The Chinese - not a great bunch of lads

France 24 reports books being removed from Hong Kong libraries.

Hong Kong libraries pull books by territory’s pro-democracy activists in wake of China security law

"Books written by prominent Hong Kong democracy activists have started to disappear from the territory's libraries, online records show, days after Beijing imposed a draconian national security law on the finance hub."

Hong Kong libraries pull books by territory’s pro-democracy activists in wake of China security law

How long before public book burning in the streets...reminds you of anything?

What do China’s sweeping new national security powers allow?
JOHNNY PATTERSON

Johnny Patterson, Director of Hong Kong Watch, gives some examples of what could occur under the new security laws in Hong Kong. Some people he knows have broken contact with him out of fear that they could be arrested.

What do China's sweeping new national security powers allow? - 1828 - Championing Freedom

Maajid Nawaz was talking about China today and asking why the media are obsessed by Trump trivia but ignore the concentration camps in China, harvesting human hair and organs. (Is this the future that Maoists like Andrew Marr and John McDonnell relish?) Maajid discussed the ridiculous supply situation we found ourselves in, which was amplified and made more obvious with so much PPE being sourced from the PRC.
Video and text here:
Maajid Nawaz destroys Chinese government for "genocide" against Uighur Muslims

Here is his excellent article from April. Well worth a read.

Is China preparing for war?
There's a reason Beijing is aggressively pursuing a policy of total national self-sufficiency
BY MAAJID NAWAZ

Is China preparing for war? - UnHerd

It is interesting that Sky News Australia covered his story. China 'preparing for war with the West' | Sky News Australia

Here is an insight in to intimidation and punishment by the CCP of ethnic groups who they view with suspicion.
France 24
WITNESS ACCOUNT

Breaking the silence on China’s ‘two-faced’ campaign against Uighurs
Breaking the silence on China’s ‘two-faced’ campaign against Uighurs

Last edited:
Relations getting quite sniffy between China and Oz. I wonder how long the inevitable retaliation, either by the PRC or patriotic hacktivists, will take?

dfat.png

DFAT has changed its travel warning for China to include the risk of 'arbitrary detention'. Picture: SuppliedSource:Supplied

'Australians have been warned not to travel to China as they risk “arbitrary detention” by the Communist regime.

'The Department of Foreign Affairs has issued a new warning of the risk of hostage diplomacy noting that foreigners have been detained without reason over claims they are “endangering national security.” The official travel advice for China has not changed, but the warning over the risk that the regime could effectively arrest foreigners and take them hostage is a dramatic escalation of the content of that advice. “China will not allow most foreigners to enter China,’’ the update warns.

“Direct flights between China and Australia have significantly reduced. If despite our advice you travel to China, you’ll be subject to 14 days mandatory quarantine. Quarantine requirements may change at short notice. If you’re already in China, and wish to return to Australia, we recommend you do so as soon as possible by commercial means. Authorities have detained foreigners because they’re ‘endangering national security’. Australians may also be at risk of arbitrary detention. We haven’t changed our level of advice. Do not travel to China.”

The Kiwi's had the same problem, hordes of them buying up property around Auckland helping drive the prices through the roof, a lot of them sitting empty. NZ made it law that only permanent residents can purchase property now.
Im moving to NZ once the wife and kids leave the roost!

I see the Americans have put some CCP party officials on sanctions:

There seems to be a louder rhetoric against the CCP - language like, ‘it’s not the Chinese it’s the CCP’ is revolutionary talk.

Is it time for a current affairs thread on China Communist Party and the drift to war, Covid payback etc all in one place?

Whilst I am well aware of media and government desires to keep the bogeyman alive and kicking, the CCP seem to be doing a lot of threatening!

I don’t really get uneasy about global power shuffling, I never once considered the Cold War would go hot and I don’t see a credible threat from China despite all the doomsayers.

That said, for a few reasons I would like the banning of Chinese made infrastructure (5g, mobile and Huawei for example) but that is not only for National Security because I believe any country who wants to be independent should have this as sovereign capability including encryption.

Similar with pharmaceuticals and to an extent metal manufacturing. I don’t really care about the company ownership, the government can put ‘step in clauses’ in their license to operate if they try to get National in our country.

Without China being able to roll through the Fulda Gap a minor incursion into the South China Sea is unlikely to threaten global dominance, where will this go?

Im moving to NZ once the wife and kids leave the roost!
Might not be that easy. There is a growing anti immigrant sentiment in NZ just now, that along with the horrific cost of living, very substandard housing and low wages make it very unappealing. I spent a long time figuring out if it was for us and I just couldn't make the numbers work, you could argue that money isn't everything but you need money to enjoy at least some quality of life. Don't get me wrong, it's an amazing place, if you have the money.

Might not be that easy. There is a growing anti immigrant sentiment in NZ just now, that along with the horrific cost of living, very substandard housing and low wages make it very unappealing. I spent a long time figuring out if it was for us and I just couldn't make the numbers work, you could argue that money isn't everything but you need money to enjoy at least some quality of life. Don't get me wrong, it's an amazing place, if you have the money.
I migrated to Australia 13 years ago so I think I can move out there on my passport?

However, I hear what you are saying about wages, we had a few locations over there where I could have applied and the (australian based) hiring manager said the same thing, "it may be a promotion but your pay will go down heaps".

I migrated to Australia 13 years ago so I think I can move out there on my passport?

However, I hear what you are saying about wages, we had a few locations over there where I could have applied and the (australian based) hiring manager said the same thing, "it may be a promotion but your pay will go down heaps".
With the trans Tasman free travel agreement you should be able to move across no bother. If you're moving from Aus to NZ then the pay disparity is even bigger. Pay in Aus is generally higher than UK, SWMBO could get paid double what she does in the UK while working less hours.

Regarding the re-location of Hong Kongers to the UK, things are starting already. The Convoys Wharf development project, owned by a Hong Kong tycoon, has been given approval (after waiting 15 years).
Report here:

Regarding the re-location of Hong Kongers to the UK, things are starting already. The Convoys Wharf development project, owned by a Hong Kong tycoon, has been given approval (after waiting 15 years).
Report here:
FIFTEEN years of red tape! Yet some projects with ill considered consequences can get rushed through. I hope this works out though.

Le_addeur_noir

On ROPS
On ROPs
AFP is reporting, via The Australian, poor behaviour by Chinese in Zimbabwe:

Chinese bosses accused of ‘rampant abuse’ in Zimbabwe

A Zimbabwean rights group has accused Chinese-run mining companies of “rampant abuse” after two workers were shot and wounded, allegedly by their Chinese boss, after they complained about outstanding wages.
Police in the central city of Gweru said the dispute erupted on June 21, when coalmine owner Zhang Xuelin, 41, reneged on a promise to pay wages in US dollars instead of the local currency, whose value is fast depreciating.

He allegedly tried to sack some of the most vocal workers, leading to an argument during which Mr Zhang allegedly shot one of them in both thighs. A second worker had a bullet graze through his chin, said police.

Mr Zhang has been charged with attempted murder and released on bail.

On Tuesday the Zimbabwe Environmental Lawyers Association slammed the ethics of Chinese employers in the country. “Wages are often very low and in many cases are not paid on time,” it said.

China has funded and provided loans for many infrastructure projects across Africa in recent years, including the new parliament in Zimbabwe.

Tensions over Beijing’s strong presence have also boiled over in neighbouring Zambia where three Chinese factory bosses were allegedly killed by disgruntled employees in May.

Charged with murder . . . and released on bail. Nice version of justice if you can get it. Off to the airport tout de suite, no doubt.
With no doubt Zimbabwe plod pocketing a large 'commission'.

A different op ed, ditching the 'China returning to its historical global position' commentary for a far more challenging, adversarial position in the post 'US Hegemony' world.

'It’s not a clash of civilisations. It’s not Christianity versus Confucianism. It’s not thousands of years of Eastern tradition competing with that of the West. Despite intense efforts to justify its hostile behaviour as such, Beijing’s belligerence towards Australia and the West is about ambition.

'China has entered a “new era” Chairman Xi Jinping declared in 2017. It will now “take centre stage in the world”. And the supreme leader of the world’s top superpower will be himself. Xi’s been pushing a narrative of China having been “humiliated” by the West over the past 200 years to win public support. It’s now time for “national rejuvenation” and for China to become the “global leader” he proclaims. It’s time for Chinese “wisdom” to form the basis of “a community of common destiny for all mankind”.

'Behind it all, analysts argue, is an authoritarian leader preoccupied with the survival of his regime. This makes Mr Xi “allergic” to Western criticisms of his oppressive policies. The Chinese Communist Party desperately does not want his people to think the grass is greener on the democratic side of the fence. So, Beijing has set out to reshape the global order in a way that reflects Mr Xi’s interests and is more tolerant of his authoritarian rule.'

The Chinese Communist Party desperately does not want his people to think the grass is greener on the democratic side of the fence.
They only have to look a few hundred miles South to the Republic of Korea to see how green that grass is on the democratic side of the fence. Especially as Korean culture (drama, food, music etc) dominates Asia including China.

How long before public book burning in the streets...reminds you of anything?
You boring us all about some Jewish connection?
Despite the fact the Chinese have a legend of book burning's over 2000 years ago.

offog

LE
Do we have that much bronze to build a statue to Di even if it was a small one?

I wonder if Di's attitude to the Hong Kong Chinese will change if a lot turn up in her constituency.

It's a pity Di didn't read up on democracy in Hong Kong before making these comments.
1960s
China's leaders explicitly wanted to "preserve the colonial status of Hong Kong".[21] Liao Chengzhi, a senior Chinese official in charge of Hong Kong affairs, said in 1960 that China "shall not hesitate to take positive action to have Hong Kong, Kowloon and New Territories liberated" should the status quo (i.e. colonial administration) be changed. The warning killed any democratic development for the next three decades.[22]

So it was the Chinese who stopped democracy not the British Empire.

Just how many times is this occurring... and why we should be generous to Chinese nationals and let theme study here without extensive background checks?

One word - Idiotic.

Last edited:
I should Collate a list of all the recent arrests of U.S nationals working for the PRC and PRC spurs caught... I think most people have no idea .

Just how many times is this occurring... and why we should be generous to Chinese nationals and let theme study here without extensive background checks?

One word - Idiotic.
Yep. Old news but "we" never seem to learn.

Spies Among Us
Ira Winkler talked about his book Spies Among Us: How to Stop the Spies, Terrorists, Hackers, and Criminals You Don’t Even Know You Encounter Every Day, published by Wiley. In his book the author shared his security secrets as well as what he described as cost-effective countermeasures for all types of attacks. He talked about how companies and individuals can protect themselves from hacking and identity theft. A former security analyst at the National Security Agency, Ira Winkler is the founder and president of the Internet Security Advisors Group and former director of technology at the International Computer Security Association

Link to CSpan video:
<em>Spies Among Us</em>

Preamble around 25 mins sets the background for how he got in to computer security. He partnered up with an ex GRU Russian who understands Chinese. This is where it gets relevant at 25 mins in.

Despite the seeming obsession with inviting communists on to news and politics programmes, the BBC did publish an article about Chinese spies in the West in 2018.

Looking for China’s spies by Gordon Corera deals with an attempt to steal tech data from GE Aviation.

"The US says Xu’s case is emblematic of China’s plan - intelligence officials working hand-in-glove with Chinese companies to steal technical secrets from the West and then use them to advance their own economy."

“From a perspective of threat against United States national security and our interests, [the] Chinese is number one by far,” says Bill Evanina, a former FBI official who is now director of the US National Counterintelligence and Security Center which co-ordinates the defence of America against foreign spies. Looking for China's spies - BBC News

Gordon wrote his own book "Russians Among Us", so he may be familiar with Mr Winkler's book.
Russians Among Us by Gordon Corera review – spies in plain sight

Last edited:

Latest Threads