The Chinese - not a great bunch of lads

Joshua Slocum

LE
Book Reviewer
Peasant is what HK Chinese will call them, I call them farmers. Most of them have grown up in rural China and have very poor education but as China has grown since the opening and reform these people find themselves with new wealth, not a lot to you or I but enough for them to travel and experience the world around them. A world, I should add that they do not understand and do not know how to fit into it.

Hong Kong people are not happy with mainlanders and see them as inferior, ironical is it not.

I crossed into Honkers this weekend past and made my way from Central to Kowloon and Hong Hum main station to take a train to Guangzhou, no tickets available so my trip to see an old friend was ruined. It seems the main land tourists are taking up all the tickets, just one of the problems Hong Kong people have to put up with.
my mates mother only speaks Hakka
so she was probably peasant stock, but she escaped the Japanese as a very young girl
she is 96 I think still going strong and will be out in the garden
but she hates the nips with a vengeance

my mates mother only speaks Hakka
Fascinating bunch, genuine frontiersfolk, prone to the most outrageous bouts of inter-clan warfare and at the forefront of every uprising and revolution going.

Round about the time of the Taiping Rebellion, the Hakka in Guangdong had a falling-out with their Cantonese neighbours which left over a million dead. They were also significantly more likely to carry out a mass killing during the Cultural Revolution than any other ethnic group.

Joshua Slocum

LE
Book Reviewer
Fascinating bunch, genuine frontiersfolk, prone to the most outrageous bouts of inter-clan warfare and at the forefront of every uprising and revolution going.

Round about the time of the Taiping Rebellion, the Hakka in Guangdong had a falling-out with their Cantonese neighbours which left over a million dead. They were also significantly more likely to carry out a mass killing during the Cultural Revolution than any other ethnic group.
last year I was working on her house, I had to demolish a large shed, we sliced it up with a power-saw and carted it out of the way, ten minutes later the old girl is getting into it, stripping it down and re using stuff for her wonderful garden

Maybe this is why they built the round houses to keep the enemy at bay.

Maybe this is why they built the round houses to keep the enemy at bay.
I think they pretty much defined 'the enemy' as 'everybody else and some of us'.

Think a sort of Chinese Nac Mac Feegle.

I think they pretty much defined 'the enemy' as 'everybody else and some of us'.

Think a sort of Chinese Nac Mac Feegle.
The roundhouses are now protected, and are a solid selling point to the future of the Hakka people, I must admit I found them as impressive as any English castle. But lets face it, this is only for tourism unless you have a true feeling for history.

@smartascarrots , what therefore holds together the PRC?!

Could it (well of course it "could"), BUT might it, fracture and break-up, like Jugoslavia?

@smartascarrots , what therefore holds together the PRC?!
Damned if I know but whatever it is it's powerful stuff.

Put it this way, the unification that happened under Qin Shi (221BC) was built on a cultural identity that already existed and the empire he built disintegrated almost immediately on his death. Since then, 'China' has expanded, contracted, fragmented, reunified, been conquered and absorbed, absorbed the conquerors, pretty much every permutation. Hell, there have even been multiple 'Chinas' coexisting more or less peaceably while all claimed to be the one-and-only.

There's a lovely dit from the Sui/Tang period of a couple of local magistrates who'd met while sitting the metropolitan exam, become friends and spent their careers corresponding from their various postings. One of them wrote to the other expressing his shock that the Sui had fallen and been replaced - some 20 years after it happened. It hadn't mattered enough at local level that the dynasty had changed to be noted at the time.

It's tempting to say that what holds the PRC together is the Chinese Communist Party. It's not just a ruthlessly efficient political machine, it's a governing structure, a route to personal achievement and a comfortingly-familiar framework for Chinese governance. However, I doubt that if it disappeared overnight it would be replaced by something noticeably different. It's the way it is because that's what works.

Could it (well of course it "could"), BUT might it, fracture and break-up, like Jugoslavia?
Possibly. It depends on what you mean by 'China' when you think of it breaking up.

Wasn't one of Genghis Kahn's grandsons the Emperor of China at one time?
Kublai Khan founded the Yuan dynasty, consciously modelling it on governing structures of the Song. It was one of the shorter-lived dynasties and the most obvious legacy it left was moving the capital to what's now Beijing. Otherwise, it was the normal dynastic pattern of initial vigour, then stultification and weakness before going down in a mire of natural disaster and famine.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
longlivethequeen ARRSE: Site Issues 33
SkippedOnce The Intelligence Cell 28
GrumpyWasTooCheerful ARRSE: Site Issues 6