The Broad Arrow mark

The Broad Arrow, Crow's Foot, WD acceptance mark etc etc.

Is it stil used to mark present day issued kit?

The most recent thing I've seen was dated 1996 and couldn't find it on anything later.

The Broad Arrow, Crow's Foot, WD acceptance mark etc etc.

Is it stil used to mark present day issued kit?

The most recent thing I've seen was dated 1996 and couldn't find it on anything later.
Yup. Got it on my issue SOG EOD tool. Issued on Herrick 12. It's there right next to the US NSN.

Yup. Got it on my issue SOG EOD tool. Issued on Herrick 12. It's there right next to the US NSN.
Yes, come to think of it that's where I've seen it too. Marked /l\ UTD by any chance?

Ah, doing time. I won't ask. The Broad Arrow is still on some kit in service today but I was wondering if it's still a requirement for kit to be marked with it or something contractors put on because they always have done and continue to do so without questioning it.

jarrod248

LE
Gallery Guru
Ah, doing time. I won't ask. The Broad Arrow is still on some kit in service today but I was wondering if it's still a requirement for kit to be marked with it or something contractors put on because they always have done and continue to do so without questioning it.
I'm sure it was called a crowsfoot mark but I can't find much on google - it comes back here.

The Broad Arrow of Sydney - it should be stamped on Military Issue kit still; isn't it? Viscount Sydney, Earl of Romney, was the master- general of the Ordnance from 1693 to 1702 and the Pheon was part of his armorial bearings.

Edited to add: It's on the back of my G1098 watch - just checked!

It may well be on your watch but I was curious as to if it's still marked on kit. The SOG tool seems the most recent with a 2009 date, although I'd reckon those are a UOR type of buy. What does the UTD stand for I wonder.

Interesting topic.

"Similar to hallmarks, it is currently a criminal offence to reproduce the broad arrow without authority. The Embezzlement of Public Stores Act 1698 in clause 41 makes it illegal to use the "broad arrow / King's mark" on any goods not for His Majesty's government's use."

Not a good idea to get it tattooed then....but jesting aside it would make a good tee shirt design.

It may well be on your watch but I was curious as to if it's still marked on kit. The SOG tool seems the most recent with a 2009 date, although I'd reckon those are a UOR type of buy. What does the UTD stand for I wonder.
UTD = United Tool distribution they are a company in Manchester that has the contract for MOD tool distribution,,,,,,no shit

UTD = United Tool distribution they are a company in Manchester that has the contract for MOD tool distribution,,,,,,no shit
I believe you (although the fact it's in Manchester and UTD thousands wouldn't). It would make sense if they have procured SOGs from the US for UK use. Just dug out mine, it's not really a /|\ UTD 09 more of a /\ UTD 09.

UTD, Stretford, Manchester, M32 0NB.