Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Camper Caper.

A.N.Other

Old-Salt
Air is not a very good insulator. Have had the same when camping - lying on a bag of cold air on a thin groundsheet on the cold ground and it doesn't matter how many layers are over. Get some under, too. I use a quilted mattress topper on the air bed, then a duvet as a sheet. Duvet over the top and toasty warm.
The old saying is "one underneath is worth two on top". You lose a lot (if not most) heat through the ground. Definately want to get a closed cell matt, insulated self inflating mat or just a thick duvet under you.

sunny james

War Hero
I need to get it right, as from next week I’m going to be living in it, having travelled 80 miles to take up a new job. The alternative was to live in the boss’s spare room for £550 a month.

Back to the van, tonight I’ve just started to clean out the toilet/shower cubicle....

View attachment 508708

I also took out the bog poo tank to empty it. I was lucky, I was expecting it to be full of the previous owner’s logs and piss, but it was empty, so a quick hose out (in the neighbour’s flower bed, obviously), loads of thick bleach, and I slid it back into the van. Tomorrow I’m going to give the shower cubicle a good scrubbing, add yet more bleach, and it’ll be good to go. The bog will work fine, but the gas hot water heater needs the attentions of a plumber before I can get any hot water. In the meantime, it’ll be hot water from a kettle and a sponge to keep the smeg at bay.
Sort out a pee pot. I use a gallon fuel container with a funnel made from the top of a 2 ltr bottle with a few inches of pipe added. Sits on top of the bog, it's just the right height. I've trained Mrs sj to use it as well (hand held). If you don't mix 1+2s you don't get the smell either.

Sort out a pee pot. I use a gallon fuel container with a funnel made from the top of a 2 ltr bottle with a few inches of pipe added. Sits on top of the bog, it's just the right height. I've trained Mrs sj to use it as well (hand held). If you don't mix 1+2s you don't get the smell either.

That's an image I'm not getting out of my head for some time - still, the memories of your camping trips will be a thing to treasure :cool:

arfah

LE
Thinking of getting one of these just for camping expeditions, 2 people plus 2 tents, 1 for putting up for a night and one larger one for longer and all the gear needed, extra lights & roof box, cool box, second leisure battery, small wine chiller, better seats, shocks and other bits. 80 MPG, on the saving every 4/5 night a hotel.

View attachment 508609

Reminder: It’s a commercial vehicle NOT a car. Add £200 on top of the current yearly road fund licence.
You won’t be able to take rubbish to the local tip with it, either.

Awol

LE
If you need a funnel you must be a big boy...

The plan is just about complete. Test pieces made, beds made. Don't get the van until March :-(

Sent from my neocore_E1R1 using Tapatalk

Awol

LE
For those that lie awake at nights wondering how my CamperBeast is progressing, I apologise for lack of updates. As I alluded to a couple of weeks ago, I am now living in the thing as I carry out a trial for a new job. Inside the van, I’ve fitted another couple of donated doors to create another cupboard space. This one doesn’t hinge to the floor like the other one, but is just fitted to the floor with right angled shelving brackets. Inside this new unit I’ve fitted the much acclaimed Chinese diesel heater....
0D905FF0-A752-4B6A-B0B4-8BFF2AEC1254.jpeg

and I can attest that they are the dogs gonads. Fresh, clean hot air at the press of a remote control. Brilliant.

I haven’t been able to do any more to the van because I’m just too knackered at the end of the day, partly because I’m not eating anything solid at all (I just vomit it back up an hour later), but also because I’ve only worked for a couple of months in the past two years due to aforementioned illness and my body just isn’t used to it. If I get the job (I find out tomorrow) then obviously my strength and stamina will hopefully build up again.

So I’m living the dream in a 22 year old van. I almost wish I was a hippy.

For those that lie awake at nights wondering how my CamperBeast is progressing, I apologise for lack of updates. As I alluded to a couple of weeks ago, I am now living in the thing as I carry out a trial for a new job. Inside the van, I’ve fitted another couple of donated doors to create another cupboard space. This one doesn’t hinge to the floor like the other one, but is just fitted to the floor with right angled shelving brackets. Inside this new unit I’ve fitted the much acclaimed Chinese diesel heater....View attachment 512351

and I can attest that they are the dogs gonads. Fresh, clean hot air at the press of a remote control. Brilliant.

I haven’t been able to do any more to the van because I’m just too knackered at the end of the day, partly because I’m not eating anything solid at all (I just vomit it back up an hour later), but also because I’ve only worked for a couple of months in the past two years due to aforementioned illness and my body just isn’t used to it. If I get the job (I find out tomorrow) then obviously my strength and stamina will hopefully build up again.

Best of luck with the job, being in employment always helps life.

Last edited:
For those that lie awake at nights wondering how my CamperBeast is progressing, I apologise for lack of updates. As I alluded to a couple of weeks ago, I am now living in the thing as I carry out a trial for a new job. Inside the van, I’ve fitted another couple of donated doors to create another cupboard space. This one doesn’t hinge to the floor like the other one, but is just fitted to the floor with right angled shelving brackets. Inside this new unit I’ve fitted the much acclaimed Chinese diesel heater....View attachment 512351

Don't bother having a wash then, hippy-walt.
Good luck with the job.

Best of luck with the job, you deserve a good break after all the shit.

Awol

LE
Thanks fellas.

Btw, I’m getting quite adept at dropping my bollocks into a bowl of lukewarm water.

It’s washing my hair in the same water afterwards that makes me really feel like a hippy.

@Awol

Dipping my toes in the vanlife thing, so my compliments to you.

I have found this a remarkably useful resource - and interesting your experience of the Chinese diesel heater matches the reviews I read elsewhere.

Good luck mate and stay safe.

Thanks fellas.

Btw, I’m getting quite adept at dropping my bollocks into a bowl of lukewarm water.

It’s washing my hair in the same water afterwards that makes me really feel like a hippy.
Just ever so slightly a teensy-weensy, tiny, insignificant, nay miniscule bit too much information there.

Thought you'd like to know.

Thanks fellas.

Awol, hope you got the job. Anyway, not sure where you are based but I semi converted a Transit Jumbo and we’ve just been given a new double mattress.
We got a memory foam mattress for sale if your interested.
What you need to put underneath your bed is that insulation made out of bubble wrap and insulate in between. I put this stuff underneath my tent when I go camping on the motorcycle.

And it begins...
Side window with blind ordered.
Sound dampening inbound passenger seat needs shifting forward 50mm to allow for 1700 sliding bed.
Lucky I'm a short-arrse!

Attachments

• PXL_20201021_171704594_compress88.jpg
    PXL_20201021_171704594_compress88.jpg
    514.4 KB · Views: 38
  • PXL_20201021_180224912_compress64.jpg
    PXL_20201021_180224912_compress64.jpg
    476.1 KB · Views: 38
And it begins...
Side window with blind ordered.
Sound dampening inbound passenger seat needs shifting forward 50mm to allow for 1700 sliding bed.
Lucky I'm a short-arrse!
Be a shame not to use the space either side just behind the seats... do you have a plan?

Latest Threads