The cease-fire is over.

http://www.jpost.com/servlet/Satellite?cid=1154525902304&pagename=JPost/JPArticle/ShowFull

Hizbullah claimed that it had foiled an IDF commando raid early Saturday in eastern Lebanon near the town of Baalbek.

The Lebanese army spokesman said that there has been an exchange of fire between Hizbullah gunmen and an Israeli force that was landed in the area.

The spokesman said that two vehicles were landed by IAF helicopters some 30 kilometers east of Baalbek. He added that the vehicles then drove eastward until they encountered the Hizbullah force at the town of Boudai.

Three Hizbullah gunmen were killed during the incident.

Earlier it was reported that the IDF conducted an aerial attack in Boudai.

The French news agency reported that IAF planes attacked an uninhabited area next to the city of Baalbek, saying that low-flying IAF helicopters shot four missiles in the area.

Reuters stated that among the alleged targets were hills and roads leading to the town of Boudai in eastern Lebanon.

The IDF confirmed the flights but stressed that the planes did not open fire on targets in Lebanon since the cease-fire went into effect on Monday. Still, the army said the incident was being investigated.

It noted that IAF flyovers in Lebanon were not a violation of the cease-fire.
What the Israeli plan? Probably to provoke Hezbollah retaliation fire against Nothern Israel to create an exuce 'to defend itself from terrorists'.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060819/ap_on_re_mi_ea/mideast_lebanon

Israeli special forces operated deep in Lebanon early Saturday, the army confirmed, making it the broadest violation of a five-day-old U.N.-brokered cease-fire that put an end to 34 days of fighting between Israel and Hezbollah guerillas.

The army said its commandos entered Lebanon "to prevent and interfere with terror activity against Israel, especially the smuggling of arms from Iran and Syria to Hezbollah."
Now it is clear why Germany, France and some other countries don't wish to send its troops to Lebanon.

Don't worry, the French have just landed in southern Lebanon in their rubber boats with tricolours flying and ski tight combats for all!

KGB_resident said:
http://www.jpost.com/servlet/Satellite?cid=1154525902304&pagename=JPost/JPArticle/ShowFull

Hizbullah claimed that it had foiled an IDF commando raid early Saturday in eastern Lebanon near the town of Baalbek.

The Lebanese army spokesman said that there has been an exchange of fire between Hizbullah gunmen and an Israeli force that was landed in the area.

The spokesman said that two vehicles were landed by IAF helicopters some 30 kilometers east of Baalbek. He added that the vehicles then drove eastward until they encountered the Hizbullah force at the town of Boudai.

Three Hizbullah gunmen were killed during the incident.

Earlier it was reported that the IDF conducted an aerial attack in Boudai.

The French news agency reported that IAF planes attacked an uninhabited area next to the city of Baalbek, saying that low-flying IAF helicopters shot four missiles in the area.

Reuters stated that among the alleged targets were hills and roads leading to the town of Boudai in eastern Lebanon.

The IDF confirmed the flights but stressed that the planes did not open fire on targets in Lebanon since the cease-fire went into effect on Monday. Still, the army said the incident was being investigated.

It noted that IAF flyovers in Lebanon were not a violation of the cease-fire.
What the Israeli plan? Probably to provoke Hezbollah retaliation fire against Nothern Israel to create an exuce 'to defend itself from terrorists'.
Why ? Do you really think the Israeli's think they can win this kind of war ? Is their sime kind of public clamour for this type of operation ? The Israeli's are many things, but stupid isn't one of them.

B

Biscuits_AB

Invicta said:
Don't worry, the French have just landed in southern Lebanon in their rubber boats with tricolours flying and ski tight combats for all!
Thank God for that!

Mover said:
Do you really think the Israeli's think they can win this kind of war?
No. I doubt that they are able to win.

Mover said:
Is their sime kind of public clamour for this type of operation?
I think that mr.Olmert is widely regarde in Israel as a loser. What the loser could do if he is unable to win. To try to make an impression that he won.

Mover said:
The Israeli's are many things, but stupid isn't one of them.
It depends from point of view. Mr. Olmert thinks first about his political future. Without new war it looks as a political death. Attempts to prevent it not so stupid thing as you suggest. It is another question would be a new war profitable for Israel. I think that unlikely.

"Commando raid in east lebanon"

If this is true it sounds like they were stopping something nasty coming into lebanon rather than attacking hezbollah to provoke a war.

sounds to me like hezbollah are being re-supplied and regrouping using the cease fire for a breather to import more rockets

mark1234 said:

If this is true it sounds like they were stopping something nasty coming into lebanon rather than attacking hezbollah to provoke a war.

sounds to me like hezbollah are being re-supplied and regrouping using the cease fire for a breather to import more rockets
Anyway this operation is an act of war and a violation of cease-fire. So Hezbollah has a good exuse for a retaliation that could cause new ground operation with the same final.

KGB_resident said:
mark1234 said:

Anyway this operation is an act of war and a violation of cease-fire. So Hezbollah has a good exuse for a retaliation that could cause new ground operation with the same final.
Its easy to say that when you don't know what was being smuggled in, but it was serious enough to send isreali special forces, and then a couple of planes to finish the job.

wern't the terms of the ceasefire that isreali troops would remain operating in the area untill the multinational force was out patroling, something that has only just started to happen?

The theory being that the multinational force should prevent weapons being smuggled in and rockets being fired.

'mark1234' wrote, ''Its easy to say that when you don't know what was being smuggled in''
It's even easier to say when you don't know anything was being smuggled in....

Just watching a Mid-east sat. channel. It's being reported now as an attempted snatch on a Hezbollah VIP. I don't know what the real reason is, but it will be viewed as an incursion by Israel.

Will be viewed? Sorry, it is being viewed as , Hezbollah saying the raiding party force got spanked.

Now awaiting latest reports.

PartTimePongo said:
Just watching a Mid-east sat. channel. It's being reported now as an attempted snatch on a Hezbollah VIP. I don't know what the real reason is, but it will be viewed as an incursion by Israel.

Will be viewed? Sorry, it is being viewed as , Hezbollah saying the raiding party force got spanked.

If that was the case then this is very bad judgement by isreal.

PartTimePongo said:

sorry, i mised the Mid-east satalite channel bit.

I will take that report with a pinch of salt PTP, untill reported otherwise by a credible UK news source (not the Al-BBC)

I've just witnessed the most absurd bit of journalism I've seen for at least a couple of days.

A BBCworld reporter, live on the beach trying to big up the french landing, the french guys behind her tootled up the beach and casually drove a jeep and a DPM JCB up the sand.

Reporter tries hard to make a big thing of it but it slowly dawns on her that this ain't D-Day, the camera man has the decency to pan away from a distinct display of French Elan

Fair game to the french for at least punting up a couple of engineers, whatever the politiking

Vive la France, err down with everyone else

Cease fire at this time 1530 looks in place

Sergy you'd love it to crash and burn wouldn't you

hansvonhealing said:
'mark1234' wrote, ''Its easy to say that when you don't know what was being smuggled in''
It's even easier to say when you don't know anything was being smuggled in....
I wouldnt say this; "Anyway this operation is an act of war and a violation of cease-fire. So Hezbollah has a good exuse for a retaliation that could cause new ground operation with the same final."

What exactly is your point , please rephrase it so i can at least understand it so i can decide to dispute it or not

I will take that report with a pinch of salt PTP, untill reported otherwise by a credible UK news source (not the Al-BBC)

http://today.reuters.com/news/artic...AST.xml&WTmodLoc=Home-C1-TopStories-newsOne-2

Israel said the operation in Lebanon's eastern Bekaa Valley aimed to disrupt weapons supplies to Hizbollah from Syria and Iran. Both countries deny arming the group.

Lebanese security sources said three Hizbollah guerrillas were killed in a dawn firefight with the Israeli commandos. The Israeli army said it had suffered one dead and two wounded.
Commandos in two vehicles unloaded from helicopters were intercepted on their way to an office of a Hizbollah leader, Sheikh Mohammed Yazbek, in the village of Bodai, the Lebanese sources said. The Israelis withdrew under cover of air strikes.

"Special forces carried out an operation to disrupt terror actions against Israel with an emphasis on the transfer of munitions from Syria and Iran to Hizbollah," Israel's army said.
I'll go with the VIP snatch/assasination I think. If you want to disrupt a convoy , there are far easier ways of doing it , especially when you have armed UAV's.

PartTimePongo said:

http://today.reuters.com/news/artic...AST.xml&WTmodLoc=Home-C1-TopStories-newsOne-2

Israel said the operation in Lebanon's eastern Bekaa Valley aimed to disrupt weapons supplies to Hizbollah from Syria and Iran. Both countries deny arming the group.

Lebanese security sources said three Hizbollah guerrillas were killed in a dawn firefight with the Israeli commandos. The Israeli army said it had suffered one dead and two wounded.
Commandos in two vehicles unloaded from helicopters were intercepted on their way to an office of a Hizbollah leader, Sheikh Mohammed Yazbek, in the village of Bodai, the Lebanese sources said. The Israelis withdrew under cover of air strikes.

"Special forces carried out an operation to disrupt terror actions against Israel with an emphasis on the transfer of munitions from Syria and Iran to Hizbollah," Israel's army said.
I'll go with the VIP snatch/assasination I think. If you want to disrupt a convoy , there are far easier ways of doing it , especially when you have armed UAV's.
I think i'l reserve my judgement untill I get a report saying it was a snatch from a good uk source.

as the isrealis say it was an arms shipment and the only ones who say otherwise are local shieks.

If it turns out it was an attempted snatch then that was very stupid by isreal, but like isaid , i will reserve judgement.

1)Isreal still saying it was an arms shipment

2)hezbollah saying it was an attempt to capture/assasinate a hezbollah leader.

3)some news agencies are suggesting it was the captured isreali soldiers (interesting and plausable).

I'm waiting till the dust settles but i reckon it's 3 or 1 , i dont think isreal would have any reason to carry out number 2, they wouldnt gain much and it would be very stupid of them.

Sven said:
GuyT said:
I think i'l reserve my judgement untill I get a report saying it was a snatch from a good uk source.
Keep your eyes peeled and you'll find it here:

http://www.tt-iraq.com/Default.aspx?nw=LEBANON&pn=LEBANON

Yep - coverage now includes Lebanon.
Is the source an objective one???

As it is, Templeton uses as its source article one from Iran - which definately gives a skewed outlook on anything Israel
its basically a news search site, guyt is just saying watch it and a report from a UK source will be on their eventually. not every report is credible.

Latest Threads