The choice is getting smaller

looking at threads on the infantry forum it seems that the single identity infantry is getting closer. We have been asked a question, Rifles or PWRR? Not that long ago, when my first BFT was in boots DMS and 58 webbing (1981), that question would have been

Royal Green Jackets, Light Infantry, Devon & Dorset Regiment, Duke of Edinburghs Royal Regiment, The Glosters, The Queens or the the Royal Hamphire Regiment?

in 25 years 7 regiments have became 2. What does the future hold for infantry regiments?

Which was when?

Suedehead said:
I am 18 and currently studying a BTEC national diploma in music production - at 16 i decided to take this course but in the first year i knew it was not really for me. However, at the same time, I began looking at a career in the army. I had been considering this on and off for about 5 or 6 years, but only seriously from last year. The more look at it though the more i know that a career in the army is for me. So i basically have 2 options - my course finishes in may (im going to finish that as its only a few months until it ends and after spending over a year on it i may as well get the qualification) so finish that and go straight in as a private, or go back and do A levels and apply as an officer (whilst training for those 2 years). However, my preference is probably to join as a private. I know for sure I want to join the infantry. The course I am on at the moment requires me to work with a lot of different technology. Any suggestions on what career to look for in the infantry? Also, I am on the border of Lancashire and Yorkshire. In your opinion, which would be a better regiment to apply to join, Queen's Lancashire regiment or Yorkshire regiment? (Bear in mind that I have little connection to Lancashire and spend 90% of my time in Yorkshire). Sorry for the long post but Im really struggling to choose which route to go down here. Any information would be great!

Ahh western. I recall:- 43rd&52nd, KRRC, RB, D&D, DERR, GLOSTERS, Surreys, BUFFS, Middlesex, RSussex and RHamps not to mention DLI, KOYLI, KSLI, SCLI. Given that information you should be able to figure out the approximate year of MY acceptance of the Queen's shilling!

Never mind Suedehead!

ugly

LE
SCLI would date you to 1959? That was when the SLI and DCLI were amalgamated on 6th October 1959. The DLI dissappeared under the LI brigade amalgamations in 1968 if I recall.

Ahh western. I recall:- 43rd&52nd, KRRC, RB, D&D, DERR, GLOSTERS, Surreys, BUFFS, Middlesex, RSussex and RHamps not to mention DLI, KOYLI, KSLI, SCLI. Given that information you should be able to figure out the approximate year of MY acceptance of the Queen's shilling!

Never mind Suedehead!
Busterdog joined up with Titus Pullo.

Suedehead said:
western it was a joke if you know what one of those is
So was mine!

I agree, the local ties are being lost and fast, regardless of what the bigwigs say. One of the reasons i opted for my unit is because it was my local Regiment but it isn't anymore.

not nails - when I was a young Gunner (before I saw the light and joined the inf) our training screw was from 29 and gave us a taster of what life would be like over the next few months - or so he said. We did a few runs in black plimsoles, green sox, cardboard crotch height navy shorts and red v-neck vests. The BFT was his way of sorting us out I suppose - funny thing was if anyones webbing made a noise he would stopp and beast him while we doubled on the spot. The regular BFT was in lightweights, boots DMS, putees, and red vest. After that the black plimsoles were only used for inspections and to use when asleep in our bashas on ex.

Busterdog said:

Never mind Suedehead!
Think I've figured it out - when you joined you didn't have numbers because you knew everybody. Am I right ??

BT. :lol:

BFT-Bandit said:
When my first BFT was in boots DMS and 58 webbing (1981), that question would have been.
BFT with webbing - doh, are you sure. Am not saying you didn't but its not the done thing. Perhaps some L/Cpl who'd just done his PTI Queenie course was trying to set an impression eh, while he ponsed about in his white vest and fake tan trying to look the biz shouting - "keep up at the back". All the same them PTI's, put a pack on their back then see how they cope - they fkn DON'T.

BT. :lol:

in the 70s & 80s the Army knew little of health & safety so it would not surprise me to hear of running a BFT in webbing. PTIs on a run never existed either - unless it was an official PT lesson. I know fella who used to be in the AT Platoon of 1 RGJ and they used to do CFTs with sections of track from their 432s tied to a GS frame. No wonder old squaddies have fukced up knees!

ugly

LE
Back on the thread, perhaps some semblance of county ties could be maintained by the County associations and the ACF.
As a lad in Cornwall we wore the DCLI flash on our Brassards and the Truro cathedral School det wore the DCLI badge on the Berets. Surely as they are youth groups this can be maintained.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
When I was at IJLB at Oswestry the Club was known as the 54 Club because there were 54 Infantry Regiments. Quite a few changes since then!