The Castle Thread

tiv

War Hero
We came across Amberley Castle having gone there to look at the village. It appears impressive but is not very substantial and was being operated as an up market hotel/restaraunt.

Amberley.jpg

Blogg

LE
Pork Sword calling Danny Boy......

In the background the title music rolls and talks of Dusseldorf can be heard.

The Schloss Adler, otherwise known as The Fortress of Hohenwerfen, one of Austria's better castles. Around 40km south of Salzburg (or 22.7 nm).

View attachment 472784

Best visited when raining or snowing to get the full castle effect.
Nah best visited in summer.

Then you can take piccies from other side of valley on your way to this:

napier

LE
Kit Reviewer
I cycled out that way a couple of days ago but had no idea it existed - I'll have a detour next time
Keep a wary eye out for the homicidal contributors to the Bl**dy Cyclists thread, else you might end up in a hedge!

napier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Keep a wary eye out for the homicidal contributors to the Bl**dy Cyclists thread, else you might end up in a hedge!
I did giggle when a couple of mamils zoomed past us, but half a mile further on one had fallen trying to cycle through a narrow gap between two pallets of breeze blocks near a building site

tiv

War Hero
I'm surprised noone has mentioned Bodiam Castle yet. Great place and the moat is rammed with huge fish.

View attachment 469657
Love that place and been there several times. The approach to the island in the moat was originally from the west leaving the right side of any attackers exposed to the defenders in the castle as shown in this reconstruction.

1589281408462.jpeg

Love that place and been there several times. The approach to the island in the moat was originally from the west leaving the right side of any attackers exposed to the defenders in the castle as shown in this reconstruction.

View attachment 473008
I do really enjoy the design touches of old castles - the thought that went in to them.

People are mainly right handed.

They'll carry a shield in their left hand.

Let's make it so when they approach by the front door, we'll have their right-hand side exposed. Pure, simple, genius.

tiv

War Hero
I do really enjoy the design touches of old castles - the thought that went in to them.

Let's make it so when they approach by the front door, we'll have their right-hand side exposed. Pure, simple, genius.
The same as the handing of the spiral of stairs to allow the ise of the sword, though ISTR one castle had the spiral the other way as lefthandedness ran in the family.

EDIT: Just did a search and here you go Left Handed Clan Kerr and The Reverse Spiral Staircase | ScotClans | Scottish Clans

daz

LE
A couple of old ones of Caerphilly castle
Caerphilly (1).jpg

Caerphilly (2).jpg

Caerphilly (3).jpg

Caerphilly (4).jpg

The science of their design can be fascinating especially those more substantial structures. Chateau Gaillard designed by Richard I against his French Adversary being in in question.

Londo

LE
Similar to Pleshey but not accessable is the mound of High Ongar Castle. When last there it was also covered in trees so not a lot could be seen. Some information here A look around Chipping Ongar Church and Castle
Never knew about that one . Shame as I lived reasonably near at one time . Not so much now .
Never been excavated .... Hope it will be one day .

Londo

LE
Hedingham Castle, well the Keep anyway as the rest has gone.

View attachment 473053
Long long time since I've visited here . I have a memory of my visit of the wall to the basement being hacked through and big old wooden doors inserted . Also in said basement was a pile of ARP tin hats for some reason . Huge arch in the first floor , very much a feature of the place .

Not a castle in the classical sense, but well worth a climb up the hill, and sounds like there may be more to see there over time if any dig turns into development of a display.

_112270449_taponoth.jpg

'A team of archaeologists from the University of Aberdeen have revealed that the settlement had up to 4000 inhabitants living in over 800 huts. Essentially making the site a city by standards of the day, rivalling in size to post Roman settlements found across Europe.

'Using Radiocarbon dating, the results suggests that the settlement was built in the 5th- 6th centuries AD and covered an area of around 17 acres. Professor Gordon Noble, who led the research, described the discovery through carbon dating that activity at the site extended into the Pictish period as the ‘most surprising of his career’.'

And just a few miles south down the road, you come to Kildrummy.

f5d0b47a7e872cbc32e96d6e8b961958.jpg

Londo

LE
Not strictly a castle but it does have a keep
I give you Fort Brockhurst by drone ( sorry about the crap music )

Clun castle

Sent from my SM-T515 using Tapatalk
'The quietest place under the sun.' Had a couple of great village pubs when we visited some years ago; good beer, good food, and an interesting place for people-watching as the locals went about their (unhurried) business.

'The quietest place under the sun.' Had a couple of great village pubs when we visited some years ago; good beer, good food, and an interesting place for people-watching as the locals went about their (unhurried) business.
We found it completely by accident when out looking for a place to fly our drones. I have some pics of it somewhere taken from our drones and will upload them when I find them.

Latest Threads