The Chinese - not a great bunch of lads

Part of that seeking is the establishing of strict cultural borders between 'them' and 'us'. The Uighurs present a significant insurgency problem to Kyrgyzstan and Kazakhstan too.

Dunno. Kazakhstan's main threats so far have been (entirely alien to the turkic tradition) Wahhabi Islam (KZ now regrets letting Saudi Arabia build so many schools, hospitals and mosques), and Russian bullying and sedition.

The president's clique is resented by some of the other big tribal factions/families, but thats a straightforward power thing, rather than any sort of national separatism.

Most of the other factions seem ok with being part of a proper central asian nation (especially one that has some oil wealth to spread around). Even most of the "white" Kazakhs (Russian, belorussians, baltics, volga germans, Ukrainians, etc - all former transportees of the soviets) prefer to be part of a country that is linked east-south-west and not locked up in an increasingly xenophobic and tyrannical Russia.

Most central asian people* have been made welcome in Kazakhstan, as it all helps to build population mass. I'm not there now, but I never heard of any Uighur issues.

* Funnily enough, "asian" Kazakhs are generally either chubby or skinny. The skinny ones are actual tribal kazakhs. The chubby ones are all in fact of North Korean extraction - shipped there by the soviets to staff all those catastrophic communal farming projects.

In other news (!) surprisingly again from the ABC (generally accepted as being as as dodgy as the BBC) a report on the Uighur 're-education facilities' in Xinjiang Province which uses imagery to produce a report measuring the growth of these facilities.
If you think BBC is dodgy, you really haven't seen other news outlets. Does it have bias? Yes? Which doesn't...but it's far less than any other outlets I have encountered, for a main stream broadcaster.

Dunno. Kazakhstan's main threats so far have been (entirely alien to the turkic tradition) Wahhabi Islam (KZ now regrets letting Saudi Arabia build so many schools, hospitals and mosques), and Russian bullying and sedition.

The president's clique is resented by some of the other big tribal factions/families, but thats a straightforward power thing, rather than any sort of national separatism.

Most of the other factions seem ok with being part of a proper central asian nation (especially one that has some oil wealth to spread around). Even most of the "white" Kazakhs (Russian, belorussians, baltics, volga germans, Ukrainians, etc - all former transportees of the soviets) prefer to be part of a country that is linked east-south-west and not locked up in an increasingly xenophobic and tyrannical Russia.

Most central asian people* have been made welcome in Kazakhstan, as it all helps to build population mass. I'm not there now, but I never heard of any Uighur issues.

* Funnily enough, "asian" Kazakhs are generally either chubby or skinny. The skinny ones are actual tribal kazakhs. The chubby ones are all in fact of North Korean extraction - shipped there by the soviets to staff all those catastrophic communal farming projects.
Very interesting. Thanks.

Is this from your escapades with the local Kazakh maidens?

bet all that does not apply to the ruling elite & party members?
Undoubtedly does. Whether the full 80m of them see any effect is another question but since they've been disproportionately hit by every other social campaign it's unlikely they'll be unaffected by this one.

@smartascarrots , what therefore holds together the PRC?!
Thread resurrection: when I read this article, it struck me that it answers the question quite well. Autocracy with democratic characteristics - an example of the modern CCP's ability to exhibit a surprising degree of humility when it gets things wrong. It's a learning organisation.

Last edited:

seaweed

LE
Book Reviewer
Thread resurrection: when I read this article, it struck me that it answers the question quite well. Autocracy with democratic characteristics - an example of the modern CCP's ability to exhibit a surprising degree of humility when it gets things wrong. It's a learning organisation.
People doing the learning include the Uighurs and the Tibetans, and any Christians who are still alive.

People doing the learning include the Uighurs and the Tibetans, and any Christians who are still alive.
Not forgetting the political prisoners, the locals of places in Africa and else where the Chinese Communists are the new overlords, companies trying to produce things in the West, people who find themselves at drisk due to dodgy counterfeit products...

Indeed. Many of them are CCP members and would inevitably do the same learning as every other member.

That's the thing about revolutions - they're generally against things more than just a handful of people find objectionable.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
longlivethequeen ARRSE: Site Issues 33
SkippedOnce The Intelligence Cell 28
GrumpyWasTooCheerful ARRSE: Site Issues 6