The bumble bee

Discussion in 'The ARRSE Hole' started by Scally, Sep 23, 2004.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Did you know that according to the theory of aerodynamics, and as may well be demonstrated by the means of a wind tunnel, the bumble bee shouldn't be able to fly.

You see because of its size weight and shape in relation to its total wingspan, flight should be impossible, however a bumble be being unaware of these scientific facts, but possessing considerable determination does fly....and makes a little honey too!
  2. Scally you have serious issues or to much time on yer hands
  3. You're also incorrect I'm afraid. The work that suggested that bumble bees can't aviate was done using aerodynamic data and codes for conventional aircraft. These are of course inappropriate for the low Reynolds numbers environment the bumble bee operates in. I think that the structural dynamics of the wing-muscle combination were also incorrectly modelled.

When you use data appropriate to the bumble bee and not a 747 then funnily enough you show that the bumble bee can fly. But that's not a very interesting story. Bit like my post then.
  4. Well, I can use newtons laws of motion to prove that when a fly hits the front of a moving train......... The Train Stops !!

5. Can a Bee stall?
  6. Only if it wants to sell honey. :D

Ill go back to my cave. :roll:
  7. Dunno but catching them in a jam jar, shaking it violently before letting them out used to be quite amusing as a kid....... 8O.....watching them crawl round in circles for a bit before stamping on them! :D
  8. Ord_Sgt

Ord_Sgt RIP

Not an animal lover then cait? :p

Damn, women are just plain nasty :twisted:
  9. Ventress

Ventress LE Moderator

Thats why Bumble bees are deaf. Cos they have never heard they cannot fly.
  10. its a known fact amongst bikers that bumble bees are Two Stroke - otherwise how else could you explain the hi rate of rpm...

plus if your tanking along at 100mph+ and a bumble bee hits you in the chest - stop cos u cant breath, like being hit by a cricket ball.

Not the best aspect of biking.
  11. "Where the bee sucks, there suck I"!!!! Elaborate!!