The Chinese - not a great bunch of lads

All this talk of China taking over the world need to think back to Signs where a simple glass of water can stop an Alien invasion, or Independence Day where the common cold can stop an Alien invasion.

Forget the pill boxes on the beach, or the barbed wire, all we need is a few bookies and a few packets of fags on the seafront to keep them busy and we’re as good as immune to invasion.
Don't travel much abroad these days, do you?

I just bought a new washing machine.

In the show room, the salesman asked what features we wanted and i said, "washes clothes, lasts a while, not made in China".

Kid asked why, l said "because they're suppressing democracy and building concentration camps". He looked puzzled.

The thing is with the wicked Chinese bastards, it'll all be our fault when we're bollocksed. We buy their stuff. That's how the UK grew strong, it's how the US grew strong.

Generally, both us and the Yanks were forces for good.

China isn't.

Where you can, don't buy their stuff.

In the show room, the salesman asked what features we wanted and i said, "washes clothes, lasts a while, not made in China".

Kid asked why, l said "because they're suppressing democracy and building concentration camps". He looked puzzled.

The thing is with the wicked Chinese bastards, it'll all be our fault when we're bollocksed. We buy their stuff. That's how the UK grew strong, it's how the US grew strong.

China isn't.

Or if you have to buy Chinese, buy it second hand.

China isn't.

Most people couldn't give a shit about their views on democracy and just want cheap electrical stuff.

I thought the US had stopped the whole nationality at birth scam?
You have to be kidding - it’s a full blown business now. Russians, Chinese and one or two Mexicans as well. They all try and makes sure the kid is born here in the U.S.

Powerpoint engineering, or a potential game-changer?

'A centrefold graphic recently flourished intimate details of a Chinese bomber carrying a stark new weapon. State-controlled media has since gone into cover-up mode. But military analysts think Beijing may have been caught with its pants down.

'The government produced Modern Ships magazine has splashed high-resolution computer-generated images of China’s most recent addition to its strategic bomber line-up – the H-6N – over the front and feature pages. Beijing’s state-controlled Global Times immediately went into damage controlmode, declaring, “The images are computer generated, merely conceptual and have no official background.” But there’s far more to the story than the detailed conceptual images.

' “If (this) is correct then this would be an impressive anti-ship standoff capability for the PLA (People’s Liberation Army), that would extend the utility of the DF-21D out well beyond the first island chain,” Australian Strategic Policy Institute analyst Malcolm Davis told Flight Global. “That would theoretically match the ground-launched DF-26 anti-ship capable (intermediate ballistic missile), and increase the risk for US aircraft carrier battle groups … the Chinese are clearly trying to make it costlier for the US to project power into the western pacific, to the point where the US simply chooses not to intervene in a crisis.”

'Defence enthusiasts noted several strange things about the latest N variant of China’s Xian H-6 series of strategic bombers when it was unveiled to the public at the 70th National Day parade in October. The state-controlled Xinhua news service simply said it was a “homemade strategic bomber capable of air refuelling and long-range strike”. But when a flight of three of the bombers flew over Beijing, military experts saw it doesn’t have bomb-bay doors. Instead, it has what appears to be new heavyweight attachment points in a recess along the centre-line of its fuselage. Also noted was its modified, extended nose-cone and an air-to-air refuelling nozzle.'

overopensights

ADC
Book Reviewer
There's a bit of a verbal punch-up going on between Australia and China at present, the Chinese have cancelled a inter-governmental conference because someone in Aus of some standing has said naughty things about the Chinese methods in Africa and Smaller countries. The Aus chap implied that they were 'bribing small nations' with gifts of certain buildings and aid. The Chinese cancelled the conference and series of meetings by telling the Australians that 'Your days of Empire and Colonialism are over'. Implying that 'It's our (chinese) turn now!

Jesus. All this geo political chat as if we’re all Associate Professors of World Affairs at RUSI or something. Personally I’d settle for them not hacking up fluorescent Dockers’ Omelettes all over the place, leaving every hotel dining room in the Heathrow area looking like Genghis Khan’s horsemen had ridden through it and a bit more spice in the curry sauce I tip over my yung chow fried rice from the village Chinese takeaway.

Yokel

LE
There's a bit of a verbal punch-up going on between Australia and China at present, the Chinese have cancelled a inter-governmental conference because someone in Aus of some standing has said naughty things about the Chinese methods in Africa and Smaller countries. The Aus chap implied that they were 'bribing small nations' with gifts of certain buildings and aid. The Chinese cancelled the conference and series of meetings by telling the Australians that 'Your days of Empire and Colonialism are over'. Implying that 'It's our (chinese) turn now!
Could a case be made that the Chinese are worse, as they do not accept Western ideas such as the sovereignty of the individual and the sovereignty of truth?

That's Apple and most tech companies f-ked then.

Apple's pretty much every single product is made there.

Most people don't care.
I wonder if Apple Inc et al are under any pressure from President Trump to bring American jobs home? Given the high level of automation I wonder exactly what the cost differential is when you consider things like shipping costs?

Best start looking at repossessing the farmland they've purchased then.

endure

GCM
Could a case be made that the Chinese are worse, as they do not accept Western ideas such as the sovereignty of the individual and the sovereignty of truth?

I wonder if Apple Inc et al are under any pressure from President Trump to bring American jobs home? Given the high level of automation I wonder exactly what the cost differential is when you consider things like shipping costs?

The current cost for a 20 foot/20 tonne container from Shanghai to Long Beach is around $1100.

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
Best start looking at repossessing the farmland they've purchased then.
A govt supported repossession by "war veterans" against a Chinese owned farm sounds like a great spectator sport.

On the other hand, they've yet to impose their supremacy over these countries by force of arms.

Like the technology transfer business, these are deals that the PRC's partners signed up to knowingly. If those partners are blind, shortsighted, corrupt or stupid, it's a bit 'mote in your eye' to blame the PRC for taking advantage or using leverage for its own benefit.

overopensights

ADC
Book Reviewer
The current cost for a 20 foot/20 tonne container from Shanghai to Long Beach is around $1100.
But if a container has in it say 30,000 pairs of designer trainers then the cost is negligible when you just add a few cents to the cost of each pair of shoes. That is before you quadruple the purchase price and then place the sales price.

Latest Threads