The Budget

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Fablonbiffchitthe1st, Mar 21, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Well i dont make £150.000 a year so I guess I'm screwed, but theres no surprice their, labour already bent me over the table, now the Tory/Lib pact is only finishing the job.
  2. I'd like to think I'll get my Old Age Pension before I die of old age.
  3. 3P on fuel so add another 3 by the time it gets to the pump

Daft as it sounds this means I need another job closer to home .In 4 years the cost has virtually doubled for fuel ;I just wish my salary had done so but a pay freeze for 3 years means no
  4. About 10 years before you die... Assuming you're "average"... Is what's being aimed at.
  5. TheresaMay

TheresaMay LE Moderator DirtyBAT

No change for me - fuel not changing for now, alchy-hol not changing for now.

Bad news if you smoke. But then again, I'm sure next time Panorama or some other factual programme run a documentary along the lines of "14 kids and counting" we'll see everyone in the family 'struggling' on benefits, whilst all the parents and all kids over the age of 11 puff away on copious amounts of cigarettes in shot of the camera moaning about how difficult their life is having only 200 channels to watch on their shiny 50" plasma.

So us middle income types - I reckon we'll be around £200 a year better off with raising the Income Tax threshold to just over £9K, yes?

And a big thumbs-up on the 100% Council Tax relief for those that are deployed. I suppose it's the least they can do after freezing our pay and hiking up the cost of living to pay for Labour's terrible grasp of economics!
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Mr_Fingerz

Mr_Fingerz LE Book Reviewer

The fuel increase doesn't kick in until August (and there may be other pressures then that ensure that it doesn't happen).

The one to watch for is the increase on tobacco products (Cigarettes, Cigars, HRT and OST) which kicks in at 1800hrs.

If a tobacconist tries to hike his prices and tell you "it's the govt/budget innit" gently remind him that all of his stock bore duty at the previous rate and that if he tries to profiteer that you'll torch his premises.
  7. I think its bad news if you earn 60k+, own a home worth more than £2 million, smoke, drive and were hoping to retire.............just dont crack open a bottle to celebrate/commiserate as that may well get hit too.
    However, if like me, you earn 30k, own 2 cars, have sprogs, dual income, dont smoke, drink in moderation (old age you see. Cant seem to help needing a leak), are 25 years of retiring, mortgaged, your idea of a second home is the outhouse, blahblahblahblah you're quids in.......supposedly!!!!!!!!!!!

Footnote. Osborne hinted at chnages to pension rates which may well be a help yourself to Over 60s pensions/finances.
  8. As a pensioner,it ****ing sucks.

No surprise really,they've got to finance the child benefit u-turn somehow,gutless bastards,should have stuck with the lower ceiling,instead of screwing people who have paid into the system,for nearly 50 years,maybe they'll bring in free euthenasia next year! :-x
    • Like Like x 3
  9. That's me****ed then!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  10. I'm surprised they've targeted Pensioners, mind you who are the target voters come 2015? The ones who'll benefit from the initial tax relief.

Behind the scenes Labour I suspect are quite relieved the Coalition are the bad guys clearing up 'their mess' which makes the Labour party an easier voters choice in a few years.

Then arrse will debate it all over again.
  11. 37p on a packet of fags, what a ****. Anyone would think its ****ing illegal!
  12. It'll soon be cheaper to be on smack.
    • Like Like x 1
  13. I started smoking 17 years ago and fegs were £1.17 for 10 and £2.27 for 20 Lambert and Butler...... Now it'll be 7 quid odds for 20 Lambert.......

It's a ****ing joke. 17 years may seem a long time for such a rise, but when your smoking 20 a day, that's an awful lot of a rise over the years.
  14. Wife only does 10 hours a week so already has more tax allowances than she can use. Neither of us drink or smoke but we both drive, buy hot chicken from Sainsburys which will now attract VAT and I'm over the limit so lose child benefit.

Unfortunately George won't be losing my vote because the twat would never get it as long as I've got a hole in my arse anyway