The cease-fire is over.

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by KGB_resident, Aug 19, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. http://www.jpost.com/servlet/Satellite?cid=1154525902304&pagename=JPost/JPArticle/ShowFull

What the Israeli plan? Probably to provoke Hezbollah retaliation fire against Nothern Israel to create an exuce 'to defend itself from terrorists'.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060819/ap_on_re_mi_ea/mideast_lebanon

Now it is clear why Germany, France and some other countries don't wish to send its troops to Lebanon.

2. Don't worry, the French have just landed in southern Lebanon in their rubber boats with tricolours flying and ski tight combats for all!

3. Why ? Do you really think the Israeli's think they can win this kind of war ? Is their sime kind of public clamour for this type of operation ? The Israeli's are many things, but stupid isn't one of them.

4. Thank God for that!

5. No. I doubt that they are able to win.

I think that mr.Olmert is widely regarde in Israel as a loser. What the loser could do if he is unable to win. To try to make an impression that he won.

It depends from point of view. Mr. Olmert thinks first about his political future. Without new war it looks as a political death. Attempts to prevent it not so stupid thing as you suggest. It is another question would be a new war profitable for Israel. I think that unlikely.

6. "Commando raid in east lebanon"

If this is true it sounds like they were stopping something nasty coming into lebanon rather than attacking hezbollah to provoke a war.

sounds to me like hezbollah are being re-supplied and regrouping using the cease fire for a breather to import more rockets

7. Anyway this operation is an act of war and a violation of cease-fire. So Hezbollah has a good exuse for a retaliation that could cause new ground operation with the same final.

8. Its easy to say that when you don't know what was being smuggled in, but it was serious enough to send isreali special forces, and then a couple of planes to finish the job.

wern't the terms of the ceasefire that isreali troops would remain operating in the area untill the multinational force was out patroling, something that has only just started to happen?

The theory being that the multinational force should prevent weapons being smuggled in and rockets being fired.

9. 'mark1234' wrote, ''Its easy to say that when you don't know what was being smuggled in''
    It's even easier to say when you don't know anything was being smuggled in....

10. Just watching a Mid-east sat. channel. It's being reported now as an attempted snatch on a Hezbollah VIP. I don't know what the real reason is, but it will be viewed as an incursion by Israel.

Will be viewed? Sorry, it is being viewed as , Hezbollah saying the raiding party force got spanked.

Now awaiting latest reports.

11. If that was the case then this is very bad judgement by isreal.

12. sorry, i mised the Mid-east satalite channel bit.

I will take that report with a pinch of salt PTP, untill reported otherwise by a credible UK news source (not the Al-BBC)

13. I've just witnessed the most absurd bit of journalism I've seen for at least a couple of days.

A BBCworld reporter, live on the beach trying to big up the french landing, the french guys behind her tootled up the beach and casually drove a jeep and a DPM JCB up the sand.

Reporter tries hard to make a big thing of it but it slowly dawns on her that this ain't D-Day, the camera man has the decency to pan away from a distinct display of French Elan

Fair game to the french for at least punting up a couple of engineers, whatever the politiking

Vive la France, err down with everyone else

Cease fire at this time 1530 looks in place

Sergy you'd love it to crash and burn wouldn't you

14. I wouldnt say this; "Anyway this operation is an act of war and a violation of cease-fire. So Hezbollah has a good exuse for a retaliation that could cause new ground operation with the same final."

What exactly is your point , please rephrase it so i can at least understand it so i can decide to dispute it or not

15. http://today.reuters.com/news/articlenews.aspx?type=newsOne&storyID=2006-08-19T135639Z_01_L13492527_RTRUKOC_0_US-MIDEAST.xml&WTmodLoc=Home-C1-TopStories-newsOne-2

I'll go with the VIP snatch/assasination I think. If you want to disrupt a convoy , there are far easier ways of doing it , especially when you have armed UAV's.