The Castle Thread

Londo

LE
Another one for Londo.........

Here is another good one I like . Blackness castle up North . Also known as 'The ship that never sailed'

Londo

LE
Another one for Londo.........

More good stuff . This one I have visited often as it's quite nearby . Orford castle .
Used during WW2 as a radar station
In fact many castle were repurposed for various reasons during the last bit of nastiness
EDIT
Also used as an OP for two separate heavy gun batteries defending the coast .

smeg-head

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Lochan Eilan Castle (sometimes referred to as Rothiemurchus Castle)

Loch-An-Eilean-c.jpg

probably needs a bit of work done on it!

In the middle of the Loch, on what may be a natural island, are the ruins of a small 14th century castle.] It was originally constructed as a place of refuge from thieves and threatening activities. The castle is said to have once been the property of Clan Shaw of Rothimurchus and later to Alexander Stewart the Wolf of Badenoch.

The castle was the site of conflict. The Jacobites, retreating from Cromdale in 1690, besieged the castle. Dame Grizel Mor Grant, widow of the fifth laird Grant, held the castle against the Jacobites. The castle fell out of use in the late 18th century.

The castle may have originally been connected to the shore by a causeway. The causeway became submerged when the water level in the loch was raised by estate work and the building of a dam in the 18th century. The castle was used as the site of the island graveyard in BBC TV’s ‘Monarch of the Glen’.

Londo

LE
Lochan Eilan Castle (sometimes referred to as Rothiemurchus Castle)

View attachment 461889
probably needs a bit of work done on it!

In the middle of the Loch, on what may be a natural island, are the ruins of a small 14th century castle.] It was originally constructed as a place of refuge from thieves and threatening activities. The castle is said to have once been the property of Clan Shaw of Rothimurchus and later to Alexander Stewart the Wolf of Badenoch.

The castle was the site of conflict. The Jacobites, retreating from Cromdale in 1690, besieged the castle. Dame Grizel Mor Grant, widow of the fifth laird Grant, held the castle against the Jacobites. The castle fell out of use in the late 18th century.

The castle may have originally been connected to the shore by a causeway. The causeway became submerged when the water level in the loch was raised by estate work and the building of a dam in the 18th century. The castle was used as the site of the island graveyard in BBC TV’s ‘Monarch of the Glen’.
Very picturesque even if the basement looks a bit damp .

HE117

LE
Here is another good one I like . Blackness castle up North . Also known as 'The ship that never sailed'
Blackness annoys me..!

In Victorian and Edwardian times it was the main powder magazine for the Navy in the Forth, much in the same way as Priddy's Hard was for Pompey.. When the armaments depot moved to Crombie on the other side of the Forth just before the first world war, all the fixtures and fittings except for the pier were stripped out, leaving a huge hole in the middle of the castle..

There are shedloads of old castles in Scotland, but little remains of the Victorian military infrastructure, which IMHO is just as interesting and worth preserving..

Great visiting spot.
Trouble is, even although it's 10 mins car journey from us ( which is fekked just now anyhow) it's where that God awful Outlander was filmed so swarms of too-rust ram it. Or did....

Londo

LE
Blackness annoys me..!

In Victorian and Edwardian times it was the main powder magazine for the Navy in the Forth, much in the same way as Priddy's Hard was for Pompey.. When the armaments depot moved to Crombie on the other side of the Forth just before the first world war, all the fixtures and fittings except for the pier were stripped out, leaving a huge hole in the middle of the castle..

There are shedloads of old castles in Scotland, but little remains of the Victorian military infrastructure, which IMHO is just as interesting and worth preserving..
Yes agreed , although there is a wealth of Victorian stuff it is mostly on the South coast of the UK

Londo

LE
Great visiting spot.
Trouble is, even although it's 10 mins car journey from us ( which is fekked just now anyhow) it's where that God awful Outlander was filmed so swarms of too-rust ram it. Or did....
Just have a nice walk there and enjoy the solitude of visiting the castle .....oh .

jmb3296

Old-Salt
Great visiting spot.
And before that Mel gibson’s hamlet tourists, much fewer but still annoying and then outlander...

Londo

LE
If you look up IKS Exploration on YouTube they’ve got quite a few videos of old fortresses etc. Mainly on the south coast. Some of their stuff is tin foil hat worthy (Geiger counters near Sizewell) but a lot is of interest.
They also visit old air bases, go into ROC posts & have a series of videos about Greenham Common.
Scroll back through their hundreds of videos.
Seen quite a few of their videos . Also when younger visited many of the old Victorian forts on the south coast although my exploration is limited to the internet these days .

Londo

LE
As promised one last small castle .Perhaps tomorrow I shall do a list of my favorite large castles ;)

As promised one last small castle .Perhaps tomorrow I shall do a list of my favorite large castles ;)
I was there just last month.
I didn't think it was anything special

Londo

LE
What of PISS OFF is confusing you?
Actually a lot of castles were very poorly supplied with latrines or garderobes as they were sometimes known which must have pissed off quite a few people .

Londo

LE
I was there just last month.
I didn't think it was anything special
I liked the design of the castle . As a museum it was a bit boring .

this is where I come from , must admit , as a kid I had a hand in making it look so ruined
images.jpg

and here it is nowadays , air BnB and you can rent it at £550 a night , sleeps 14

7698044_0uAOW4G6UQSfdbeI3NmS4dPGnW8sRF6l1ddzqZNrLnE.jpg

Dairsie castle Fife.... shove you Broughty Ferry castle up your arse dundee

Latest Threads