What's the understanding and feeling in Canada of the Fenian raids of the 1870s and another good shoeing the Yanks received?
What "shoeing" are you talking about in the 1870s? Your average Joe Lunch Bucket couldn't have given a toss about Canada by then; he had a whole continent to absorb from sea to shining sea and he was quite busy at that (much to the Red Man's annoyance too because the White Man thought Indian land was his for the taking) And there's the thing about just having fought a devastating 4 year civil war that left the people exhausted.

You may be thinking of the first gen Irishmen who came over on the boat to Boston and New York who were up for twisting the lion's tail in Canada because they hated the British for what they did during the potato famine, etc.but they weren't proper Yankee Doodles, just transplanted paddies. I would imagine the average American didn't care how hard the paddies got malleted by the Canuks - and good riddance to them; ship 'em off back home to Ireland.

Yeah, Nah, no worries, we know where it came from ... 'twas indeed Kraft-owned for some years, as the parent company had been so-acquired, but reverted a couple of years ago to Oz ownership again. Next/current teeth-gnashing 'controversy' here is the [soft-cøck] enforced name-change of one of our best-regarded cheeses, which incidentally goes really well with Vegemite on toast for breakfast: Coon Tasty! Which name was the owner-manufacturer's family name, ffsk ... Grrrr, mumble, feck-it!
Check the history of both Coon and Vegimite. Both made by a joint venture between Fred Walker & Co and Kraft, known as Kraft Walker. Coon was an American product; Walker founded the Kraft JV to make it here.

Last time I was in the States Coon cheese was commonplace; IIRC it’s named after the bloke that invented the process.

What "shoeing" are you talking about in the 1870s? Your average Joe Lunch Bucket couldn't have given a toss about Canada by then; he had a whole continent to absorb from sea to shining sea and he was quite busy at that (much to the Red Man's annoyance too because the White Man thought Indian land was his for the taking) And there's the thing about just having fought a devastating 4 year civil war that left the people exhausted.

You may be thinking of the first gen Irishmen who came over on the boat to Boston and New York who were up for twisting the lion's tail in Canada because they hated the British for what they did during the potato famine, etc.but they weren't proper Yankee Doodles, just transplanted paddies. I would imagine the average American didn't care how hard the paddies got malleted by the Canuks - and good riddance to them; ship 'em off back home to Ireland.
What it did do, for Canada, was push for federation and put cogent defence forward as a key element of the new agglomeration. It also sowed those seeds of long term distrust of the neighbours south of the border.

What it did do, for Canada, was push for federation and put cogent defence forward as a key element of the new agglomeration. It also sowed those seeds of long term distrust of the neighbours south of the border.
The Fenian raids were one part of border tension that continued for over a century from the late 18th to the late 19th centuries. It included two full on invasions, three separate insurgency wars, a terrorism campaign, and multiple threats of war by the US over territory. There is also the factor that the most important parts of anglophone Canada had been founded by refugees from the American revolution and their descendents played an important role in shaping public opinion.

So, the Fenian Raids had a role in Confederation, but it was one of reinforcing an existing public attitude rather than shaping a new one.

There is also the factor that the most important parts of anglophone Canada had been founded by refugees from the American revolution and their descendents played an important role in shaping public opinion.
Splitters. (pbuh)

George Washington on horse.jpg

Strewth! it's the CANZUK Space Force; UK AU Space Bridge .GOV.UK

paging Col Dan Dare.....

View attachment 552244

Well, apparently only if the Australians are willing to come out of the closet as being an ally of the UK.
The signing of today’s Space Bridge partnership, a world’s first, with one of our closet international allies, is another step forward in our ambition for the UK to become a globally-competitive space power.

I note that your lot headed north to the border after June 25 1876 headed by Sitting Bull and Crazy Horse and all your squaw's to seek asylum from the Great White Mother after you gave Custer and the paleface's of the 7th Cavalry a good shoeing at the Little Big Horn.

Note how sergeant Moosejaw of the North West Mounted Police rode in alone in his red coat and pointed out the rules and regulations of the campsite that you were staying in.

I note that your lot headed north to the border after June 25 1876 headed by Sitting Bull and Crazy Horse and all your squaw's to seek asylum from the Great White Mother after you gave Custer and the paleface's of the 7th Cavalry a good shoeing at the Little Big Horn.

Note how sergeant Moosejaw of the North West Mounted Police rode in alone in his red coat and pointed out the rules and regulations of the campsite that you were staying in.
Very accommodating he was too. I'll bet he had a dog named King too. :p

We were content to rest awhile under the Great White Queen's protection, but we were not fooled. The whites in Canada didn't like the First Peoples any better than the Yankee Doodles. vz. Louis Riel.

Sergeant_Preston_Of_The_Yukon_730x730.jpg

We were content to rest awhile under the Great White Queen's protection, but we were not fooled. The whites in Canada didn't like the First Peoples any better than the Yankee Doodles. vz. Louis Riel.

View attachment 552278

Should've burned their wagons.

Ah...

Right...

This is a particularly fine drawing by the victors of the battle.

Little Big Horn.jpg

View attachment 552278
I note that most of your tribes fought on the side of our Great King George between 1775-83 against those colonial Yankee upstarts.

I note that most of your tribes fought on the side of our Great King George between 1775-83 against those colonial Yankee upstarts.
Quite rightly too. King George decreed that the English colonists should stay on the east side of the Appalachians and leave the west to the Red Man.

Last edited:

Yarra

War Hero

Quite rightly too. King George decreed that the English colonists should stay on the east of the Appalachians and leave the west to the Red Man.
Another reason for the ungrateful grabbing rebels to kick off. Anyway, this is the CANZUK thread, we want none of your* Spammishness here. This is for fam.

See that tree over there?.......

*I fully understand that the Red tribes had no choice whatsoever (perhaps the Reservations should apply to join the Commonwealth?) . :cool:

Latest Threads