The Canadian Empire

Discussion in 'Multinational HQ' started by wotan, Nov 23, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. WARNING!! Boring Canadian Political Content Follows.

This thread is probably of more interest to my fellow Canuckleheads, but anybody should feel free to pitch in their tuppence on it.

There is a move afoot in Parliament to recognize the Province Of Quebec as a nation within Canada. Now, apparently there are subtle differences in the meaning of the term "nation" as used in English and French, however as I am an Anglophone it is beyond me. Apparently I missed the bit during the last election where this was an issue or that the Canadian people gave a mandate to a minority government to act on this matter.

I can't for the life of me see how this is supposed to "unify" Canadians, unless the intent is to unify Quebecers in seeing themselves as something other than Canadians and to unify Westerners as seeing themselves as generally pissed off. Isn't the concept of giving one region of a country a "different status", even if only symbolically, going to lead to a sense of alienation from the greater whole?

Personally, I'm so tired of this talk of separation and designation as a distinct society that we should just start to have silly fun with it. Let's declare the Prime Minister office abolished and establish an Emperor. Give him or her a Chamberlain and instead of handing out appointments to the Senate, we can just give away (or sell) a few titles. Imagine being the First Count Of Red Deer or His Lordship, The Count of Head-Smashed-In-Buffalo-Jump. Heck, we could even end up with our own Duke Of York.

Foolishness, but what else to expect from our Canadian politicians.

2. Why does Canada even bother to have a military if it just gives away parts of the country anyways?

I guess treason isn't as serious as telling people to f*** off theese days.

3. Aren't all the different native Canadian tribes (not sure if this is pc word) called nations?

4. Can I be Grand Vizier of the Irish Diaspora Who Aren't Even In Canada...please

5. Bouillabaisse

Bouillabaisse LE Book Reviewer

Of course, the advantage of 2 nations is that one can invade the other without it being called a civil war. Alternatively, Quebec/Kuwait -they sound similar. perhaps the Spams will invade?

6. blue-sophist

blue-sophist LE Good Egg (charities)

Poor Wotan - have you ever considered emigration? :)

Consider the anomalies of the British Crown. The Isle of Man, Jersey and Guernsey are Crown Dependencies. We are NOT part of the [UK] United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, although we are British Isles! UK is part of the b***dy European Union, but Jersey and Guensey are not [IOM, I don't know]. Until the early part of the 20th C, Jersey's language was Jerrias, a form of Norman French patois. Only this month, a change in the law meanst that the Royal Court will now conduct all property transfer business in English - for the first time EVER!!!

So, if the Q's want independence, as part of a Great Canadian Union, you may well be content to let them go ... under the clear conditions, as we have here, that they raise their own taxes and generally sort out their own s**t. Think how much the rest of Canada could save by having a single language on road signs, Govt documentation, etc. etc.

B_S, wholly British by birth, and now partly British through emigration to an obscure corner of Her Majesty's Realms and Dominions!!! :lol:

7. Gremlin

Gremlin LE Good Egg (charities)

Wotan,

I thought that the Indian tribes had effectively put a blocker on the
    Quebec issue by stating that they did not wish to separate?

Has this changed now?

8. Perhaps it's time for a joke:

Q: Did you hear about the guy from Calgary who had a map of Canada tattooed on his a$$?

A: Every time he sits down, Quebec separates.

9. The french don't read road signs anyways.

Doing 140 seems to be the normal speed limit in montreal and if its a taxi it means doing 140 and cutting off 4 lanes of traffic.

10. Living here in Ontario i have to say let em go,lets see how long they can survive on there own,we could have the navy blockade the St Lawrence Seaway,give em a year and they'll be crying to come back as their economy collapses.canada is great for giving aid around the world,at least this time it will be on our own doorstep,won't have so far to go,to send in peacekeepers when the First Nations revolt.

11. Old 'un but not a bad 'un.

Queen visits Canada. During formal discussions with the Canadian PM he brings up the subject of withdrawing from the Commonwealth and having their own royal ruler.

"We are thinking of becoming an Empire Ma'am"

"You will need an Emperor your constitution will not permit it."

"Well how about a Kingdom then?"

"You would need a King and you do not have any Royal lineage anywhere in the country"

"Okay then how about becoming a Principality surely that must be feasible?"

"Once again my dear Prime Minister a Royal issue. A Principality is ruled by a Prince"

"Well Ma'am do you have any suggestions?"

"The only thing that is immediately apparent my dear Prime Minister is that you are definitely a Country"

12. I have been to Quebec , arrogant blueshites, traffic is a nightmare in Montreal, no English sign anywhere at all, no concession to English speakers, at one time American stopped coming to Quebec once the new French language law came in, because they refused to speak in English, they will only talk French, they soon changed their tune once the Dollar stopped coming in.
    now US tourism is coming back, once they started to use English, regarding the First Nations, they hold a lot of natural resources in the North which the French want as they wouldn't be able to function with it and the Indians do not want to be part of an Independent Quebec.

sometime i do wish the French just get on with it and separate leaving the First nation North to remain with Canada so they can build a new Transcan 1 linking the eastern part.

13. Actually, I have spoken to the wife about possibly emigrating to Australia....however, she wants to wait until the kids are grown and out of the house and I can support that.

Yes, various Indian bands have taken to calling themselves First Nations and the Government supports them on it. However, the Ministry that administers to them is still called Indian And Northern Affairs. Odd, but there you have it.

As for the question of Quebec separating, well, if they want to go and their will is expressed democratically, then I believe they should be allowed to go. But, as Blue Sophist noted, with the condition that they pay their own way.

It just strikes me as bizarre that the Government is supposed to try and unify the country, but instead is helping set up "distinctions" and designating a Province as a Nation. The Tories won't be getting my vote again.

14. blue-sophist

blue-sophist LE Good Egg (charities)

Poor Wotan. Genuinely. The "Q-factor" is one significant driver for me in not wanting to visit your country - although I've passed through a couple of times.

I fell out of love with my Mother Country as well, and that should never be seen as an issue. Countries change, as do people, and as T Bliar would say, "move on"! In so many places, everyone has to have rights except the majority - with you on that. Somehow I never seem to be the "focus group" or "beneficiary" :x

How Oz will suit I'm not sure - great as individuals but the "culture" is for the [un]discerning taste. :) Last time I was there I was talking to a Brit bride - her view was that if you weren't into BBQ and beer there was little else.

That said, have had lots of great Oz contacts [still have a couple, so that proves they're tolerant!]. So don't throw Oz dog-s**t at me house, mate, I loves ya really, and yer wine's bonzer [I think that's how it goes!] :lol:

15. Why don't you move to the US?

They have tanks and aircraft in their military.