The Castle Thread

Now, if we all club together, and donate a 'little bit', we could have a new Arrse headquarters.

daz

LE
Nunney Castle
Nunney & Nunney Castle (5).jpg

Nunney & Nunney Castle (6).jpg

Nunney & Nunney Castle (7).jpg

Nunney & Nunney Castle (8).jpg

Nunney & Nunney Castle (22).jpg

Nunney & Nunney Castle (23).jpg

Nunney & Nunney Castle (24).jpg

Nunney & Nunney Castle (25).jpg

Nunney & Nunney Castle (26).jpg

Nunney & Nunney Castle (27).jpg

Nunney & Nunney Castle (29).jpg

Nunney & Nunney Castle (30).jpg

Nunney & Nunney Castle (31).jpg

Nunney & Nunney Castle (32).jpg

Londo

LE
Just dipping in and out this thread at the moment and enjoying other peoples posts and links . Been overdoing it in the garden the last couple of days and cant get my thinking head on . At some point I will get round to posting some photo's and vids. of castles and forts .

Crenellations is one of my favourite words and I take great joy in using it when passing any castle and seeing a WTF look on other peoples faces. I think I found the word in a Monty Python script book.

A merlon is the solid upright section of a battlement (a crenellated parapet) in medieval architecture or fortifications. ... The space between two merlons is called a crenel, and a succession of merlons and crenels is a crenellation. Crenels designed in later eras for use by cannons were also called embrasures.

Plenty of crenellations here.

Londo

LE
Tilbury fort .
This place was only a half hour drive from my last abode so visited quite often .
Interesting in that during WW1 it had some AA guns on the parade that used to fire at zeppelins using the Thames for navigation .
The Germans had their revenge in WW2 when they bombed the place destroying a barrack block .
tilbury960b.jpg

FORMER_FYRDMAN

LE
Book Reviewer
I visited Kenilworth castle a few years back with dome Dutch friends
it was a lovely afternoon
cant find my pics so heres one i nicked
View attachment 462410
The original strength of Kenilworth is hard to appreciate since it's water defences were drained. Lovely castle though.

FORMER_FYRDMAN

LE
Book Reviewer
Clearly designed to cremate immigrants or create step aerobic champions.

Anyway, before the thread descends into irreversible gayness and general Frenchification and chateauness, let's have a decent fortress for when you absolutely, definitely, positively, unquestionably and beyond any doubt, have to tell Welsh people to f@ck off.

1586294573936.png

:

Londo

LE
Just downstream from Tilbury fort is this one .
Coalhouse fort .
Rearmed in WW2 with two 5.5" guns that had been removed from HMS Hood
coalhouse-fort.jpg

Latest Threads