The Chinese - not a great bunch of lads

It will be interesting to see if sufficient technical and political attribution can be made for the outcome announced in open source.

'Spy agencies sounded the alarm to the Prime Minister Scott Morrison last night to alert the nation to prepare for more cyber attacks that China is suspected of masterminding.

'Government sources have confirmed that the trigger for today’s announcement was a warning from spy agencies that given tthe increasing tempo of attacks that companies and state governments needed to prepare and safeguard IT systems. As a result, the Prime Minister rang state premiers last night alerting the leaders to the increased level of attacks and to expect more in the weeks ahead, not to advise them of a single attack that was imminent or underway.

'While protocol demands that Mr Morrison does not formally identify China, nobody in the government is in any doubt about the chief suspect. “I can confirm, with confidence, based on the advice, the technical advice that we have received, is that this is the action of a state-based actor with significant capabilities,” the Prime Minister said.'

The Australian Paymaster General really doesn't like to be crossed. Did it ever cross the minds of successive governments in Canberra - and in the State capitals - that selling holes in the ground, containing the Crown Jewels, to China could result in a singularly vast vulnerability?

Last edited:
i think invading India is probably a bit like bit like invading China - 1 million prisoners to manage and feed on day 1, 5 million prisoners to manage and feed on day 2, 10 million prisoners to manage and feed on day three,
If it did kick off they might be doing us a favour. The West lost out in WW1 & 2. If some of Asia's surplus population was wiped out they would be less of a threat.

Mind you, they breed like rabbits so it'll only take a week for them to be up to 8 billion again.

overopensights

ADC
Book Reviewer
@overopensights My OH deals with a Chinese company regularly and they’ve just cancelled an order, with very little notice and are returning her money ($3,600) minus a $100 handling charge. For the privilege of trying to buy from them, they’re charging her $100 and to add insult to injury, they say 15 working days to return the money. They’ve said that the fault is that the world do not trust Chinese goods at the moment and their government won’t allow her order out of the country until Peru accepts them...(Before they get to Peruvian C&E.).

ETA. Herself has corrected me, it is $200 not 100.
In every business situation 'The Chinese always have to win' it's a bloody windup! Its all this loss of face shite! The Chinese economy must be losing billions at present.

I'm sure there's a lot more to this story, but whatever the circumstances, it does illustrate an increasing belligerence by China in the SCS.

'A Chinese Coast Guard vessel has rammed a Vietnamese fishing boat in the South China Sea, prompting fears Beijing is preparing to enforce its illegal claims to the territory.

'Vietnamese state media reported a Chinese ship bearing the hull number 4006 had rammed a fishing boat near Lincoln Island in the Paracel Islands. Beijing seized the island chain during its 1974 war with Hanoi. Both nations continue to claim sovereignty.

'The fishing boat’s captain says all 16 of his crew leapt overboard after the hull was breached. Chinese sailors then allegedly boarded the wallowing vessel, seized fish and navigation equipment, and beat and kicked rescued fishermen ordered to pump water out of the damaged vessel. The stricken craft was assisted in its return to Vietnam by other fishers.

'It’s the second time in two months a Vietnamese vessel has been rammed. A Chinese Coast Guard cutter sank a fishing boat on April 2. Beijing insisted the Vietnamese craft had rammed the Chinese ship and sunk itself.'

China tightens the nut on Hong Kong

China to set up national security bureau in Hong Kong
The office will implement a new law aimed at cracking down on dissent, terrorism and "collusion with foreign powers." In addition, bodies in all Hong Kong government departments will be directly answerable to Beijing.

China to set up national security bureau in Hong Kong | DW | 20.06.2020

Next up is an interview by Marc Perleman of France 24 with Chinese Ambassador Lu Shaye...

In an interview with FRANCE 24, Lu Shaye, the Chinese ambassador to France, discussed the current tensions between Beijing and Washington. He also talked about China charging two detained Canadians with spying, plus the situation in Hong Kong and the new outbreak of Covid-19 cases in Beijing.

The Interview - 'China does not want a Cold War with the US,' says Chinese ambassador to France

Last edited:

overopensights

ADC
Book Reviewer
I'm sure there's a lot more to this story, but whatever the circumstances, it does illustrate an increasing belligerence by China in the SCS.

'A Chinese Coast Guard vessel has rammed a Vietnamese fishing boat in the South China Sea, prompting fears Beijing is preparing to enforce its illegal claims to the territory.

'Vietnamese state media reported a Chinese ship bearing the hull number 4006 had rammed a fishing boat near Lincoln Island in the Paracel Islands. Beijing seized the island chain during its 1974 war with Hanoi. Both nations continue to claim sovereignty.

'The fishing boat’s captain says all 16 of his crew leapt overboard after the hull was breached. Chinese sailors then allegedly boarded the wallowing vessel, seized fish and navigation equipment, and beat and kicked rescued fishermen ordered to pump water out of the damaged vessel. The stricken craft was assisted in its return to Vietnam by other fishers.

'It’s the second time in two months a Vietnamese vessel has been rammed. A Chinese Coast Guard cutter sank a fishing boat on April 2. Beijing insisted the Vietnamese craft had rammed the Chinese ship and sunk itself.'

The Vietnamese beat the Chinese army easily when the Chinese attacked them in 1979. It would be a turnup for the books now, if the US were to become allies of the Vietnamese against China in a forthcoming punchup?

The Vietnamese beat the Chinese army easily when the Chinese attacked them in 1979. It would be a turnup for the books now, if the US were to become allies of the Vietnamese against China in a forthcoming punchup?
The PRC has learnt lessons well, so I wouldnt put money on the Vietnamese repeating that. The PRC has money, plenty of kit and plenty of bodies, the Vietnamese no so much.

The Vietnamese beat the Chinese army easily when the Chinese attacked them in 1979.
And were trounced when they tried to seize some border territory in the mid-80s. More relevant to a maritime dispute, the Vietnamese navy got bronze in a two-man competition each time they've knocked heads with PLAN.

It would be a turnup for the books now, if the US were to become allies of the Vietnamese against China in a forthcoming punchup?
I wonder if the US'd see the irony in siding with a Communist-run one party Leninist state with an appalling Human Rights record 'in the cause of freedom'?

And were trounced when they tried to seize some border territory in the mid-80s. More relevant to a maritime dispute, the Vietnamese navy got bronze in a two-man competition each time they've knocked heads with PLAN.

I wonder if the US'd see the irony in siding with a Communist-run one party Leninist state with an appalling Human Rights record 'in the cause of freedom'?
Henry Kissinger — 'America has no permanent friends or enemies, only interests'.

Henry Kissinger — 'America has no permanent friends or enemies, only interests'.
The same can apply to any country, including Vietnam - a country which has habitually leant on China for support for the last 500 years at least.

Joshua Slocum

LE
Book Reviewer
Zen and the art of motorcycle maintenance would have been more useful, and that's entirely fictional
only if you want to fix a motorbike
the Author had a complete mental break down some time after serving in Korea, and was given as part of his treatment electric shock treatment to the brain wiping out half of his memory
Phadreus the third party is his old self, who sometimes creeps back with old long forgotten memories
you need to read it carefully, it does actually explain the finer points of choosing a motorcycle engineer, and a few subtle points about precision engineering

Apologies for the quality of the picture, but can't access Sunday World newspaper site.

Chinese are selling knock-off replica Northern Ireland football shirts, and are selling them at sectarian friendly price of €16.90

Sunday-World-strips-IMG-3251.jpg

China imposes forced abortion, sterilisation on Uyghurs, investigation shows

Not a great bunch of lads at all. Forced abortion, forced sterilisation, forced IUD implants, detention for having 'too many' children, religious re-education.

Fixed (As quoted by Richard Wattis to Ian Carmichael in the film, The Colditz Story.1955
I've seen that film a few times but I don't ever recall that line. But, it could have lodged in my brain and I never remembered that I'd heard it before.

I'm blaming senility.

I've seen that film a few times but I don't ever recall that line. But, it could have lodged in my brain and I never remembered that I'd heard it before.

I'm blaming senility.

The two, Carmichael and Wattis are rehearsing their lines in the theatre on the top floor, the escape point from under the stage that Pat Reid and Mac McGill are about to use, in walks the big fat head of camp security, Priem, who stops and listens to this short skit, cannot understand British humour, and walks away totally dumbfounded..........

Memory jog:- In Sardinia on exercise Dawn patrol 1974, as the driver of the FFR rover, I was tasked to take a radio tech, and officer to the harbour at Porto pino, as we approached the moored yachts and cabin cruisers, I was told to give the V signal in Morse on the horn. We pulled up alongside a large yacht, the owner was pat Reid, who had heard we were on the island, and asked for assistance, as he was having trouble with his radio transceiver. I was not aware of who he was until told on the drive back to Tuleada camp.

Last edited:
If there's any truth in this tome the friends (alleged) of China want banned here, things could become interesting,

Tony Blair under the influence of a foreign dictatorship, who would have thought it?.

If there's any truth in this tome the friends (alleged) of China want banned here, things could become interesting,

Tony Blair under the influence of a foreign dictatorship, who would have thought it?.
Well, well, look who it is:
1593543301389.png

Latest Threads