The British Government. What a bunch of Cnuts. 2000 Chinese sailors who served Britain forcibly deported after the war.

I’m fed up with all this apologising for and condemning our forefathers actions. It was different times and a completely different World back then.
Are you equally fed up with celebrating and commemorating them, or is that an entirely different set of different times and world?

Are you equally fed up with celebrating and commemorating them, or is that an entirely different set of different times and world?
Where did I say I was celebrating? I’m proud to be English/British and I won’t apologise for that, despite the wailing of others.

Where did I say I was celebrating?
I presumed you'd be celebrating e.g. VE Day and observing Regimental Days or your branch's equivalent.

Those are way in the past, too, and you weren't involved personally.

Many Chinese seamen married local girls raised families etc. Then one day, they were gone.
That sounds like the first day of filming 'Inn of the Sixth Happiness' when most of Liverpool's Chinatown deserted the city in order to become extras in the outside scenes filmed in Snodonia.

Joshua Slocum

LE
Book Reviewer
When they made the film, the inn of the sixth happiness with Ingred Bergman, ( in Snowdonia National Park and Potrmeiron) they hired hundreds of Chinese Children from Liverpool, ( home to one of the oldest Chinese Communities in Europe)
trouble was, they had never worn traditional Chinese Clothing, and spoke Scouse

In addition to Snowdonia, the railway scenes of 'Inn' were shot at Longmoor Military Railway.
Despite the shortage of Chinese in Hampshire, The British Army was able, as usual, to improvise.

That sounds like the first day of filming 'Inn of the Sixth Happiness' when most of Liverpool's Chinatown deserted the city in order to become extras in the outside scenes filmed in Snodonia.
Friend of mine was on that gig, well known Liverpool family, brother was an actor,;The Chinese Detective'

Friend of mine was on that gig, well known Liverpool family, brother was an actor,;The Chinese Detective'
I recall him from the series - last time I saw him on the screen was a Indiana Jones (or type) film. Hope his career continued to flourish.

My wife and I met a couple who were fellow guests at a party in London once, the wife was second generation Liverpool Chinese. A personable lady with a good (as to be expected from a Scouse), sense of humour ("My dad had a laundry, would you believe?") Her accent was quite Liverpool, ie broader than Edwina Curry- nearer to the young Cilla. She was good company and a delightful lady.
Oddly enough, I came away with the impression that, while she was most secure in who she was, her British non-Scouse husband, from his conversation seemed a bit hung up on the fact that he was in a mixed marriage whereas most outsiders would hardly have given it a thought- we didn't.
Odd as it's not normally something that a person would wear on their sleeve whatever the extra dimensions such a situation might bring.

maritime

Old-Salt
One brother works for ambulance service NHS, another Merseyside police, another one head of a local charity for over 45 years recieved MBE,freedom of city. Like others, have contributed to society.

One brother works for ambulance service NHS, another Merseyside police, another one head of a local charity for over 45 years recieved MBE,freedom of city. Like others, have contributed to society.
One stood as mayor a few months ago, independent.Considering he had no backing, got a respectable vote.Has run a charity for kids for many years now, KIND. My mate, remember him taking the floor at strike meeting during prolonged strike at Triumphs which led to it's closure and redundancy, he tore the Strike Committee to shreds. Met up with him again ' on the buses' Good mate for many years, sensible union man.

Ursus Major

Old-Salt
My dear old Ma was an extra on that one, (non Chinese scouse schoolgirl)

Anyone who had a posting to Hong Kong and came across the local HK Chinese soldiers of the HKMSC and the local Chinese Ratings from the RN Patrol Squadron knew that excellent blokes that they were.

I recall him from the series - last time I saw him on the screen was a Indiana Jones (or type) film. Hope his career continued to flourish.
He seems to have had a steady career, mostly on TV.

Interestingly, his character name from the Indiana Jones film was Wu Han.
For the love of Zeus don't tell ipso-facto or it'll start linking it to some Covid conspiracy malarkey.

Nemesis44UK

LE
Book Reviewer
I think that the British Government should do what it can to right this wrong, at the very least, apologise. Those men were serving us, as were the Indians and tons of other commonwealth countries and all of them should be recognised for their sacrifice.

On the other hand, I'm really fed up with the likes of the Grauniad constantly beating us to death with our historic wrongs. I really would love to send all these newspaper editors (and Owen Jones) on a world tour, starting with Saudi Arabia, taking in the lovely sights in Afghanistan, Syria, Russia and Somalia.

Once they've had a couple of liveners, they can then come back to Blighty (maybe) so they realise that the UK is not actually the seventh level of Hell and gain some perspective.