The Budget

Well i dont make £150.000 a year so I guess I'm screwed, but theres no surprice their, labour already bent me over the table, now the Tory/Lib pact is only finishing the job.

3P on fuel so add another 3 by the time it gets to the pump

Daft as it sounds this means I need another job closer to home .In 4 years the cost has virtually doubled for fuel ;I just wish my salary had done so but a pay freeze for 3 years means no

TheresaMay

ADC
DirtyBAT
No change for me - fuel not changing for now, alchy-hol not changing for now.

Bad news if you smoke. But then again, I'm sure next time Panorama or some other factual programme run a documentary along the lines of "14 kids and counting" we'll see everyone in the family 'struggling' on benefits, whilst all the parents and all kids over the age of 11 puff away on copious amounts of cigarettes in shot of the camera moaning about how difficult their life is having only 200 channels to watch on their shiny 50" plasma.

So us middle income types - I reckon we'll be around £200 a year better off with raising the Income Tax threshold to just over £9K, yes?

And a big thumbs-up on the 100% Council Tax relief for those that are deployed. I suppose it's the least they can do after freezing our pay and hiking up the cost of living to pay for Labour's terrible grasp of economics!

Mr_Fingerz

LE
Book Reviewer
The fuel increase doesn't kick in until August (and there may be other pressures then that ensure that it doesn't happen).

The one to watch for is the increase on tobacco products (Cigarettes, Cigars, HRT and OST) which kicks in at 1800hrs.

If a tobacconist tries to hike his prices and tell you "it's the govt/budget innit" gently remind him that all of his stock bore duty at the previous rate and that if he tries to profiteer that you'll torch his premises.

I think its bad news if you earn 60k+, own a home worth more than £2 million, smoke, drive and were hoping to retire.............just dont crack open a bottle to celebrate/commiserate as that may well get hit too.
However, if like me, you earn 30k, own 2 cars, have sprogs, dual income, dont smoke, drink in moderation (old age you see. Cant seem to help needing a leak), are 25 years of retiring, mortgaged, your idea of a second home is the outhouse, blahblahblahblah you're quids in.......supposedly!!!!!!!!!!!

Footnote. Osborne hinted at chnages to pension rates which may well be a help yourself to Over 60s pensions/finances.

As a pensioner,it ****ing sucks.

No surprise really,they've got to finance the child benefit u-turn somehow,gutless bastards,should have stuck with the lower ceiling,instead of screwing people who have paid into the system,for nearly 50 years,maybe they'll bring in free euthenasia next year! :-x

I think its bad news if you earn 60k+, own a home worth more than £2 million, smoke, drive and were hoping to retire.............just dont crack open a bottle to celebrate/commiserate as that may well get hit too.
However, if like me, you earn 30k, own 2 cars, have sprogs, dual income, dont smoke, drink in moderation (old age you see. Cant seem to help needing a leak), are 25 years of retiring, mortgaged, your idea of a second home is the outhouse, blahblahblahblah you're quids in.......supposedly!!!!!!!!!!!

Footnote. Osborne hinted at chnages to pension rates which may well be a help yourself to Over 60s pensions/finances.
That's me****ed then!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm surprised they've targeted Pensioners, mind you who are the target voters come 2015? The ones who'll benefit from the initial tax relief.

Behind the scenes Labour I suspect are quite relieved the Coalition are the bad guys clearing up 'their mess' which makes the Labour party an easier voters choice in a few years.

Then arrse will debate it all over again.

37p on a packet of fags, what a ****. Anyone would think its ****ing illegal!

37p on a packet of fags, what a ****. Anyone would think its ****ing illegal!
I started smoking 17 years ago and fegs were £1.17 for 10 and £2.27 for 20 Lambert and Butler...... Now it'll be 7 quid odds for 20 Lambert.......

It's a ****ing joke. 17 years may seem a long time for such a rise, but when your smoking 20 a day, that's an awful lot of a rise over the years.

Wife only does 10 hours a week so already has more tax allowances than she can use. Neither of us drink or smoke but we both drive, buy hot chicken from Sainsburys which will now attract VAT and I'm over the limit so lose child benefit.

Unfortunately George won't be losing my vote because the twat would never get it as long as I've got a hole in my arse anyway

Mr_Fingerz

LE
Book Reviewer
But there are dedicated teams of anti-smuggling officers at all of our ports and airports ready to....

ooops.

As a pensioner,it ****ing sucks.

No surprise really,they've got to finance the child benefit u-turn somehow,gutless bastards,should have stuck with the lower ceiling,instead of screwing people who have paid into the system,for nearly 50 years,maybe they'll bring in free euthenasia next year! :-x
You can always vow not to vote for them in 2015. Problem is being a pensioner you'll have forgotten about it by then.

Just had my in laws on ranting about the frozen allowances. I review and sort out their tax codes every year. Haven't paid any for 5 years and won't next year but they are too wound up by the news coverage to understand.

That said they'll still be hit by the fuel price increases. I've told them not to bother visiting if it helps :)

Pensioners today are,laughing,and crying at the same time.

They're laughing at families who earn over £40,000 p.a. who are still bleating that they can't manage on what they have,the cry "We can't afford child care" ,keeps coming to the fore,along with "If the interest rates go up,we can't pay the mortgage",it's so simple,don't spend more than you can afford,and don't expect the state to pay for your kids,or child care!

They're crying because,the only people who give a **** about pensioners are,pensioners,most of whom can't afford the train fare to come to London,to protest.

This is the generation who,didn't get shitload of money for having kids,had to wait until they were over 30,to get a mortgage,and are now paying for it with low interest returns on their life savings,being treated so badly by the NHS,that a lot of them dread going into hospital,and are now being royally shafted by this 'government',and I use that word advisedly.

We're supposed to be grateful for a £5 a week pay rise,that's not even an hours parking on a meter in London,or a packet of fags,or a couple of pints of beer,or for all the Daily Mail readers,it doesn't even cover a weeks worth of newspapers,it doesn't buy a lot of gas,or electricity either,how about subsidising pensioners gas and electricity costs,nah piss off,we won't be able to afford that,and give all this money to these 'poor' parents,who keep knocking out kids,knowing full well that 'the government will
pay'!
:shakefist:

**** 'em all,I'm of to the s**d,to lay under a box of vino,with my mouth open.:party:

You can always vow not to vote for them in 2015. Problem is being a pensioner you'll have forgotten about it by then.

Just had my in laws on ranting about the frozen allowances. I review and sort out their tax codes every year. Haven't paid any for 5 years and won't next year but they are too wound up by the news coverage to understand.

That said they'll still be hit by the fuel price increases. I've told them not to bother visiting if it helps :)

That's right,no tax on their state pensions,my problem is,having an missus who followed me to all those 'exotic' postings,and having kids (and looking after them),and being 'British',she didn't qualify for a full pension,so my army pension supplements her pittance,as well as my own,on that I still pay tax.

The main problem for pensioners is,they are on a fixed income,and as you say,fuel going up,gas and electricity prices fluctuating,they're on a hiding to nothing,and I dare say that the reason your in-laws were ranting,had little to do with annoyance,and a lot to do with,fear of not being able to pay bills,I now run a spreadsheet,so that I can see if,or when we are a bit,'close to the knuckle' with the monthly outgoings,which means I will remember in 2015,and they can kiss my 'arrse'.:)