag, shit he even managed it in land of fire, middle of Falklands war II (the return of Maggies knickers), the SAS guy bags himself an Argie chick....

6. I admit to reading 2 of his books - I gave them to Oxfam so some poor Walt can read his dribble and then tell fellow drunks how he was on the balcony / in sandy places and saved the day!

Prefer Vince Flynn or Matthew Reilly so i dont get as hacked off reading their tut!

7. The best book he's written was non-fiction. Inspite of the uber-Walt title: Chris Ryan's SAS Fitness Book, it does have some good, basic information on training, although more than half the book is dedicated to bodybuilding routines.

8. some of the books are good for a bit of escapism, had one or two cast offs handed down to me, then again hes made is money from it, surprised there are not more jumping on the band wagon

9. AlienFTM

AlienFTM LE Book Reviewer

10. Several posts down the line, it's probably worth repeating, Geordie A most certainly doesn't write this stuff, but happily contributes to the 'technical' content whatever that alludes to, of these tomes published under this name. I guess he pauses for breath as he checks the cheques of the royaltities that roll in but then.............

11. Mr Happy

Mr Happy LE Moderator

Somebody right pointed out that the ghostie had written about MI5 abbreviating it to five occasionally. Clearly Mr Ryan had a quick scan and said "thats not MI5 role, its MI6" so the ghostie, quick as a flash, changed all the "MI5" to "MI6" using that nice MS Windows editor stuff and sadly forgot to change "Five" to "Six" so you've MI5 also known as Six all through the book - quality!

His books are shite. In fact, I might have a go at writing one since the standards are clearly set so low.

I could tell you about the last CR book I read, but then you'd have to kill me...

12. I also read this when on holiday, one of the hotel's books. It was either that or something on Greek theatre. Wasn't too bad as long as you take it merely for the sake of entertainment and not as a military handbook.

13. I don't know if he's still using the same one but I met his ghost writer 3 or 4 years ago at a dinner party - she did indeed know bugger-all about Green and didn't appear to have have any inclination to rectify that.