The Broad Arrow mark

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by General Melchett, Apr 18, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. General Melchett

General Melchett LE Moderator

The Broad Arrow, Crow's Foot, WD acceptance mark etc etc.

Is it stil used to mark present day issued kit?

The most recent thing I've seen was dated 1996 and couldn't find it on anything later.

2. Yup. Got it on my issue SOG EOD tool. Issued on Herrick 12. It's there right next to the US NSN.

3. It's also on a number of prison issue stuff.

4. General Melchett

Present day items or historical?

5. General Melchett

Yes, come to think of it that's where I've seen it too. Marked /l\ UTD by any chance?

6. Was certainly on some things up to me leaving about 7 or 8 years ago.

7. General Melchett

Ah, doing time. I won't ask. The Broad Arrow is still on some kit in service today but I was wondering if it's still a requirement for kit to be marked with it or something contractors put on because they always have done and continue to do so without questioning it.

8. Bang on. 5110015666638 /|\ UTD09

9. I'm sure it was called a crowsfoot mark but I can't find much on google - it comes back here.

10. The Broad Arrow of Sydney - it should be stamped on Military Issue kit still; isn't it? Viscount Sydney, Earl of Romney, was the master- general of the Ordnance from 1693 to 1702 and the Pheon was part of his armorial bearings.

Edited to add: It's on the back of my G1098 watch - just checked!

11. General Melchett

12. General Melchett

It may well be on your watch but I was curious as to if it's still marked on kit. The SOG tool seems the most recent with a 2009 date, although I'd reckon those are a UOR type of buy. What does the UTD stand for I wonder.

13. General Melchett

14. It should be stamped on local purchase equipment such as tools etc. The QM should carry stamps to stamp it in with.