The Camper Caper.

NSP

LE
Recommend that you lay a couple of lengths of cable in conduit across the van floor before laying insulation and flooring. You will almost certainly need power on both sides of the van. Cables going down the sides of the van or up to the roof can tap into these. I would use 16mm or 25 mm welding cable.
Aye - good idea. Lay in a bus or ring-main with tap-offs to strategically sited junction boxes around the periphery that can be easily connected into when deciding to reconfigure or upgrade, without having to dig out the main internal structure to lay new power.

NSP

LE
ooo hark at you with your Newtons Laws...
He's got a point - keep the weight low and build storage so that heavy stuff is stored over the rear axle, such as crockery, pots & pans, canned goods, etc.

Lots of campers in South Devon this week. Got chatting to a chap on our site who converted a Vauxhall Combo van! When his transit engine blew, his wife said "good, I never liked van life anyway". I don't think she expected him to build a smaller van and leave her at home!

Sent from my neocore_E1R1 using Tapatalk

The end result is that both sides are now effectively insulated with no gaps anywhere. To add even more I intend to cover the whole thing with one inch polystyrene sheet, giving a total of three inches of insulation.
Three inches of insulation is pretty much freezer spec......

TheSnake

Clanker
This was my 2010 T5 Transporter as of last Tuesday.
I'm not doing this conversion because a/ I do not have the time and b/ I do not have the skills.
It's nearly complete, I'm waiting for progress pics from the company doing the conversion.
I'll try and remember to post them up when it's done...

Attachments

Truxx

LE
He's got a point - keep the weight low and build storage so that heavy stuff is stored over the rear axle, such as crockery, pots & pans, canned goods, etc.
Speed is danger. Square law for kinetic energy etc

So play it safe.

Drive a VW T2. Or even better a wheezy T1 with a 1300 motor.

RigPig

War Hero
Speed is danger. Square law for kinetic energy etc

So play it safe.

Drive a VW T2. Or even better a wheezy T1 with a 1300 motor.
My old VW T25 originally had the 1600 CT motor. 50 bhp when new. Who knows what it put out 35 years later. Fast it wasn’t. Especially when the van was heavy to start with, Holdsworth conversions were never light and then it was filled with biking and camping stuff. I did swap the engine to a CU later and got a lot more power. I could even over take things on the A5 out of Betsy Coed. It was still like throwing £20 notes out the window every couple of miles though. I still needed a run up at some hills though.

Edit to change T2 to T25.

RP.

Last edited:

Truxx

LE
My old VW T2 originally had the 1600 CT motor. 50 bhp when new. Who knows what it put out 35 years later. Fast it wasn’t. Especially when the van was heavy to start with, Holdsworth conversions were never light and then it was filled with biking and camping stuff. I did swap the engine to a CU later and got a lot more power. I could even over take things on the A5 out of Betsy Coed. It was still like throwing £20 notes out the window every couple of miles though. I still needed a run up at some hills though.

RP.
My case rests Yr Honour.

Errm - a minor point, hopefully: you have considered the implications of this little beast?

VIN.jpg

Having 'done' the motorhome thing a few years back before moving onto boats, you really do need to keep an eye on MAM, MTW, etc, even more so when it's you building the bloody thing I suspect (caveat: I have absolutely no experience in such a venture).

. . . though I do have many happy hours experience at the local weighbridge, balancing bloody axle weights.

Oh, and unless you have GF rights to a C1 category, 3500kg is your golden target.

:)

For the money @Awol will spend on his conversion he could easily have bought...

View attachment 497701

Seen on FaceAche today... very nice vehicle but is £47k for real?
Yep.

'Cos it's Heritage, innit?

A VW split-screen is the Holy Grail of stupid people with too much money VW connoisseurs.

. . . little realising they have spent the price of a modern and roomy s/h Elddis or Auto Trail for the delight of an underpowered air-cooled shed with drum brakes.

Latest Threads