The Chinese - not a great bunch of lads

Ah, the new, much looked forward to, colonialism.

Wonder how that's working out for the taxi driver in Nairobi a few years ago who spent the journey frothing at me how bad the British were, and telling me he was looking forward to the Chinese arriving to right all the wrongs.
Mao replacing Mau Mau

Just how many times is this occurring... and why we should be generous to Chinese nationals and let theme study here without extensive background checks?

One word - Idiotic.
And the background checks would yield what? We are not dealing with fools, this is a nation that spends its time monitoring its people and I would imagine they have identitys from birth to present day carefully honed to fit many people. The person does not have to be born a spy but the spy identity could have been born many years before now and slowly built up with documents etc and come 2019 slot in the most suitable spy to the identity already created 20 years ago.

And the background checks would yield what? We are not dealing with fools, this is a nation that spends its time monitoring its people and I would imagine they have identitys from birth to present day carefully honed to fit many people. The person does not have to be born a spy but the spy identity could have been born many years before now and slowly built up with documents etc and come 2019 slot in the most suitable spy to the identity already created 20 years ago.
They found out this guy was a Major in the PLA. Let’s not make it easy for them.

Yep. Old news but "we" never seem to learn.

Spies Among Us
Ira Winkler talked about his book Spies Among Us: How to Stop the Spies, Terrorists, Hackers, and Criminals You Don’t Even Know You Encounter Every Day, published by Wiley. In his book the author shared his security secrets as well as what he described as cost-effective countermeasures for all types of attacks. He talked about how companies and individuals can protect themselves from hacking and identity theft. A former security analyst at the National Security Agency, Ira Winkler is the founder and president of the Internet Security Advisors Group and former director of technology at the International Computer Security Association

Link to CSpan video:
<em>Spies Among Us</em>

Preamble around 25 mins sets the background for how he got in to computer security. He partnered up with an ex GRU Russian who understands Chinese. This is where it gets relevant at 25 mins in.

Despite the seeming obsession with inviting communists on to news and politics programmes, the BBC did publish an article about Chinese spies in the West in 2018.

Looking for China’s spies by Gordon Corera deals with an attempt to steal tech data from GE Aviation.

"The US says Xu’s case is emblematic of China’s plan - intelligence officials working hand-in-glove with Chinese companies to steal technical secrets from the West and then use them to advance their own economy."

“From a perspective of threat against United States national security and our interests, [the] Chinese is number one by far,” says Bill Evanina, a former FBI official who is now director of the US National Counterintelligence and Security Center which co-ordinates the defence of America against foreign spies. Looking for China's spies - BBC News

Gordon wrote his own book "Russians Among Us", so he may be familiar with Mr Winkler's book.
Russians Among Us by Gordon Corera review – spies in plain sight
I shall keep a special eye out from now on then, on the staff of my local Chinese take-away, the Peking Palace.

Yokel

LE
Emma Dent Coad - name rings a bell. Something to do with being the head of a left leaning authority that used dangerously combustible cladding on high rise towers, and denying responsibility.

Very Maoist - on the side of the workers? Not so much.

Remind me - how does Beijing treat minorities?

Reeducation camps and harvesting political prisoners organs for profit

If they cause political problems, usually with a very heavy hand. If they don't, it tends to drown them in cream.

There are 56 officially-recognised minorities in the PRC. How many have you heard about getting the Big Stick?

How many would they publicise?
As few as they can.

'More than 400 pages of internal Chinese documents provide an unprecedented inside look at the crackdown on ethnic minorities in the Xinjiang region.'

How many would they publicise?
When has what the PRC publicise been the determining factor in which ones we hear about? I'll ask again - how many of the 56 recognised ethnic minorities do we hear about getting a hard time off the PRC state?

I'll also ask a follow up question - why is it those ones and not any of the 54 others?

As few as they can.

'More than 400 pages of internal Chinese documents provide an unprecedented inside look at the crackdown on ethnic minorities in the Xinjiang region.'

To quote from the article " Terrorist attacks abroad and the drawdown of American troops in Afghanistan heightened the leadership’s fears and helped shape the crackdown. Officials argued that attacks in Britain resulted from policies that put “human rights above security,” and Mr. Xi urged the party to emulate aspects of America’s “war on terror” after the Sept. 11 attacks. "

They make a good point.

They make a good point.
They have a great deal of experience of terrorism and massacre in Xinjiang going back at least to the Soviet Afghan war.

Apart from regular mass-murders, they've also had to contend with South Armagh writ across a territory 5 times the size of Germany.

If they cause political problems, usually with a very heavy hand. If they don't, it tends to drown them in cream.

There are 56 officially-recognised minorities in the PRC. How many have you heard about getting the Big Stick?
Concentration Camps and Mass Murder, sound like a good bunch of lads!

Le_addeur_noir

On ROPS
On ROPs
More on the 48 group, dubbed Beijing's useful idiots in the Daily unmentionable,

Funny how Tony Blair is prominent in this bunch of alleged traitors.

Concentration Camps and Mass Murder, sound like a good bunch of lads!
We like to think we're good lads and we invented concentration camps.