Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Camper Caper.

NSP

LE
Anyone know what this means (top right)? It’s started to flash under moderate braking or when going over bumpy roads. I’ve googled, but no luck.
Looks like a steering wheel, axle and turned wheels so probably something to do with the power steering.

Edited to add: beaten to it!

Amazed at how much difference in sound the shiny silver stuff makes. Window cut in, pissing hard with rain so I guess it's a good test over night.

Attachments

• PXL_20201024_160118074_compress26.jpg
    PXL_20201024_160118074_compress26.jpg
    440 KB · Views: 61
  • PXL_20201024_160124585_compress38.jpg
    PXL_20201024_160124585_compress38.jpg
    420.9 KB · Views: 60
Cubby holes fit and extra sound proofing in the gaps in the floor.
Addition of 240v supply socket has reduced the width of the right hand boxing.
Another 3mm layer of laminate flooring underlay then hardboard on the base it's looking good in my head!

Attachments

• PXL_20201026_175251747.MP_compress74.jpg
    PXL_20201026_175251747.MP_compress74.jpg
    455.2 KB · Views: 40
Update folks....

Well, I didn’t get the job. It’s either because I’m rubbish (although I’ve never been rubbish before) or the whole thing was a scam to get a qualified bod in to clear a workshop full of jobs, without committing to actually employing them with all the legal complications that creates for
What did I tell you......

Awol

LE
Update folks....

Well, I didn’t get the job. It’s either because I’m rubbish (although I’ve never been rubbish before) or the whole thing was a scam to get a qualified bod in to clear a workshop full of jobs, without committing to actually employing them with all the legal complications that creates for an employer.

As already noted, my good buddy Old Stab did warn me beforehand that this type of scam was common when an employer just need someone for a couple of weeks to cover someone’s holidays etc, or when there is a backlog of work that needs dealing with. In my case, they had nobody to repair about 20 items that customers were screaming for. I successfully repaired all of them in two weeks, no returns, and then given the heave-ho.

Or..... it was because I was crap. I’ll cheerfully accept either reason, but I’ll probably never know. Either way, it was a couple of weeks money.

One thing though, for the duration, I was a couple of hundred miles from home and living in the (very unfinished) van and it was horrible. No storage space, too exhausted to sort things out and stuff everywhere. I do have a photo of it at its worst, but to be honest I’m too embarrassed to post it.

Awol

LE
@Chalky101 and @NSP .... thanks for the power steering fluid tips.... spot on.

BTW... I had two tyres replaced yesterday and both of the (date stamped) old ones were 18 years old. One was down to the legal limit, the other had loads of tread, but was cracking. Not really surprising after that long.

wheel

LE
Update folks....

Well, I didn’t get the job. It’s either because I’m rubbish (although I’ve never been rubbish before) or the whole thing was a scam to get a qualified bod in to clear a workshop full of jobs, without committing to actually employing them with all the legal complications that creates for an employer.

As already noted, my good buddy Old Stab did warn me beforehand that this type of scam was common when an employer just need someone for a couple of weeks to cover someone’s holidays etc, or when there is a backlog of work that needs dealing with. In my case, they had nobody to repair about 20 items that customers were screaming for. I successfully repaired all of them in two weeks, no returns, and then given the heave-ho.

Or..... it was because I was crap. I’ll cheerfully accept either reason, but I’ll probably never know. Either way, it was a couple of weeks money.

One thing though, for the duration, I was a couple of hundred miles from home and living in the (very unfinished) van and it was horrible. No storage space, too exhausted to sort things out and stuff everywhere. I do have a photo of it at its worst, but to be honest I’m too embarrassed to post it.
Well done for giving it a go , What is your trade and rough location ?.

Update folks....

Sounds like you smashed the job, just cnuts of a hirer.
Glad to hear I'm a clever twat sometimes! ;)

Update on my mini camper.

Window and roof light in and not leaking :) light tracks up, immediately felt the warmth with the stretch fabric.
Mate is supplying me some carpet for the base tomorrow.
Weather looks set to be cracking for the engine service at the weekend. The ply should arrive next week to make the pull out bed and cupboard units.

Attachments

• PXL_20201101_141846026_compress71.jpg
    PXL_20201101_141846026_compress71.jpg
    591.3 KB · Views: 41
  • PXL_20201031_195019063_compress85.jpg
    PXL_20201031_195019063_compress85.jpg
    493.8 KB · Views: 41

Awol

LE
Update on my mini camper.

Window and roof light in and not leaking :) light tracks up, immediately felt the warmth with the stretch fabric.
Mate is supplying me some carpet for the base tomorrow.
Weather looks set to be cracking for the engine service at the weekend. The ply should arrive next week to make the pull out bed and cupboard units.
Looks great mate. What’s that on the walls? Felt?

After a brief pause whilst waiting on carpet, and re ordering ply at a sensible cost! Service was carried out and the van has heating and cooling again 8)

I got going again this week.

Attachments

• PXL_20201115_114235814.jpg
    PXL_20201115_114235814.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 32
  • PXL_20201115_114434550.jpg
    PXL_20201115_114434550.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 32

Latest Threads