The Chinese Regiment

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by RP578, Jan 21, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. RP578

RP578 LE Book Reviewer

2. I have read somewhere (but can't remember where!) that the 1st Chinese Regt served in the Boxer rebellion but I don't know any more about them.
  3. According to this:

Some added detail from here:

4. If you search the book 'On Active Service With the Chinese Regt' in google books there is a preview of the book and it looks like quite a lot of the book has been previewed online.
  5. Not too much, but surely this was the reigiment created as a garrison for Wei-Ha-Wei, the U.K. bit in North China? :? They served in the Boxer Rebellion I believe, but they were disbanded in 1906.

(Beaten out by a faster poster! :D )
  6. I think that they were also known as the Wei Hei Wei Regiment or Wei Hei wei garrison troops. At least that was probably their origin. Wei Hei Wei was a coaling station in Northern China and was originally taken by the Japs. We took over the lease for as long as the Russians remained in Port Arthur. After the Japs whipped the Russians in 1905 the Royal Navy left Wei Hei Wei.

Not sure what happened to the Regt. I'm guessing that it would have been staffed with British officers, maybe seconded from the Hong Kong or other 'coolie' (don't mean that in a derogatory way) regiments. Sorry, not of much more use. Info on the www is indeed thin on the ground.

Edited to add Ruckerwocman and exploding trousers got there first.
  7. The book you've linked to is coincidentally available online at The Internet Archive

I can't say I know to much about the details of how and why they were raised, but they saw a fair bit of fighting around Tiensin and the relief of the Legations in Peking. They seem to have been a 'John Company' type affair, local troops trained and equipped in European style and officered by Brits.

The officers (perhaps not unnaturally) seemed to have a high regard for the soldierly abilities of their men.
  8. Is there any historical link to the Hong Kong Volunteer Defence Corps of 1941 fame, do you think (which bizarrely also included Scottish and Portuguese companies, as well as Chinese)?
  9. I don't think so but I've got a couple of books about the HK regt. so will check this w/end.

The other 'unknown' contribution of the Chinese was the Chinese Labour Corps, which served in France in WW1.

Chinese Labour Corp 1

Chinese Labour Corps 2
  10. Cheers,

Yeah, I came across some Chinese Labour Corps graves at Hesdin, on my way up to Azincourt a few years back.
  11. seaweed

seaweed LE Book Reviewer

Wei-Hai-Wei was one of our (many overseas) naval bases right up to the 1930s. The China Squadron used to migrate there in the summer when Hong Kong got too hot. Read all about palmy days there in 'Pack and Follow', Joy Packer, Eyre and Spottiswoode 1945.
  12. The only British unit to fight in China in WW1, was 2nd Batt The South Wales Borderers who were at the siege of Tsingtao with the Japanese, from the 2nd of October untill the 7th November 1914, funny enough the German built brewery is still to this day making a rather nice beer.
  13. AlienFTM

AlienFTM LE Book Reviewer

My wife recently discovered that one of her ancestors had been a (British) Sergeant in the Chinese Labour Corps (after being invalided out of the regulars IIRC). I think he may have died in service and been buried in France somewhere, but TBH it's her side of the family and it didn't all sink in.
  14. RP578

RP578 LE Book Reviewer

Thanks for all the replies. I found this site whilst searching last night: Victorian Wars Forum which had a couple of posts on the subject: Chinese Regt & HK Regt

Tsing Tao or Qingdao is in Shandong province also, so the Chinese Regt may well have been used in that action.

15. Just found this on Google Image
    A Chinese regiment member

It was the port that the fleet comanded by Graf Von Spree was based, which was wipped out by Adm Doverton Sturdy at the Falkland Islands folowing the shambles at Coronel