The changes the army made in regard to racism!

ugly

LE
1981, the UK is a touchy place, IJLB had rules on no shaven heads, jeans doc martins etc there was definetly a drive to ensure we had no racism or tribalism in the recruits. C Coy had one black lad the same intake had about three in Peninsular company, but none in the others. One gym queen was coloured, and a few of the lads in senior term were of Greek or Turkish origin and that was basically it!
Our sections were originally sorted alphabetically but we ended up with no jocks in 1 section so they decided to swap the one black kid with an Orcadian. We worked out that the jocks didn't understand him either so stiff the sais with him was a clever move.
The black lad was from the midlands and adopted. He tried to argue that the two pensioners in his family photo were his mum and dad but unless they had a black milkman I can't really see it.
He also had a few issues, his eyes were such that Marty Feldman would have been jealous and he suffered from claustrophobia.
Running in webbing was what saw him off sadly as he had a great sense of humour and we laughed at his jokes about us as much as he did about his own problems.

He left as of his own right before reaching 17 and we were in second term and doing grenades at the time. We shall call him Cxxxs!

I was sat in one class in the SAA wing when the jock asked the instructor what colour was the grenade (army green isn't the same as any other green really) and he replied eua de nil.
On being asked what eau de nil meant he replied "off white"

To which some wit replied "Oh like Junior Leader Cxxxs corporal?"

The class erupted in what was basically six months of repressed humour about our dearly departed colleague and ended with the longest smoke break in Shornecliffes history!

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
When I joined the RAPC Computer Centre in early 86, I was in Officer Manning Quality Assurance Group.

I learned that Manning had been ordered recently to rename the PL/1 bit switch, WogInd on their Records of Service, which, set to 1 was a bar to joining the Guards.

Ugly, I don’t know where you are going with this, but it’s shit. Black people have served with distinction in the army for years. They are not an addition to be a joke, but are people.
You may have served with people you thought were rubbish, but play the ball.

When I joined the RAPC Computer Centre in early 86, I was in Officer Manning Quality Assurance Group.

I learned that Manning had been ordered recently to rename the PL/1 bit switch, WogInd on their Records of Service, which, set to 1 was a bar to joining the Guards.
Just rename it?

..... decided to swap the one black kid with an Orcadian.
Were units scaled for 1 x black, 1 x Orcadian?

Shortly before my father died he was reunited with his old buddy after approx 40 years. The first / only black man in the unit, circa 1963, and left due to only being valued for cricket and not as a soldier.
My father was particularly remembered for being a white family man who befriended a black singlie and even let him hold my sister as a baby without worrying about the black rubbing off onto her

Times have changed ..... mostly

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
Mid-80s, and we had a really lovely black lad from the Midlands who was universally liked. This was in one of the apprentice colleges but I'm being deliberately vague for obvious reasons.

Said lad was very dark-skinned and would do the 'white teeth, whites of the eyes' thing to universal amusement. He knew it was ridiculous and funny, we did too. It wasn't racism. It was mutual comedy.

Racism came in the form of the nasty little Jock infantry sergeant who, on exercise, thought it would be funny to make said lad 'black up' in front of the lads using plimsoll whitener. That wasn't funny - not least because the sergeant was in man's service and was supposed to be leading and setting an example.

The lad from the Midlands PVRed shortly after, though eventually went back in.

I hope that nasty little bastard with the stripes is somewhere now hating life. He deserves to.

A lot needed to change. A lot has changed. He wouldn't get away with it now - and, more to the point, nor would the system close ranks to protect him as it would once have.

Ugly, I don’t know where you are going with this, but it’s shit. Black people have served with distinction in the army for years. They are not an addition to be a joke, but are people.
1570478262248.png

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
Just rename it?
It was over 35 years ago. I don't believe at that time you'd get into the Guards whether there was this bit switch on your record. So I believe it stayed.

After I left, many years later I met a guy I'd done my Programmer course with. He'd also joined IBM. He reckoned RAPC moved everything off the mainframe, so by then or sometime later it will have been removed.

ugly

LE
Not at all! Most I met became great sncos, I was showing that even a blokes defiant claim that he wasn't adopted was treated with kid gloves by all of us even the tough jocks, the lad will always be remembered for many reasons, most of all for honestly believing his elderly white parents were his birth family! That's conviction for you. Eau de nil later became a term we used to tactfully describe a gentleman of colour if asked to point out one as in where is jldr smoggins, he is there, no the one behind him, the one next to etc. In those early pre PC days we didn't have PC descriptors we could use!

Last edited:

ugly

LE
I don't know where you get the impression that I am in any way racist, 1981 was a difficult time racially in the UK and the army was struggling to dance around issues in society that certain units took as almost a mark of pride.
In my old Bn there were very few black private soldiers in my time. They were outnumbered by the black, Asian and mixed race SNCOs that were in the main held in very high regard!
The joke was the way the grown ups were trying to get us to avoid saying black, brown or otherwise.
In a room full of 59 junior leaders which was C coy intake and one was black, one was from Kirkwall and yes we had a welsh lad in the RGJ how do you get 58 16 year old kids to describe each other?
Mind you I'm just double tapping here but if you are offended then fine report it!

ugly

LE
Were units scaled for 1 x black, 1 x Orcadian?

Shortly before my father died he was reunited with his old buddy after approx 40 years. The first / only black man in the unit, circa 1963, and left due to only being valued for cricket and not as a soldier.
My father was particularly remembered for being a white family man who befriended a black singlie and even let him hold my sister as a baby without worrying about the black rubbing off onto her

Times have changed ..... mostly
My first week in Bn and I ran into a lad I knew from the term above me. SP Coy CSM walked into our block to find him! When Stu was a baby his dad had been the section cdr of this now WO2 and he had baby sat him. He wanted to say hello. SP Coy CSM left afterwards to join the Jamaican defense force as the RSM. We always were a family, often a better one than we left behind!

They got rid of black in camouflage when they changed to MTP, and combat boots are no longer black.

The one black they couldn't shift was blackmetallic

ugly

LE
Salford you poor soul, I was the Crumpsal kid

I don't know where you get the impression that I am in any way racist, 1981 was a difficult time racially in the UK and the army was struggling to dance around issues in society that certain units took as almost a mark of pride.
In my old Bn there were very few black private soldiers in my time. They were outnumbered by the black, Asian and mixed race SNCOs that were in the main held in very high regard!
The joke was the way the grown ups were trying to get us to avoid saying black, brown or otherwise.
In a room full of 59 junior leaders which was C coy intake and one was black, one was from Kirkwall and yes we had a welsh lad in the RGJ how do you get 58 16 year old kids to describe each other?
Mind you I'm just double tapping here but if you are offended then fine report it!
You are a knockie REME twat, and I claim my £5. I’m still here and the interest is accumulating.

Don’t know what Ugly’s. On. Hahah, that’s the way it types out. Because we live in the 1970s.
I spout crap and love you all..

My first week in Bn and I ran into a lad I knew from the term above me. SP Coy CSM walked into our block to find him! When Stu was a baby his dad had been the section cdr of this now WO2 and he had baby sat him. He wanted to say hello. SP Coy CSM left afterwards to join the Jamaican defense force as the RSM. We always were a family, often a better one than we left behind!
Alright, I get it. My old man did turns with the Queens, although he was REME, there and here about.

Photo.
In front of me dads wagon:
Thats me on the left, a right fvcking cowboy I grew up to be.
Edit my age to be about 6/7
Photo doesn't give justice to my mucker speaking little English and being Bleck. I don't think there were many in Salford in the Early 60's
View attachment 421447

ETA, the tw@t was always good with guns though!
ETA, and girls. We stuck together for years and I always had a better slice of the girly pie, as I was a mate of G.
Which are you?

What this thread needs is two things

The opinion of a scouser

And a choooooon

Latest Threads