The British Issue GPMG

ugly

LE
misterp said:
One thing I have seen with the American version of the GPMG is the heat sheild for the barrel which is a good idea ( I always use to wear gloves on the Gimpy to be on the safe side) or is it ? Would this new modification hamper a " barrel change" giving away vital seconds ?
Code:
[i][b]i agree the gpmg is fantastic bit of kit. shame it takes so long to clean and doesn't work well with blank. [/b][/i]

seems like a good idea but im sure it would get in the way. i dont think it is a good idea, as it means there will be less people to take the urine out of when they pick up a "warm" barrel with bare hands![/quote]
I never had any dramas with the GPMG on blank provided the feed tray adaptor thingy was fitted.

baboon6 said:
How big is the Dutch TA?
It's quite small compared to that of the British army, only 3.000 troops.

ugly

LE
Is that an imposed limit or just lack of recruits, I can see a waiting list to join scenario!

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
They only take Dutch nationals, no-one from former colonies.
Possibly still smarting from when the South Moluccans asked a train driver to take them to Cuba in '77.

(For those that don't know, a dozen or so South Moluccan terrs hijacked a train & after about three weeks the chuffer was stormed by the Cloggie Booties)

misterp said:
i agree the gpmg is fantastic bit of kit. shame it takes so long to clean and doesn't work well with blank.
Never had a problem with live or blank in over 20 years of using it, remember that the unit armourer is your very best friend and needs to be liberally lubricated at every opportunity with fine ales and wines.

Cleaning them is a team event, but once you get the hang of it it does not take that long and it's well worth the effort.

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
Cloggie said:
Cutaway, it indeed is the MAG (Belgian made). The GPMG is the same weapon,only license-build in the UK if i'm correct?
There are a few differences, (eg. synthetic stock and lack of Stellite bbl liner,) but mechanically the most important is the gas regulator, seven settings on the L7 and only three on the MAG.
This enables the wpn to be balanced, (not carried out on the MAG,) a very important part of Prep for Battle and sadly often overlooked these days.
See here.

Cutaway said:
Cloggie said:
Cutaway, it indeed is the MAG (Belgian made). The GPMG is the same weapon,only license-build in the UK if i'm correct?
There are a few differences, (eg. synthetic stock and lack of Stellite bbl liner,) but mechanically the most important is the gas regulator, seven settings on the L7 and only three on the MAG.
This enables the wpn to be balanced, (not carried out on the MAG,) a very important part of Prep for Battle and sadly often overlooked these days.
See here.
Thanks for the info on that Cuts. Our MAGs often had gas regulating difficulties,especially when firing blanks,causing stoppages.

cdn_spr

War Hero
baboon6 said:
cdn_spr said:
sixty_three said:
The yanks love it and have now issued the GPMG to their Helicopter fleets with spade grips as a modification.
don't forget the Canadians have been using it for probably as long as the brits as well, having bought it along with the FN (SLR).

They have also modified a load with spade grips to use as top cover on the armoured G-Wagen...see the first pic in this slideshow for an example

http://www.cbc.ca/news/photogalleries/afghanistan_kandahar/kandahar1.html?gallery=kandahar1
The Canadian Forces did not get the MAG58/GPMG/C6 when they got their FN FALs in the mid 1950s-because it was not around yet (the 58 gives it away and it entered fron line service in some armies just after. AFAIK first combat use was by Belgian Paras in Congo 1964). Instead as said below Browning M1919s were converted to 7.62 known as C1/C5. The first C6s were those used on Leopard tanks from the late 1970s. The infantry version was only procured when the C7 (M16) and C9 (Minimi) replaced the C1 (SLR) and C2 (heavy-barrel FAL) in the mid/late 1980s.

There was a thread on this on army.ca recently where I got this info from.
I stand corrected! :thumright: was only assuming based on old photos of my stepdad

spike7451

RIP
RIP
Cutaway said:
Cloggie said:
See here.
We used to take he Gimpy's down the range after servicing & balance them!We used them on the Scimitar & Spartan in EOD.

woody

LE
Our gpmgs vary in reliability but then its probably the gun that worked flawlessly in 87 88 is the same one thats a bit tempremental now.
Killed one at camp last year it was manfactured in 68 though think it was the oc and the rsm giving it the old 100rd bursts well no ones going to stop them are they :mrgreen: ?

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
woody said:
Our gpmgs vary in reliability but then its probably the gun that worked flawlessly in 87 88 is the same one thats a bit tempremental now.
Killed one at camp last year it was manfactured in 68 though think it was the oc and the rsm giving it the old 100rd bursts well no ones going to stop them are they :mrgreen: ?
Don't think there'll be many LSW's still going after 38 years after firing a similar amount of rds !
Had this GPMG been balanced to the bbls prior to firing ?

ugly

LE
Agreed with a balanced gun as taught in trg it stopped the MG42 ripping noise and also the damage to the feed tray chute from the camming stud.

woody

LE
Balanced and mucked around by armourer daily .Main body cracked so think its just age .Nothing wrong with weapon design just things wear out
Hopefully the guys on ops get newer guns .

BaldricksBullet said:
Agreed... the Jimpy was a battle winner... it could even raize light buildings to the ground.
Still is a battle winner and still burns down buildings. Just ask Sangin residents! I think Para Regt went the right way binning LSW altogether and opting for GPMG instead.

Regiment646

Old-Salt
Here in Israel we call it a MAG and the bloke carrying/shooting it a "Magist"
The 5.56 Negev has replaced most but not all the use of Mag's in a Infantry Company, We still have one or two per Company for heavy support.
How come Assault Ammo bag's are not used ?,They have been used here for at least 35 years and a "magist " that carried belts of ammo around
his neck would get in Big trouble.
Yours
Reg646

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
Regiment646 said:

How come Assault Ammo bag's are not used ?,They have been used here for at least 35 years and a "magist " that carried belts of ammo around
his neck would get in Big trouble.

Good question, I always thought they were the mutt's for patrolling - the link stays clean, cammed and silent.
The ones I've used were of a vinyl or Butyl laminate material, so were light years ahead of the metal boxes that dig into your body when carrying the gun.

Oh, Ive just realised why the Brit Army doesn't have belt bags, there's 'no foreseeable need' for them in a procurement office.

Fallschirmjager said:
BaldricksBullet said:
Agreed... the Jimpy was a battle winner... it could even raize light buildings to the ground.
Still is a battle winner and still burns down buildings. Just ask Sangin residents! I think Para Regt went the right way binning LSW altogether and opting for GPMG instead.
What about Minimi? Don't rifle sections have it? Who has the GPMGs now? What I mean is are they at platoon level again or just in Support Coy?

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer
The 50 rd box mag for GPMG is readily available from the system, and works reliably. The rounds do rattle around in the box though, so for that stealthy touch, you can make "bullet bags" by cutting the catches off old box mags and rivetting them to a 44 Pattern water bottle pouch(with the bunny ears cut off). This will also work reliably, and will hold about 60-70 rounds if memory serves.

Latest Threads