What Ferkin mobs? ..and I take issue with that (rather excellent) pizza; NFW would Tazzie be more burnter than Bendigo...
Aaah, Yarra, nothing personal re the "baying mobs", coz I are one on the other side of the equation, eh! And as far the map of Tassie, well, I think there are more brunettes in Oz now than blondes, so it could be accurate.

I count myself as most fortunate indeed, to have been educated in rural South Australia during a still very colonially parochial era, the mid-50s, where as a 3rd/4th Grader we were given a small dose of European and British History, as a pre-cursor to Australian History ... all 170-odd years of it, as then acknowledged. Having lived/worked overseas I’ve had the opportunity to temper that original grounding in Colonial Supremacy with exposure to other nations’ interpretations of their history and percieved global effect. I reckon us “still-attached” (CANZUK) Colonials have got it better than those who have been cast off, notwithstanding the bleating and baying mobs who would rush to ”... cast off the Monarchical yoke ...”.
View attachment 551616
Is that marmite?

Aaah, Yarra, nothing personal re the "baying mobs", coz I are one on the other side of the equation, eh! And as far the map of Tassie, well, I think there are more brunettes in Oz now than blondes, so it could be accurate.
It’s been a while since there was any difference. You’d be far more accurate showing a denuded island.

Is that marmite?
Marmite? Marmite! Definitely not ... it's Vegemite, a fine accompaniment to my travels ... and the food upon which a nation thrived! Marmite, indeed!
IMG00769-20120114-1939.jpg

Yarra

War Hero
Puri, all good here. :) .. I hadn't considered it (the Pizza) from that pov.. However, collar and cuffs? ;)

The Fenian Raids are normally taught as a standard part of history in schools in Canada, although that may vary from province to province. Having students remember anything they heard in history class is a somewhat bigger challenge.

As taught, the significance of the Fenian raids is with respect to being an illustration of the continuing tensions with the US throughout the 19th century.

History in Canada is not normally portrayed in a triumphalist manner, but rather as a series of challenges which had to be faced and overcome. So the outcome of the Fenian Raids would not be seen as "ha! ha! We beat you again!", but rather "that was another narrow escape we just had".
This is the extent of what we were taught about the Fenian raids in our single mandatory history class. "Confederation came about in 1867 in the aftermath of the American Civil War and the Fenian Raids." It was pretty much dismissed in a single sentence. There was zero mention of Ridgeway, Eccles Hill, or any of the other raid sites.

This is the extent of what we were taught about the Fenian raids in our single mandatory history class. "Confederation came about in 1867 in the aftermath of the American Civil War and the Fenian Raids." It was pretty much dismissed in a single sentence. There was zero mention of Ridgeway, Eccles Hill, or any of the other raid sites.
If you're going to cover pre-confederation history from the Norse settlements to 1867 in a one semester course, you're not going to get much detail on any particular element of it.

I do recall the Fenians being discussed in terms of who they were, what their goals were, and their influence on Canada, including their insurgency and their assassination of D'arcy Mcgee (an important political figure in Canada). I think there was some mention of The Ridgeway in terms of showing how poor their leadership was.

Realistically though, there's a finite amount of classroom time and it's not possible to more than skim over things in a secondary school history class.

If you're going to cover pre-confederation history from the Norse settlements to 1867 in a one semester course, you're not going to get much detail on any particular element of it.

I do recall the Fenians being discussed in terms of who they were, what their goals were, and their influence on Canada, including their insurgency and their assassination of D'arcy Mcgee (an important political figure in Canada). I think there was some mention of The Ridgeway in terms of showing how poor their leadership was.

Realistically though, there's a finite amount of classroom time and it's not possible to more than skim over things in a secondary school history class.
And to be fair to the teacher, he had to move it along as quickly as possible so that he could then concentrate on teaching us about the Constitution Act of 1982 and beyond so that way we could make some sort of sense of the Meech Lake/Charlottetown Accords debates that were raging at that time.

Kraft, eh?

The shame must be killing you...
Yeah, Nah, no worries, we know where it came from ... 'twas indeed Kraft-owned for some years, as the parent company had been so-acquired, but reverted a couple of years ago to Oz ownership again. Next/current teeth-gnashing 'controversy' here is the [soft-cøck] enforced name-change of one of our best-regarded cheeses, which incidentally goes really well with Vegemite on toast for breakfast: Coon Tasty! Which name was the owner-manufacturer's family name, ffsk ... Grrrr, mumble, feck-it!