The British Military Tournament 2010, Earls Court

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by Bumper, Jun 11, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. [​IMG]

It's back, in reduced form but back nonetheless.

"The RoyalTournament.org team is delighted to announce The British Military Tournament,which will be presented by ABF The Soldiers’ Charity and will bring together all the best elements of the world famous Royal Tournament, incorporating them into a new show for the 21st century. The Tournament will take place on Saturday 4 and Sunday 5 December at Earls Court with two performances on each day. The event will raise funds for ABF The Soldiers’ Charity.

THE PROGRAMME INCLUDES:

500 TROOPS

145 HORSES

MASSED BANDS

WELLINGTON COLLEGE FIELD GUN COMPETITION

NARRATION BY ANTHONY ANDREWS WITH CONTRIBUTIONS FROM STEPHEN FRY, JOANNA LUMLEY AND DAME JUDI DENCH

AND MUCH MORE……

The British Military Tournament 2010 will celebrate the 350 th Anniversary of the formation of the Household Cavalry and the 150 th Anniversaries of the Army Physical Training Corps and the Cadet movement.

The RoyalTournament.org team has been closely involved in the British Military Tournament project and has been advising the Army Benevolent Fund on many aspects of the project for 18 months."

2. Now noted in my diary. thanks

3. That'll be just the two of us there then.......

4. Can I come? Innitt

5. I'll be going - went every year when it was the Royal Tournament - it used to be the highlight of the year as a child. I still remember diverting via the stables in the car park on the way home and watching the farriers re-shoeing horses.

6. This is good news! I shall endeavour to see you all there!

7. I will only come if someone can sell me some Osprey and lots of guns 'n' ammo, pleeeeaaassse!

8. The Telegraph have an article on the return of the Royal Tournament (albeit without 'Royal' at the moment, as Royal patronage has not yet been given):

Telegraph Article

I was a bit worried about this bit, though:

"All the costs will be borne by the charity, rather than the MoD.
    The event is costing £1 million to organise and if the charity sell out all 55,520 tickets – from £22 for children and £29 for adults – for the four shows, they hope to make a profit of between £200,000 and £300,000."

I suppose a 20-30% return is not bad, but is a bit of a gamble if they don't sell all the tickets. At £102 for a family of 4 (assuming there isn't a 'family ticket), I hope it won't deter too many people from going. If it is a success this year, hopefully more sponsors will come out and support the event, allowing it to expand but keeping ticket costs down.

I remember that my mother used to buy tickets 'in the Gods' to keep costs down - we were so high, we were virtually on a level with the Marines preparing to fast-rope down. But even that was great - being a little kid and allowed to barrel down what seemed like 30 flights of stairs to go and see all the displays down in the main halls (having promised that you could remember where our seats were)! Ah....jumpers for goalposts...

9. blue-sophist

blue-sophist LE Good Egg (charities)

You could always take a Bear to boost the crowd!! :D

10. I think the main challenge will be 'tone.' One of the reasons the RT's faded as a true spectacular were the fact that the programme began to fill up with second tier acts and faux celebs that just made the thing seem a bit seedy and infra dig. RT's were something of a relic of LonDist's belief that nothing of significance occurred or could be arranged outside the M25.

One hopes that as this is now seeking to make a profit and therefore charging what seems like a rather hefty attendance fee it will be impressive from curtain up to curtain down.

Fingers crossed, however I maintain that indoor events to trail the MoD are rather challenging these days given the size of the kit and its natural habitat. Purely personally I think that the Army should blister onto mega-events like RIAT and Navy Days and make such events a bit more Tri-Service (they already are, really).

11. Somehow.... I have a warm and fuzzy feeling that we'll have a bear there

12. Jet from Gladiators said I was 'cute' at Earl's Court once, I giggled to my mate like a girl and w*nked myself into a shimmering haze for the next couple of weeks

13. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

I hope they do fill all the seats, but also I hope that they strike some sort of TV deal to show over the Festiver period for those of us that find London a bit far away. That, and the sale of DVDs, should increase profits.

14. Did massed Bands at Earls Court twice, hope it goes well in the new format