The Chinese - not a great bunch of lads

Grownup_Rafbrat

LE
Book Reviewer

Issi

War Hero
Colgate bought a toothpaste manufacturer in the 1980s that produced a toothpaste called Mr Darkie. The image on the tubes was of a beaming black man. A lot of complaints to Colgate that this was an inappropiate purchase, so Colgate made the producers change the name and image. It was changed to Mr Darlie, and the image was of a top-hatted smiling gentleman in the shadows who could either be black or white. Colgate has since divested of this compnay, but the company now calls the toothpaste Darlie. At no point did the markets with Chinese languages as their main purchasers alter the language, it was still known as Mr Darkie and had all the racist eppiphets still attached, it was just in the Western language markets where it was sanitised.
View attachment 480200
I've got a tube of Darlie toothpaste. I bought it in a pharmacy in Bangkok about 7 years ago.

Last edited:
I've got a tube Darlie toothpaste. I bought it in a pharmacy in Bangkok about 7 years ago.
So, being at least 7 years old, it's only a mild biohazard now!

How about the fact that the PLA always has in every war it's fought? Even the Japanese, which ought to be evidence enough.
Is that the case ? Quite decent of them if so.

overopensights

ADC
Book Reviewer
Perhaps someone can help? The Chinese have really excelled themselves. The Chinese Banks have just brought in a system whereby when sending money to China the sender must use the whole of the receiving companies name on documentation. The problem is that these names are often ten words long, they also place commas and full stops where they are not required. These long names will not fit into on-line bank forms used by British Banks. I am at a loss. I need to get money to my suppliers in China. The Chinese banks won't help, even though I have been sending money to a particular bank for 22 years. I need to have a Bank account in China. Does anyone on here have experience of opening a bank Account on the Chinese Mainland? and what is required Please?

Perhaps someone can help? The Chinese have really excelled themselves. The Chinese Banks have just brought in a system whereby when sending money to China the sender must use the whole of the receiving companies name on documentation. The problem is that these names are often ten words long, they also place commas and full stops where they are not required. These long names will not fit into on-line bank forms used by British Banks. I am at a loss. I need to get money to my suppliers in China. The Chinese banks won't help, even though I have been sending money to a particular bank for 22 years. I need to have a Bank account in China. Does anyone on here have experience of opening a bank Account on the Chinese Mainland? and what is required Please?
PM me with a money order and I will send it on I know the system

Not a business account, unfortunately, and it was some time ago anyway. Have you tried asking your supplier's advice? If you have a longstanding relationship they might be able to help out - if nothing else, recommend a bank.

I've been buying things from China, Mongolia, Taiwan and Hong Kong for a while, all using Paypal, with no problems.
It may be worth checking if your suppliers also use it, or could use it.
That cancels your need to send money direct, and lets an experienced middleman deal with changes in legislation.

overopensights

ADC
Book Reviewer
I've been buying things from China, Mongolia, Taiwan and Hong Kong for a while, all using Paypal, with no problems.
It may be worth checking if your suppliers also use it, or could use it.
That cancels your need to send money direct, and lets an experienced middleman deal with changes in legislation.
Thank you for that, I will have a look at it, I use paypal for other reasons so lets hope there my be a solution there.

overopensights

ADC
Book Reviewer
Not a business account, unfortunately, and it was some time ago anyway. Have you tried asking your supplier's advice? If you have a longstanding relationship they might be able to help out - if nothing else, recommend a bank.
Smart as Carrots, Greetings to you! I have tried all ways in China and UK to sort this problem. The supplier in China is frightened of his Bank and does not want me to write to them ,just in case it comes back on him. Not only has the Chinese bank returned the payment after a few weeks but charged me £36 extra for each movement of funds. Many of the Chinese suppliers are in Hock to the banks; thus their fear of them.

The relationship is 22 years old, I have been paying into the same bank all this time and to the same supplier but because 'Shandong Huantai, Zhonghao foreign trading company,. limited' will not fit on any online forms, its not possible to use it. note the mistake of comma and full stop, after company, failure to put this error into the address will also mean failure to accept, and the return of funds. Its a new rule that payment must have full company name. Even though all that's required is Acc No. the Bic and reason for payment. I feel I have more work to do before I solve this problem.

@overopensights My OH deals with a Chinese company regularly and they’ve just cancelled an order, with very little notice and are returning her money ($3,600) minus a $100 handling charge. For the privilege of trying to buy from them, they’re charging her $100 and to add insult to injury, they say 15 working days to return the money. They’ve said that the fault is that the world do not trust Chinese goods at the moment and their government won’t allow her order out of the country until Peru accepts them...(Before they get to Peruvian C&E.).

ETA. Herself has corrected me, it is $200 not 100.

Last edited:
Have you tried Bitcoin?

If not you can send to me in HK

I will then buy baby milk powder and take it over the border (when it re-opens) and sell it at a profit. Pay your manufacturer and we can split the profit 70:30

That's because the name and graphics are not considered to be offensive in South East Asia in much the same way that the object below is is a sign of good luck rather than of mass murder.

The same object means different things to different people/countries/religions.

View attachment 480204
Not taking offence by proxy. What a novel idea.

It will be interesting to see if sufficient technical and political attribution can be made for the outcome to be announced in open source.

'Spy agencies sounded the alarm to the Prime Minister Scott Morrison last night to alert the nation to prepare for more cyber attacks that China is suspected of masterminding.

'Government sources have confirmed that the trigger for today’s announcement was a warning from spy agencies that given the increasing tempo of attacks that companies and state governments needed to prepare and safeguard IT systems. As a result, the Prime Minister rang state premiers last night alerting the leaders to the increased level of attacks and to expect more in the weeks ahead, not to advise them of a single attack that was imminent or underway.

'While protocol demands that Mr Morrison does not formally identify China, nobody in the government is in any doubt about the chief suspect. “I can confirm, with confidence, based on the advice, the technical advice that we have received, is that this is the action of a state-based actor with significant capabilities,” the Prime Minister said.'

Last edited:

Latest Threads