The Challenger

Discussion in 'The Science Forum' started by Yokel, Mar 21, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Did anyone else see this the other night? Then Open University has a few pages that relate to this programme and the issues it covered.

OU on the BBC: The Challenger - OpenLearn - Open University

Of particular interest: Evidence, oversight and regulation - not to be messed with? - OpenLearn - Open University

The NASA report is here: Report of the PRESIDENTIAL COMMISSION on the Space Shuttle Challenger Accident

2. If every council in the UK were required to have 1 snowplough & 1 gritter vehicle per thousand head of population in their area. Nobody would ever be late for work due to snow again.

3. Hmm.
    Case A: 1000 people live in a 4 inner-city tower blocks, most work at most 2 miles from where they live on < 40 miles total road length.
    Case B: 1000 people live in 5 remote, widely dispersed villages and those who work travel an average of 50 miles each over a road network of total length > 200 miles total road length.

Discuss the relationship between population density, road length and snow clearance / gritting rate per vehicle.

4. Cold_Collation

Cold_Collation LE Book Reviewer

Okay, I'll take a go: inner city unemployment would be eradicated because everyone could be fully employed servicing driving and filling snow ploughs? Oh - and the two trains would meet at Kettering.

Do I win £5?

5. Not the type of response I expected. I hoped for a discussion of technological concerns being pushed aside by political and PR pressures.

6. If you wanted a discussion along those lines, I believe there are plenty of threads on the SV Scout program...

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)