The bumble bee

Did you know that according to the theory of aerodynamics, and as may well be demonstrated by the means of a wind tunnel, the bumble bee shouldn't be able to fly.

You see because of its size weight and shape in relation to its total wingspan, flight should be impossible, however a bumble be being unaware of these scientific facts, but possessing considerable determination does fly....and makes a little honey too!

You're also incorrect I'm afraid. The work that suggested that bumble bees can't aviate was done using aerodynamic data and codes for conventional aircraft. These are of course inappropriate for the low Reynolds numbers environment the bumble bee operates in. I think that the structural dynamics of the wing-muscle combination were also incorrectly modelled.

When you use data appropriate to the bumble bee and not a 747 then funnily enough you show that the bumble bee can fly. But that's not a very interesting story. Bit like my post then.

One_of_the_strange said:
You're also incorrect I'm afraid. The work that suggested that bumble bees can't aviate was done using aerodynamic data and codes for conventional aircraft. These are of course inappropriate for the low Reynolds numbers environment the bumble bee operates in. I think that the structural dynamics of the wing-muscle combination were also incorrectly modelled.

When you use data appropriate to the bumble bee and not a 747 then funnily enough you show that the bumble bee can fly. But that's not a very interesting story. Bit like my post then.
Can a Bee stall?

bernoulli said:
Can a Bee stall?
Dunno but catching them in a jam jar, shaking it violently before letting them out used to be quite amusing as a kid....... 8O.....watching them crawl round in circles for a bit before stamping on them! :D

Not an animal lover then cait? :p

Damn, women are just plain nasty :twisted:

its a known fact amongst bikers that bumble bees are Two Stroke - otherwise how else could you explain the hi rate of rpm...

plus if your tanking along at 100mph+ and a bumble bee hits you in the chest - stop cos u cant breath, like being hit by a cricket ball.

Not the best aspect of biking.

Latest Threads