The Castle Thread

Beauty_of_Sigiriya_by_Binuka.jpg

Arundel Castle theft. I see that the rosary allegedly carried by Mary Queen of Scots on the Fotheringay scaffold has been stolen. This is a great shame. However I doubt whether Elizabeth's officers would have allowed any scaffold relics to survive. The rosary may well have belonged MQS but from happier times. In Jedburgh MQS House Museum there is a panel from the dress that she is supposed to have worn at her execution. It formerly belonged to Sit Walter Scott. It looks the part but it is surely phoney too

Last edited:
This is a great shame. However I doubt whether Elizabeth's officers would have allowed any scaffold relics to survive.
Not sure about that. Generally the family of the executed were given their possessions back, if they could be bothered to ask for them. Seem to recall there was an issue with the execution of Charles 1 with people dipping their kerchiefs in the blood for veneration purposes.

I think Cecil at all would have been acutely aware that Maryan relics would have the potential to be the focus Catholic sedition. Indeed the drawing said to be based on the eyewitness accounts of the execution actually depicts officers burning the stuff she carried on the scaffold. It is swell known image but I am.Not in a position to post it at present

witsend

War Hero
Book Reviewer
I think Cecil at all would have been acutely aware that Maryan relics would have the potential to be the focus Catholic sedition. Indeed the drawing said to be based on the eyewitness accounts of the execution actually depicts officers burning the stuff she carried on the scaffold. It is swell known image but I am.Not in a position to post it at present
This one?

The Execution of Mary, Queen of Scots, 1542 - 1587

Yes that's the one

Londo

LE
Old news but I just saw this Storm prompted wall collapse at Henry VIII's Hurst Castle about part of the east casemates at Hurst Castle collapsing. Reads like EH have been aware of a problem for some time.
Hope the repairs to those casemates are well underway now .
The shingle causeway had many tons of shingle added to it a few years back but it looks like they didn't do much to protect that side of the wing battery .

tiv

LE
Last edited:

Londo

LE
I gather they had a Twin Six removed from Fort Albert IoW in the east casemates somewhere, hope that's not been damaged.
Going by memory the twin 6pr emplacements were on the west wing and just in front of the Tudor castle .
So may have been moved to one of these at the time of the collapse
If there was a mount in the East wing , most of the rubble collapsed outward so with a bit of luck minimal damage .

Unfortunately, no photos.

'The remains of a Great Wall castle dating back to the Ming Dynasty (1368-1644) were discovered in northwest China's Shaanxi Province, said the Shaanxi Academy of Archaeology Tuesday.

'Architectural relics, including two courtyards, were found at the remains of the Qingpingbao castle, located in Jingbian County, Yulin City.

'The courtyard on the south side is relatively large at 60 meters long and 25 meters wide. Its walls, houses, and brick floors are well preserved.

'Archeologists also unearthed a stone tablet in the courtyard. According to the inscription on the tablet, the courtyard is the site of a temple called Xianying Palace. More than 30 painted clay statues were also found.

'The other courtyard is the site of the remains of a larger building to the east of the Xianying Palace. A 12-meter-long and 3-meter-tall remaining base was discovered here.

'The remains of the castle were found in an earth ditch from which local villagers took soil to build a road in April last year, and rescue excavation work started in the following month.

'The castle is about 10 km away from the Great Wall, built in the Ming Dynasty. It retains the pattern, style, and characteristics of the Ming Wall castle. It is well preserved in terms of its original appearance in northern Shaanxi.'

Had a great, working trebuchet last time I was there. I do hope its 'interpretation' will stop in the 20th C, rather than coming up with 21st C woeness.

'Iconic Caerphilly Castle is set to have a dramatic makeover which will see it become a major tourist attraction by 2023.

'On June 17 Cadw, the Welsh Government's historic environment service, gave details of a £5 million investment boost designed to strengthen the site as a world-class heritage site within two years.

'Part of a wider £9.5 million investment into Wales’s historic sites, the project will see the installation of a brand new visitor centre to provide ticketing, catering, and toilet facilities for visitors ― including a new space for use by educational groups - and updates to the existing shop. There will also be an extensive programme of conservation and site access improvements.

'The works will include a dramatic makeover of Caerphilly’s medieval Great Hall, a space which has played host to events that shaped history. Originally built in the late 13th century, the Great Hall ― the largest of its kind in the UK ― will be redecorated to invoke the splendour of its medieval heyday, according to Cadw.

'At the heart of the project is the plan to install new interpretation throughout the Castle which aims to help visitors explore and understand the complex story of Wales’s largest Castle, and the people who built and lived within it. Interpretation will span tales from Caerphilly Castle’s medieval origins to its restoration in the 20th century.'

Pop5

Clanker
Unfortunately, no photos.

'The remains of a Great Wall castle dating back to the Ming Dynasty (1368-1644) were discovered in northwest China's Shaanxi Province, said the Shaanxi Academy of Archaeology Tuesday.

'Architectural relics, including two courtyards, were found at the remains of the Qingpingbao castle, located in Jingbian County, Yulin City.

'The courtyard on the south side is relatively large at 60 meters long and 25 meters wide. Its walls, houses, and brick floors are well preserved.

'Archeologists also unearthed a stone tablet in the courtyard. According to the inscription on the tablet, the courtyard is the site of a temple called Xianying Palace. More than 30 painted clay statues were also found.

'The other courtyard is the site of the remains of a larger building to the east of the Xianying Palace. A 12-meter-long and 3-meter-tall remaining base was discovered here.

'The remains of the castle were found in an earth ditch from which local villagers took soil to build a road in April last year, and rescue excavation work started in the following month.

'The castle is about 10 km away from the Great Wall, built in the Ming Dynasty. It retains the pattern, style, and characteristics of the Ming Wall castle. It is well preserved in terms of its original appearance in northern Shaanxi.'

Photo here ...
Qingpingbao Castle