Discussion in 'Charities and Welfare' started by saztaffy, Jun 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. [align=justify] :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x

The Legion is there to help veterans and thier families

That statement is so wrong.

This is a story of one veteran who suffers Complex Combat related PTSD, other illnesses and is totally unable to use any form of public transport-

His car blow up 2 weeks ago on his way home ,which sent him straight back to NI in a Flashback so anyway he got the car recovered to his property then later to the garage for insurance assesment. Then to be told the car is a Total Loss. The insurance company then tells him that they are not paying out as it is a mechanical failure.
    He is on a limited income as he is unable to work and the War Pensions & DLA are sorting out his allowances, so he contacts the RBL for some finacial support, so he can get a car ( not a new one) as his wife is also disabled and does not get the higher rate mobility either.
    Anyway this Morning he has been told by the Norfolk branch of the British Legion NO !NOT A CHANCE !. This is because they only help with deposits for mobility cars, and if anything goes wrong with the car they may by liable, What a pile of tosh as they would have only funded the car and not chosen and if anybody would have been liable it would have been the Sales garage. So this Veteran is now crawling the walls with anger, upset , lost and feeling let down. To make matters worse his whole Family are members of the legion.
    He was going to Combat Stress in July but that will probably change now as he has to car share so the dates obviously have to match up.
    So that is his Story
    I do hope that they bother to visit him if he ends up being sectioned for his own safety. But that would mean that it would cost them time and money, so I couldn't see it happening either.

Thank you for taking the time to read this and I hope that someone can offer some advice to help this Vet

2. oldbaldy

oldbaldy LE Moderator Good Egg (charities)
    1. Battlefield Tours

Was his Regt Association approached by TRBL?
    Was he turned down by the County Office or just by the local branch?
  3. go right to county... this would have been looked at by the branch.. there funds are very tight as there only allowed so much a year..however it seems odd that branch did not put the gent right if they alone could not..
  4. Thanks for your replies

It was at county level, but they are getting a new field officer in July,
    He has also phoned ABF, but the chap he needs to speak to is on leave till the end of the wk.
    I will tell him to ring his Corps Ass as well. :idea:

If you have anymore Ideas please let me know

Saztaffy :boogie:
  5. You say Corps in your last post. But on the off chance he was Royal Anglian, please let me know by PM ASP
  6. oldbaldy

oldbaldy LE Moderator Good Egg (charities)
    1. Battlefield Tours

The ABF would pass it to his Corps Association in the first instance.
    The Corps would get either TRBL or SSAFA to do the casework for them.
    As TRBL have for some reason bombed him out I suggest a call to SSAFA Norfolk,:
    Tel: (01603) 403322, with ansafone

Office Hours: Tues & Thurs, 9.00am – 12.30pm
  7. The Royal British Legion has various processes and checks in place to ensure that its charitable funds are used to best effect. Members of the public who donate to the Poppy Appeal each November expect and deserve no less. Whilst it is completely inappropriate to go into the specifics of the case mentioned, if a grant has not been made then there will be a valid reason for this. This does not mean that other areas of Legion assistance are unavailable if there is a NEED. The Norfolk County Field Office is in contact with the individual on an onging basis and would like to encourage any other serving or ex Service person or their dependants in the area who feel they may need assistance from The Royal British Legion to please contact the office on 01328 864543.
  8. So he doesn't need one then?
    That's not what saztaffy thinks.
    So who is right?

9. Hi, No he isn't sorry he is a Medic. I take it your Anglian

10. No there is no reason except for what I had already stated, Is was a Blantant No, They have not even recieved the paper work so they can access the case yet. So they haven't even tried other organizations for funding yet.

11. Ord_Sgt

Ord_Sgt RIP

saz, what was the reason they gave for not being able to help? In your first post you said they couldn't help other than with mobility vehicles and that they may be liable if theres a problem with the car. If true methinks RBLNorfolk has his own agenda and you should bump this up to the national office and appeal the decision.

RBL is there to help and if its not helping 'because they might be liable' a change of leadership at county level is required I would think. I do know there are issues in places with some older members who don't think theres been any 'real. wars since WW2 and are letting more recent veterans down badly, is this the case here do you think? Old soldiers can still be w@nkers.
  12. cpunk

cpunk LE Moderator

This is not an issue which is going to be resolved by necessarily ill-informed speculation on Arrse, however well-intended. Thread locked.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.