The Cavalry Memorial ~ Hyde Park Corner

Discussion in 'RAC' started by TheBigUn, Jan 23, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Some interesting (to me anyway) bumf on The Cavalry Memorial.

The inscription reads:

[align=center]ERECTED
    by the
    CAVALRY of the EMPIRE
    in memory of
    COMRADES
    who gave their lives
    in the war
    1914 1919
    also
    in the war
    1939 1945
    AND ON ACTIVE SERVICE THEREAFTER[/align]

My question is:

Why are the WWI dates 1914-1919 and not 1914-1918?

2. They didn't have tipex in them days.

3. 11th November 1918 was a cessation of hostilities, the paperwork was settled in 1919 at the Paris Peace Conference.

4. THere was still fighting in Murmansk northern Russia against the Bolshies in 1919

5. Involving the Cavalry of the Empire?

Where any Cavalry soldiers actually killed in 1919 or could it refer to those who died from wounds received in 1918?

6. In the Brigade Brigends book. The final chapter mentions the RTC going off with the Iron monsters to give the Ruskies a battering

7. I know Iv'e read it ,In fact my father was there, in the Army Service Corps

8. The 1914 to 1919 dates are the official dates of the War and have nothing to do with the deaths of Cavalry soldiers or operations against the Reds in Russia.

9. yes, the treaty was not signed until 1919 but British troops where still in action after the signing

10. But not as part of WW1 against the Germans and Austro Hungarian Empire.

11. Although copepod and Tropper are quite correct about deaths from wounds in 1919 and fighting in Russia, the reason for 1919 is as Western says - although fighting stopped on 11 November 18, Britain remained at war until 1919 when the Germans signed the peace treaty.

From a British point of view, the war lasted from the official declaration until the signature of the official peace settlement, and a large number of memorials carry what might be called the 'official' dating of the conflict.

However, since the fighting stopped in 1918, it became increasingly common to refer to the war of 1914-18 rather than being punctillious about observing the dates recognised by officialdom.

12. The last Germans to stop fighting where in East Africa who surrenderd on the 13th of November

13. That answers my question then. Archimedes, you sir remain Encyclopaedic as ever.............Thanks. :wink:

14. Was there any fighting on the 12th and 13th Nov?

Lettow-Vorbeck's troops were marching towards their next objective when he got a message from Deventer on the 13th informing him that Germany had agreed to an armistice two days before - I wasn't aware of any action taking place in Africa between the 11th and Lettow-Vorbeck agreeing terms?