The Chinese - not a great bunch of lads

Magic Grandpa and Dianne Fatberg seem to love them
Well apparently they fit part of the narrative, like all Marxists they don’t like being told about the Millions they have killed.

We like to think we're good lads and we invented concentration camps.

Yet another invention we let others develop and beat us at.....
....I'll get me coat...

Yokel

LE
Her Wikipedia page tells a very different story.
But anyone can edit Wikipedia pages. Yes - anyone. You do not even need an account. Politicians and their staff have been known to manipulate it.

What do we make of media reports of African workers in China being thrown out of their housing or being denied service in shops?

Maybe Diane Abbott hates Africans, so she keeps quiet?

Last edited:

exsniffer

Old-Salt
Incorrect. The Americans were the first during the Philippines colonisation campaigns.
Fair enough. We just used them extensively.

That must make it alright, then.

When has what the PRC publicise been the determining factor in which ones we hear about? I'll ask again - how many of the 56 recognised ethnic minorities do we hear about getting a hard time off the PRC state?

I'll also ask a follow up question - why is it those ones and not any of the 54 others?
Well my point is right at this particular juncture, with the BBC preoccupied, we’re hearing very little About the outside world. We know about Hong Kong of course. Add that the marked reluctance of PRC to tell us about what shouldn’t be happening not to mention the uncritical position of some of the opposition, what would we be expected to hear. One could even argue that media is colluding in suppressing information For various reasons. Personally I feel that’s a grave disservice to those we don’t know about.

Yokel

LE
Whilst they were morally wrong, there is a difference between camps for the internnent of hostile or potentially hostile civilians and ones operating as part of an effort to eliminate part of the population.

Not that I am suggesting the PRC are attempting to do that, in case you wondered.

Well my point is right at this particular juncture
Your point appeared to be that the PRC was capable of suppressing all outside awareness of abuses of its ethnic minorities, despite the fact we're discussing reports of it abusing its ethnic minorities.

One could even argue that media is colluding in suppressing information For various reasons. Personally I feel that’s a grave disservice to those we don’t know about.
Your point now seems to be that outside media know all about it but are suppressing it, despite our hearing these reports on outside media.

Mine was that since it's been impossible to staunch leaks about any of their previous security crackdowns against Uighur, Tibetans or even Han, it would be unrealistic to expect them to have been able to staunch leaks about security crackdowns against other minorities.

Whilst they were morally wrong, there is a difference between camps for the internnent of hostile or potentially hostile civilians and ones operating as part of an effort to eliminate part of the population.

Not that I am suggesting the PRC are attempting to do that, in case you wondered.
Forced sterilisation is rather leaning towards eliminating part of the population though

Your point appeared to be that the PRC was capable of suppressing all outside awareness of abuses of its ethnic minorities, despite the fact we're discussing reports of it abusing its ethnic minorities.

Your point now seems to be that outside media know all about it but are suppressing it, despite our hearing these reports on outside media.

Mine was that since it's been impossible to staunch leaks about any of their previous security crackdowns against Uighur, Tibetans or even Han, it would be unrealistic to expect them to have been able to staunch leaks about security crackdowns against other minorities.
Which does suggest that if PRC can’t prevent leaks, press can’t be interested. Moreover the abuses of people’s elsewhere tends to be about reinforcing control and political expediency, backed by the knowledge that no one other country will intervene. It therefore includes a political message.

Grownup_Rafbrat

LE
Book Reviewer
Forced sterilisation is rather leaning towards eliminating part of the population though
As is forcing its females to mate with Chinese males - breeding them out of existence is a longer term strategy that imprisoning and live organ farming .

Which does suggest that if PRC can’t prevent leaks, press can’t be interested.
Eh? How?

The press is generally intensely interested in anything that can be used to knock the PRC. How else do you think we ever hear about it?

As is forcing its females to mate with Chinese males - breeding them out of existence is a longer term strategy that imprisoning and live organ farming .
Although the one child policy and offing/dumping of female children has apparently resulted in a generation of Chinese men, most of whom will likely never find a mate of their own ethnicity.

Trans-sane

LE
Book Reviewer
Although the one child policy and offing/dumping of female children has apparently resulted in a generation of Chinese men, most of whom will likely never find a mate of their own ethnicity.
Or quite possibly at all.

Who knows? Big world out there and they're pretty expansionist.

They may turn out to be like the Portuguese who basically fucked their way into wherever they went, while the French, British and so on merely colonised.

Who knows? Big world out there and they're pretty expansionist.

They may turn out to be like the Portuguese who basically fucked their way into wherever they went, while the French, British and so on merely colonised.
It's the International Chinese Communist Conspiracy

I know a bloke who is a minister in the Manx Govt.
Thirty years ago he worked for Jardine MathEdson in Honkers.
He prophersised that little conundrum To me twenty years ago.
And rather darkly foretold that for many of them relief would come from joining the army with the chance to “ acquire “ female company from abroad. not necessarily with their acquiesce.!

Eh? How?

The press is generally intensely interested in anything that can be used to knock the PRC. How else do you think we ever hear about it?
Not quite, the Press tend to be interested in the press and what sells. I have no interest in knocking the Chinese for the sake of it. When the Chinese have had enough of the current regime they’ll get rid of it.

Latest Threads