The Chinese - not a great bunch of lads

Fucksake, not that one again. How many times to our own virologists have to scream from the rooftops what a load of bollocks it is before people give up on it?
And French scientists complaining about lack of H&S at the laboratory creating a bat Coronavirus in Wuhan

And with China silencing medical experts in China, where anything goes against the official Chinese line

But yeah there are still mongs who believe China

The religions involved are having difficulty dragging themselves into the 17th century, so it's not surprising they like to mix spiritual authority with temporal. I've met Tibetans who have personal experience of being the tradeable property of senior Lamas and their fellow nobility so can empathise with their dislike for the Lamasic classes, and I doubt I need to say much on the subject of ethnic nationalism or Islamic extremism on an Army-themed website.

The CCP's response to these pressures is backstopped by the same priority as most states' are - to maintain a monopoly on application of state policy within their borders. Anything else is to cede effective control of territory.
I have to express agreement with your scepticism about the Dalai Lama. I really don't know enough about the situation and couldn't express a firm opinion either way but in recent years my sense of being manipulated when the media presents me with some cherubic figure and tells me he or she is the epitome of goodness has become very finely honed.

I recall a few years back a discussion I had about Burma (as we then called it), my interlocutor said something similar about the monk class in that country as you have said about the lamas, he also called me naive for believing that the fragrant Aung San Suu Kyi was the epitome of benevolence that she was being painted. I of course railed at him as a defender of a corrupt military regime, how could he not see that those monks and the delightful Ms Kyi were quite plainly saintly characters?

That's why today I am prepared to treat all claims to sainthood by people with political agendas with a large dollop of cynicism.

At least it settles the Taiwan issue... China cant be trusted/wants control/doesnt mind lying/fight or be a commie.
In English, if you wouldn't mind?

Perhaps the Han are still grateful for the help the ancestors of the Hui gave against An Lu Shan.
In recent times the Hui were staunch supporters of the KMT. A disproportionate number of top Nationalist generals were Hui.

Unremarkable

War Hero
The version I heard of the Dalai Lama's origin is that a certain Lama Gyatso visited the Khan of his time, whose translator rendered the name, Ocean in English, into Mongol as Dalai. Gyatso didn't twig and went home thinking that he was invested with a title. Wikipedia disagrees, and I regret that I don't think I have my source anymore.

I have to express agreement with your scepticism about the Dalai Lama. I really don't know enough about the situation and couldn't express a firm opinion either way but in recent years my sense of being manipulated when the media presents me with some cherubic figure and tells me he or she is the epitome of goodness has become very finely honed.

I recall a few years back a discussion I had about Burma (as we then called it), my interlocutor said something similar about the monk class in that country as you have said about the lamas, he also called me naive for believing that the fragrant Aung San Suu Kyi was the epitome of benevolence that she was being painted. I of course railed at him as a defender of a corrupt military regime, how could he not see that those monks and the delightful Ms Kyi were quite plainly saintly characters?

That's why today I am prepared to treat all claims to sainthood by people with political agendas with a large dollop of cynicism.
I think things are a lot more complicated than they seem with respect to Aung San Suu Kyi Mike. I don't think she has full control of the country with the Generals hanging on to as much power as they can. She can't get rid of them and they can't get rid of her.

As ever the PRC as their big neighbours to the North has a lot of influence, and no doubt a lot of buisness interests in the country. The Generals are not going to change their ways and bow down to world opinion when they have big brother to fall back on. Its the same with North Korea. China want's buffer states on its borders.

Doesn't really matter where it came from; it's here, and it's not going away.
I fully realise it isn't. I only wish factually-accurate things had the same staying power.

I've never been under any illusions about its status, it suited the PRC to maintain the impression of a democracy until they had to deal with the democratic downsides though.
They didn't do anything while people were democratically protesting, though. It's only when the protesters started smashing things up and trying to paralyse the economy that they made any move. That was playing straight into Beijing's hands, especially given the reception the Occupy movement was being given around the world.

I believe it's the Uighurs who are being used for live transplants. Israel was the first country to stop taking organs from China when they realised that the only way China could be promising a certain organ on a certain day was to be harvesting them to order.

Allegations of this being done without anaesthetic or after care are are yet to be proved.
Back in the One Child era weren't they into forced late-term abortions as well?

Back in the One Child era weren't they into forced late-term abortions as well?
There were local officials putting varying degrees of pressure on families to abort or be sterilised, but in other times/places there was widespread registration of 'twins' one of which happened to look about a year older than the other. It's a big country with lots of people and you'll get to see full range of human behaviours if you look long enough.

It's worth noting that One Child never applied to ethnic minorities and e.g. Rebiya Kadeer of the World Uighur Congress and late CCP-member had 11 kids by 2 different husbands.

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
I think things are a lot more complicated than they seem with respect to Aung San Suu Kyi Mike. I don't think she has full control of the country with the Generals hanging on to as much power as they can. She can't get rid of them and they can't get rid of her.

As ever the PRC as their big neighbours to the North has a lot of influence, and no doubt a lot of buisness interests in the country. The Generals are not going to change their ways and bow down to world opinion when they have big brother to fall back on. Its the same with North Korea. China want's buffer states on its borders.
That may be so, but as a woman who was prepared to endure decades of house arrest for her principles I can't help but think she should now take the principled stance and step down if she feels she cannot achieve what she wants to achieve, she would then be free to expose the generals for what they are. As regards the Rohingya I suspect, being the child of a fervent Burmese nationalist, she probably shares the military's opinion of them.

But what struck a chord with me in @smartascarrots' post was his reference to the privileged status of the lamas in Nepal, in the discussion I referenced my colleague was pointing to the hypocrisy of the Burmese monks and how I was naive for believing they were simple, pious, humble folk, devoutly dedicated to the work of God, they were no such thing he assured me, it sounds similar to the situation in Nepal.

[Cough, cough - Rohingya]

Mind you, Myanmar has its own Chinese relationship challenges

endure

GCM
But what struck a chord with me in @smartascarrots' post was his reference to the privileged status of the lamas in Nepal, in the discussion I referenced my colleague was pointing to the hypocrisy of the Burmese monks and how I was naive for believing they were simple, pious, humble folk, devoutly dedicated to the work of God, they were no such thing he assured me, it sounds similar to the situation in Nepal.
Point of order - Buddhists don't believe in god.

Probably not much of a pointer, but watching the Australian Border Security series on TV, I notice most of those with zero regard for quarantine regs and importation restrictions are Chinese. They're also the most truculent when caught and get bloody aggressive when faced with fines.

No surprise at all they'd be vectors of any disease passing through the dirtier bits of the cities where they live.

Did someone then buy her a television ?
70-inch HDTV. Apparently, she got a Council house near Hull too.

Utter bastards, those Chinese.

BaldBaBoon

War Hero
Just rushing about doing important things today, seen a mention on news about Hong Kong effectively going under full Chinese admin and security control very soon ( I know it already is ) and the illusion of being separate for HK has now gone?

Just rushing about doing important things today, seen a mention on news about Hong Kong effectively going under full Chinese admin and security control very soon ( I know it already is ) and the illusion of being separate for HK has now gone?
Would that be this one?

It's essentially what Basic Law was designed to allow - for Beijing to determine when a threat to the security of the PRC exists in respect of Hong Kong; and to have ultimate authority to do something about it.

Security and national defence are and always have been reserved matters which HKSAR never had any authority to decide on independently.

Latest Threads