Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The changes the army made in regard to racism!

Call me simplistic if you will, many do, but I really don't recall racism rearing it's head. Granted there were some nasty fuckers, but they were equal opportunity nasty fuckers. I recall us all mucking in, and getting on with it. Towards the end of my time in, and during my Canadian time, I noticed incidents of what might be termed racism increasing, I may again be being simplistic, but I would say this was in response to the increase in the woke culture. I think I get what @ugly is saying.
We would be more than happy exchanging racial slurs with each other as more of a competitive challenge. Usually chalky came out on top, I lost count of the bacon loaded 10p for the gas meter Rabbi slurs directed at me, but hey, I did kill Christ, so probably deserved it!

Last edited:
As Accidental says above, I don’t remember outright racism. What little I noticed and experienced was of a level of calling the Welsh ‘Taff’ and the Scottish ‘Jock’, ‘Porridge Wog’ and the like. The real bile was reserved for anyone suspected of being gay (in the early 80’s). Even that was short lived and not particularly vociferous by the early 90’s. The politics of difference basically meant that anyone who was unable or unwilling to learn was a target. The weak were weeded out and the group improved.

Gingers were fair game all the time.

ugly

LE
You are a knockie REME twat, and I claim my £5. I’m still here and the interest is accumulating.
Not quite, I'd have loved a techie career but I was an Infantryman.

The_Snail

ADC
RIP
As Accidental says above, I don’t remember outright racism. What little I noticed and experienced was of a level of calling the Welsh ‘Taff’ and the Scottish ‘Jock’, ‘Porridge Wog’ and the like. The real bile was reserved for anyone suspected of being gay (in the early 80’s). Even that was short lived and not particularly vociferous by the early 90’s. The politics of difference basically meant that anyone who was unable or unwilling to learn was a target. The weak were weeded out and the group improved.

Gingers were fair game all the time.
The 'homophobic' mockery was usually (and still is) reserved for the straight lads. I once made the mistake of calling a colleague gay, a poof etc. He took it in good spirit, and I was later to discover he was actually gay. The red face was mine to wear.

The 'homophobic' mockery was usually (and still is) reserved for the straight lads. I once made the mistake of calling a colleague gay, a poof etc. He took it in good spirit, and I was later to discover he was actually gay. The red face was mine to wear.
To be fair you were bumming him at the time.