The Chinese - not a great bunch of lads

Grownup_Rafbrat

LE
Book Reviewer

endure

GCM
Raab says he'll extend the rights of British Hing Kong passport holders if China implements new security legislation. Expect some new takeaways to open in your area soon!

Making up government policy on the fry, again. No wonder BoJo rushed back to work from his sickbed.

Similar outlook in most poor countries. The peasantry/labour class will eat anything going and protein is a valuable commodity. Nothing gets wasted and bones are picked absolutely clean. Local scavengers feel hard done by with the efficiency with which protein is gathered.

I've seen lake flies made into cakes and fried in Uganda (kind of muddy grassy flavour) and mopani worms (caterpillars of a species of emperor moth) are popular in southern Africa. They're sold in big bags along the road, already gutted and dried for the pot. You'll see roast mice for sale next to the road in Zambia and other African countries. Cane rat is popular in KZN in SA. Locusts, cockroaches, small birds and anything else that is a source of protein doesn't stand a chance. The sparrows and other small birds you see in your garden were completely unknown in eastern Angola a few years ago. They all go into the pot.

I remember on my first visit to Singapore many moons ago meeting an absolute stunning lady from Thailand in a bar (yes, she was a lady). I was a bit naive back then and she looked so sophisticated and glamorous I assumed she was a real classy lady and invited her on a date the next day.

We went to the butterfly park and I was studying the fascinating collection of insects pinned in a glass case when she looked at a particularly big black beetle and she said "ooh I used to love catching and eating them when I was a little girl in the village". It was at this point that I realised that the sort of ladies one meets in bars in the Far East might not be the sort of girl you bring home to meet Aunty May.

Another time, years later, in my home in KL we got a sudden infestation of flying insects that flooded toward the lights, the whole house was invaded with them and the swimming pool was coated in them the next morning. I was informed this is a thing that regularly happens in SE Asia, the bugs are a pain to clean up and any water surface will be clogged with them but they are harmless.

The next time it happened we now had a maid in the house and as I rushed to close doors and windows I saw her rushing to fill pots and basins with water. I asked her what she was doing, she said she was doing what she always did in times like this, she was collecting the free food for nice wee snack later.

I remember on my first visit to Singapore many moons ago meeting an absolute stunning lady from Thailand in a bar (yes, she was a lady). I was a bit naive back then and she looked so sophisticated and glamorous I assumed she was a real classy lady and invited her on a date the next day.

We went to the butterfly park and I was studying the fascinating collection of insects pinned in a glass case when she looked at a particularly big black beetle and she said "ooh I used to love catching and eating them when I was a little girl in the village". It was at this point that I realised that the sort of ladies one meets in bars in the Far East might not be the sort of girl you bring home to meet Aunty May.

Another time, years later, in my home in KL we got a sudden infestation of flying insects that flooded toward the lights, the whole house was invaded with them and the swimming pool was coated in them the next morning. I was informed this is a thing that regularly happens in SE Asia, the bugs are a pain to clean up and any water surface will be clogged with them but they are harmless.

The next time it happened we now had a maid in the house and as I rushed to close doors and windows I saw her rushing to fill pots and basins with water. I asked her what she was doing, she said she was doing what she always did in times like this, she was collecting the free food for nice wee snack later.
Quite so. First world westerners forget that what they see as garbage, many see as protein. As posted by someone, there's a limited amount of it to go around and densely populated places like China make full use of what's available, as do areas where food is scarce.

It still puzzles me why westerners wll put KFC and McNasty's in their mouths though. I have to conclude it's like the big commercial breweries - their product is shit but the amount they spend on advertising to get stupid people to drink it far outweighs what they spend on making it better. The product itself has been silenced and the qulaity (or lack thereof) no longer speaks for itself.

The shiny box and the cute plastic toy does all the talking, as does the trendy name when it comes to ale. There's a particularly gopping one in these parts, aptly named Nine Inch Nail. It feels like that's what's being hammered into your throat when you try to drink the shit. You saw it everywhere for a couple of years and a lot of people bought it for the trendy name, but they didn't last long and it disappeared from the shelves. Now and then a few bottles will show up but I think most have realised it's just a shit product. I'm pretty sure if they had SAB's advertising budget, you'd see it everywhere.

In-laws are Maltese and raise rabbits for eating. I find their rabbits are not as tasty as free range ones I've bagged in the field.
Go to a farmer's market in France, Belgium and much of the rest of Europe and you'll see bunnies for sale in cages, for the pot rather than for the kids to play with.

Go to a farmer's market in France, Belgium and much of the rest of Europe and you'll see bunnies for sale in cages, for the pot rather than for the kids to play with.
Remember to buy dressed rabbit with paws still attached.
Otherwise it's difficult to tell if it is actually a cat instead

Remember to buy dressed rabbit with paws still attached.
Otherwise it's difficult to tell if it is actually a cat instead
Paws are still attached, as the bunnies are still hopping around on them at the point of sale.

. . . . we now had a maid in the house and . . . I saw her rushing to fill pots and basins with water. I asked her what she was doing, she said . . . . she was collecting the free food for nice wee snack later.
Quite so. First world westerners forget that what they see as garbage, many see as protein . . . there's a limited amount of it to go around and densely populated places like China make full use of what's available, as do areas where food is scarce . . .
Certainly NOT the UK's MSM. It was probably Al Jazeera a couple of nights ago. There is now - apparently - a huge plague of locusts spread across the Horn of Africa, Asia Minor, and into Pakistan. (I'll avoid any reference to dominant religion of the area).

Now that I am enlightened by this thread, I do wonder why such an occurrence, is viewed as a "plague" and not as a "Gift from God" ?!

Huge lengths of, fine-mesh, light-weight, netting (as used around the Mediterranean for trapping little birds), supported by light-weight (split) bamboo rods (or modern fishing-rod like materials), would seem ideal for harvesting such an - obviously the low-flying - source of food/protein.

Or, is it not halal?!

Certainly NOT the UK's MSM. It was probably Al Jazeera a couple of nights ago. There is now - apparently - a huge plague of locusts spread across the Horn of Africa, Asia Minor, and into Pakistan. (I'll avoid any reference to dominant religion of the area).

Now that I am enlightened by this thread, I do wonder why such an occurrence, is viewed as a "plague" and not as a "Gift from God" ?!

Huge lengths of, fine-mesh, light-weight, netting (as used around the Mediterranean for trapping little birds), supported by light-weight (split) bamboo rods (or modern fishing-rod like materials), would seem ideal for harvesting such an - obviously the low-flying - source of food/protein.

Or, is it not halal?!

Or, is it not halal?!
Halal? Time for a choon:

It's probably down to the scale of these infestations and their relative concentration compared to human populations. It may not be possible for farmers to catch enough of them to make a difference in the areas affected, and even if they could they're unlikely to have the means to transport them to a market quickly or to cook/dry/preserve them for longer journeys.

Latest Threads