The Chinese - not a great bunch of lads

overopensights

ADC
Book Reviewer
I have a couple of Photos taken by Dad of a Japanese Destroyer in Shanghai harbour as they had a Cantoonment in the international protectorate at the time. Perhaps you know this but the very first protest against Japanese attrocities came from the German attaché . Dad was doing the convoy runs from S to Peking before leaving in 1933.
Yes I did know that, it was in Nanjing, two Jap officers were running about in a two man competition to behead as many Chinese as they could. The German Attache got to hear of it he did all that he could to bring it to a halt. I am not sure if this was before the war with Germany had started? The Chinese claim to have lost 100.000 people in Nanjing mostly to the Samurai sword and the bayonet.

Yes I did know that, it was in Nanjing, two Jap officers were running about in a two man competition to behead as many Chinese as they could. The German Attache got to hear of it he did all that he could to bring it to a halt. I am not sure if this was before the war with Germany had started? The Chinese claim to have lost 100.000 people in Nanjing mostly to the Samurai sword and the bayonet.
Did any Indians try and make it to Nanking after hearing about the mass rapes going on?

overopensights

ADC
Book Reviewer
Did any Indians try and make it to Nanking after hearing about the mass rapes going on?
I don't think the Nips liked the Indians much either!

miner69er

Old-Salt
Not a great lover of the Gruniad but I see they haveshown that money does overcome religion:
Why do Muslim states stay silent over China’s abuse of the Uighurs?
It may be a cheap point but it remains true that if a western country were to display one-tenth, one-hundredth or one-thousandth of the brutality that China is inflicting on Muslims, the global left would be burning with outrage.

overopensights

ADC
Book Reviewer
I'm pretty sure it came from the Chinese government...
Who would have protested the atrocities? The nationalists or Communists or both? I know the Nationalists had the shout at the time. I find it odd that the Chinese feel that Mao did most during WW2, but I can only find stuff on him sitting it out in Shanxi? Perhaps you will enlighten me.

Who would have protested the atrocities?
The KMT were the recognised government of the Republic of China, although the Japanese, their Axis allies and a few of their nastier hangers-on (Croatia, Spain, etc.) recognised the 'Reorganized National Government' installed by Japan as a puppet regime once they'd occupied Nanking. The KMT raised protests to international level and the extent of Japanese atrocities were a recurring feature in their dealings with the other allies over the conduct of the war (see Chiang's open reluctance to commit forces to Burma instead of using them to defend more Chinese territory).
I find it odd that the Chinese feel that Mao did most during WW2, but I can only find stuff on him sitting it out in Shanxi? Perhaps you will enlighten me.
For most of the Cold War, the official PRC line was that the CCP organised partisans, built an army and then emerged to deal the Japanese a crushing blow, while the KMT postured ineffectively and corruptly on the sidelines. The reality is that the heavy lifting was done by the Nationalists and the CCP contributed most to making it next to impossible for Japanese to move safely in 'liberated' territory, through ambushes, sabotage and other classic resistance activities.

Interestingly, from the second half of the 2000s, official Chinese history has recognised the KMT's contribution more readily and even lauds their efforts at Hengyang, crediting them with breaking the will of the IJA to keep expanding its control over Chinese territory.

John Rabe

I am pretty certain you are refering to John Rabe, the German Consul of Nanking overopensights. He is credited with saving over 250,000 chinese lives in the International safety zone, marked ironically with Swastika flags. He was a staunch Nazi member at the time, although he became disillushioned with them on his return to Germany after he found out what they were really like.

He seems to have been treated very shabbily after the war, but he is still regarded today as the 'Hero of Nanking'.

Taiping Rebellion

One of the bloodiest wars in history with a death toll higher than WW2 apparently. General Gordon of Khartoum was instrumental in putting it down. He was always known as Chinese Gordon after this, until his unfortunate demise in the Sudan. Our very own Colonel Harry Paget Flashman, late 11th Hussars also had a part I believe.

I don't think the Nips liked the Indians much either!
IIRC a series of images of IJA troops zeroing captured SMLE's on captured Sikhs and then using Bayonets on them

In New Guinea they used them as Mobile food

General Gordon of Khartoum was instrumental in putting it down.
His part was pretty much limited to defending the European Treaty Ports and the EVA never operated more than 30 miles from Shanghai. The bulk of the fighting against the Taiping was carried out by provincial armies, notably from Hunan and Anhui,

overopensights

ADC
Book Reviewer
They quite liked the idea though of forming an army from captured POW's in Singapore to use against us in Burma.

Indian National Army
True but were they effective as an allia for the nips, most went over just for the scoff, and were admonished in 1945.

Another article about the Chinese treatment of the Uighurs, this time firsthand testimony from someone who claims to have been in one of the gulags and managed to escape.

Shocking stuff, unsurprisingly.
smartascarrots will be along shortly to explain that the Uighurs started it/deserve it/are exaggerating and the PRC are well within their rights.

True but were they effective as an allia for the nips, most went over just for the scoff, and were admonished in 1945.
The Chinese were not gentle with the Indian population when the allies returned to Singapore. They did not see them as anything more than collaborators with the Japanese.

Nigel Farage recalls irritating protests outside his EU office and the recent realisation of who these people were and what was happening to their relatives and friends back in China. The source of these revelations to him was a BBC R4 documentary called "The Briefing Room" and presented by David Aaranovich. As Farage says, this is about morals and goes beyond left or right politics. A bit late to the conversation but at least he is talking about it.

For some time now Maajid Nawaz has already been making people aware of China's Belt and Road initiative, Emperor Xi of what is essentially a Chinese empire and the plight of the Uighurs.

Chinese Communist Party Ruthlessness Knows No Bounds | Opinion
NIGEL FARAGE , BREXIT PARTY LEADER AND SENIOR EDITOR-AT-LARGE, "THE DEBATE"
ON 7/20/20 AT 6:30 AM EDT
https://www.newsweek.com/chinese-communist-party-ruthlessness-knows-no-bounds-opinion-1518928

U.S is starting to turn a few screws.

offog

LE
China also ordering consulate closing, tit of tat.

Apparently the Chinese are taking mass DNA samples from as many of their people as possible, even people who are not criminals. China is just a huge police state, striking similarities to the Nazis.