The Brocken v Langeleben/Wesendorf

Discussion in 'Royal Signals' started by JT0475, Sep 11, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Those of us old and bold warriors/beer monsters (you decide) from the good old days, will recall how our friends over the wire could identify us by our morse keying, breathing, farting, whatever, from their little listening post on the Brocken.

However, since we're all 'friends' now, did anyone ever hear how their commsec chaps viewed our efforts and whether they had the same opinion of NATO EW/DF capability, following the end of chilly hostilities?

Just curious like, as it seemed to be lived and breathed during the 80's, and presumably in the 60's and 70's as well. Did anyone ever go to the site to have a nosy, once the Sov's had left?

2. PS
    Mods, feel free to move to old and bold or mil history if you feel this is more appropriate.

3. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

I was up on the Brocken when the Sovs were loading their kit into the back of trucks.

4. I spent months of my younger days in the Corps sat on top of the likes of the Ith and the Deister, pretending we were the real deal on our rebroadcast detachments. It would be fascinating to know whether or not the Soviets had the technology to "listen in" to our secure nets or not. After all, the technology wasn't so hot in those days. Did they crack it, a la Bletchley, or was their own technology incapable?

5. I heard that the only reason the Reds packed it in was because they realised that Magdaberg Annie was never going to win the lottery unless she actually bought a ticket. :)

• Like Like x 1
  6. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

A few years back I was working with an East German chap who was a tekky Unix/security guru, who learnt his trade in East Berlin.
    We did not touch specifics, but he told me over a few beers that there was very little in quality terms, but the vast quantity of information and the analyses resourcing was good for forming an intel picture.

Given that they would have deployed a sledgehammer approach, I doubt they were too fussed about ID'ing Sig Smith by his voice procedure anomalies, and tracking his wereabouts in the world.....

7. Opsec!
    Seriously, thanks for that bit of info. I believe they would have also employed the sledgehammer approach if hostilities had ever broken out, by carpet-bombing all the high ground in West Germany prior to crossing the IGB. Thanks goodness we never found out the hard way.

8. I read somewhere that teh Russian Intel lot used to use an old system of exploiting intelligence... to the point that htey used pins and not staples to join sheefs of paper (so taht more could be added).

Worth noting that a British Y service chappy in WW2 pushed up the CoC that there was a 'fist' (a known morse keyer to him) in the area of Arnhem and that this 'fist' had been identfied as belonging to a Panzer Div HQ...