The Chinese - not a great bunch of lads

Yokel

LE
Certainly NOT the UK's MSM. It was probably Al Jazeera a couple of nights ago. There is now - apparently - a huge plague of locusts spread across the Horn of Africa, Asia Minor, and into Pakistan. (I'll avoid any reference to dominant religion of the area).

Now that I am enlightened by this thread, I do wonder why such an occurrence, is viewed as a "plague" and not as a "Gift from God" ?!

Huge lengths of, fine-mesh, light-weight, netting (as used around the Mediterranean for trapping little birds), supported by light-weight (split) bamboo rods (or modern fishing-rod like materials), would seem ideal for harvesting such an - obviously the low-flying - source of food/protein.

Or, is it not halal?!
Insects often carry disease and are best not eaten. Locusts can strip crop harvests. Man cannot live on locusts alone.

Incidentally it has been suggested that Jewish and Islamic dietary prohinitions build on ancient knowledge of food poisoning, hundreds or thousands of years before the discovery of microbes.

napier

LE
Kit Reviewer
For sure, but give me Jakarta over Singapore.
My Wife's gone to Indonesia
Jakarta?
No, she went by aeroplane...

..my coat? why thank you.

Grownup_Rafbrat

LE
Book Reviewer
In-laws are Maltese and raise rabbits for eating. I find their rabbits are not as tasty as free range ones I've bagged out in the field.
Grandfather used to raise rabbits for food and fur during the last unpleasantness, for which he had a pass-out due to injuries from the previous one. He worked as a night watchman at Marshall's in Cambridge always a joke as one of said injuries was the blinding of one eye!

endure

GCM
Nobody eats offal any more. Liver and onions, devilled kidneys, stuffed lamb's hearts, tongue, oxtail.

All tasty and nutritious.

Grownup_Rafbrat

LE
Book Reviewer
Nobody eats offal any more. Liver and onions, devilled kidneys, stuffed lamb's hearts, tongue, oxtail.

All tasty and nutritious.
We do.

Signed
A. Minority

endure

GCM

HSF

LE
IN the 60`s in East Anglia lots of country folk kept rabbits for the pot
and locusts are edible to some people,maybe bus in loads of chinks to locust infected areas'

Grownup_Rafbrat

LE
Book Reviewer

endure

GCM
In-laws are Maltese and raise rabbits for eating. I find their rabbits are not as tasty as free range ones I've bagged out in the field.
Our cat 'Felix' said the same. He said 'it was as much about the hunt and kill as it was eating the big eared, buck toothed f*ckers'.

endure

GCM

Tool

LE
Huge lengths of, fine-mesh, light-weight, netting (as used around the Mediterranean for trapping little birds), supported by light-weight (split) bamboo rods (or modern fishing-rod like materials), would seem ideal for harvesting such an - obviously the low-flying - source of food/protein.

Or, is it not halal?!
If you've ever been in the middle of a swarm, you'll know the answer. In short - too much mass in a single area. Nets will break under the sheer number of insects per square metre, never mind the poles to support the nets. As @smartascarrots also mentions, not enough ability to get the numbers to market in time if you did manage to capture sufficient to take to market.

Rod924

LE
Kit Reviewer
Quite possibly my favourite thread title.

Anyhoo, the Donald just gone radios on the WHO, China and Honkers.

Grownup_Rafbrat

LE
Book Reviewer
Out of curiosity, how did that work out for your great uncle?
He claims it cured him, in a booklet written about his life.

Sadly I never met him due to family troubles. Happily he lived to be 90 and I am now in regular close friendly contact with his lovely granddaughter.

Shame bloody Covid 19 originated in China, now I cannot persuade SWMBO for love nor money to have a Chinese takeaway!
Try batting your eyes at her.

Latest Threads