The British Government. What a bunch of Cnuts. 2000 Chinese sailors who served Britain forcibly deported after the war.

I think the Guardian's accusations of racism may be too simplistic. They could just be going for the bold head lines. There was a Chinese community in the UK before WW2 with the biggest probably being in Liverpool. They mainly ran all the laundries until the sixties until they found out that running take-aways was far easier.

As pointed out, many of them were citizens of China not British subjects and might have wanted to go home. There ,may have been a small subversive element amongst them (communists) that the government wanted to get rid off. Chinese immigrants to Singapore and Malaya who were subversive were deported to China by the British Colonial administration.

Many of the Chinese population of Singapore and Malaya fought with the British. After the fall of Hong Kong a number of Chinese members of the HKVDF and Royal Engineers managed to escape and made there way to India. They joined up with Mike Calvert who knew many of them from when he was stationed in HK with the RE before the war. They subsequently fought with him on both Chindit expeditions.

The Chinese from HK and Singapore manned the laundries of RN ships and many of them died in all theatre's of the war at sea. There were RFA's manned by Chinese sailors from HK including the Sir Galahad and the Sir Tristam. One of them Chiu Yiu Nam was awarded the George Medal for saving ten Welsh Guardsmen during the Falklands war.

Chiu Yiu Nam citation.

Chinese servicemen and Merchant sailors would have been British subjects and would have no problem staying in the UK if they wanted to. It might have been different for Citizens of the Republic of China.

One Singaporean Chinese pilot fought in the Battle of Britain and was MIA over the channel in 1942. Wing Commander Tan Kay Hai DFC flew Typhoons in Normandy until shot down and sent to a POW camp in Poland where he managed to escape after the war.

Lim Kim Hock was a Chinese merchant sailor from Singapore. In 1939 he was in Britain when war was declared. He thought it might be safer to return to Singapore but decided not to do so.

I thought that I would be abandoning the merchant navy when it needed people like me the most. We were civilians, but we were also important for the war effort… Without us, Britain would be defeated. If I could do something about it, then I had to. So I stayed.

He served on Atlantic convoys all through the height of the U Boat peril.After the war he married and settled down in Liverpool. For his story see page 6 of the linked PDF.

The Chinese of Singapore and their Imperial WW2 story.

Also 22.16 of the attached video.

They weren't here illegally. They were recruited from China specifically to help the war effort and then treated disgracefully when the war was over.

Sounds like the BBC are being a bit elusive with the facts, Shanghai was under Japanese control for 1937, they were probably hired because they were cheap.

Chef

LE
The allies refused to hand over any of the soldiers it had captured from the Latvian and Estonian SS Divisions. Principally the soldiers of the 15th Latvian SS Division who managed to surrender to the Allies in the West. The Allies refused to hand them over as it didn't regard them as Soviet citizens as the USSR had annexed the Baltic Stated in 1940 as part of the Soviet Union. This was not recognised by the Allies. Many of them acted as guards at the Nuremberg trials.
Are you sure about that? I thought the Americans provided most of the guards at Nuremberg.

Did the Russians really have tolerated ex SS soldiers parading with their former enemies during the trials. Let alone the security risk of having known SS men running about the gaff.

Are you sure about that? I thought the Americans provided most of the guards at Nuremberg.

Did the Russians really have tolerated ex SS soldiers parading with their former enemies during the trials. Let alone the security risk of having known SS men running about the gaff.

Most of the Hiwis volunteered

Its my understandingthat whilst some volunteered (mainly to avoid starving to death in the camps) most however were simply collected from the camps

It is possible that how the term Hiwi has been applied / how some who were dragged off as slave labour were later incorporated as Hiwis has muddled figures.

As such im not disputing your claim so much as highlighting other sources suggest differrent

and were treated more or less as equals even in Waffen SS Panzer Divisions.
Ive read treatment could be rather mixed - (ignoring again slave labour dragged from POW camps to haul / move guns, carts etc ) - combat formations seem to have treated them better - possibly because as time went on they were required to make up numbers in the line - I imagine relying on the man next to you tends to discourage misstreatment.

When the Soviets started liberating Russian POW camp's in 1945 most of the inhabitants were shipped off to the Gulags as the Soviet's thought they had been contaminated by exposure to the west. I remember watching one programme where they were interviewing a Soviet bomber pilot who had been shot down and captured by the west. He was sent to Siberia because he had allowed himself to be captured. He said that he had been treated far better by the Germans than he had by his own people.

I think so great was Stalins paranoia - that he even disowned his son -
I dont recall if it was for being captured or followng courtsmarshall for cowardice / betraying the Rodina - something along those lines.
Having been shot down and landed (or thought he had) on the wrong side of the front line - he promptly destroyed his party credentials - this was the act that landed him in hot water.

Since everyone was told that the Germans would execute communists on capture - his actions made sense to everyone except the politicos

All my life I have wondered about the Chinese.
There are thousands of takeaways staffed by at least a dozen family members who are never seen ( all their trade is done through a hatch) are they all just waiting for the word to take over from Beijing before the muslims get the place.
They always believed in playing the 'long game'

All my life I have wondered about the Chinese.
There are thousands of takeaways staffed by at least a dozen family members who are never seen ( all their trade is done through a hatch) are they all just waiting for the word to take over from Beijing before the muslims get the place.
They always believed in playing the 'long game'
Most of the take aways in the HK are staffed by people from Hong Kong. Malaysian and Singaporean Chinese are a lot better educated speaking English as a first language in many cases and tend to be Doctors, Nurses, Consultants etc.

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
Just in case no one has said it allow me.
I will apologise on behalf of all of us for the outrage caused even though I and many others had feck all to do with it.
Now let that be the end of it.

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
Just in case no one has said it allow me.
I will apologise on behalf of all of us for the outrage caused even though I and many others had feck all to do with it.
Now let that be the end of it.

While we were stationed in West Malaysia, a lot of the guys married Chinese girls ( and why not?)
However, collectively they were referred to as 'The Fifth Column'

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer

Ursus Major

Old-Salt
Regarding the Cossacks, they never were Soviet citizens as they were White Russians who left Russia at the revolution and mostly settled in Yugoslavia.

Many Chinese seamen married local girls raised families etc. Then one day, they were gone.Not very nice, to say the least......at least we have a great Chines Arch here,
P1110941.JPG

Latest Threads