• This is a stand-to for an incoming competition, one of our most expensive yet.
    Later this week we're going to be offering the opportunity to Win £270 Rab Neutrino Pro military down jacket
    Visit the thread at that link above and Watch it to be notified as soon as the competition goes live

The briefing before take off is for you security?

Recent genuine evacuations have been hampered by passengers opening the lockers to take their belongings causing a possible fatal delay. Aircraft should be required to fit central locking to the lockers to prevent this. I appreciate the airlines will grumble at the extra weight, but it may save lives.
What really amazed me was video of the passengers on the US Airways plane that ditched in the Hudson river in NY City. I saw people with suitcases and briefcases standing on the wings and on the evacuation slides/floats.

Wheres our resident skygods @Toastie @Converted_lurker anyway?
Overwhelmed with indifference, studying hard for my next sim check which oddly enough will certainly include an engine failure of some sort. There are certain NNCs (Non Normal Checklists - emergency things) that we are required to memorise; Engine Severe Damage and Loss Of Cabin Pressure are two of them.

So, the sequence of events as assumed by me:

Bang (N1 / N2 zero + vibration = severe damage) almost certainly coincident with a loud horn = loss of cabin pressure.

Loss of cabin pressure NNC as this is the priority, item 1 being pilots put mask on otherwise its Endex for all.

Eng Severe Damage NNC which mandates Land at nearest Suitable Airport.

Philadelphia looks good. Advise ATC of intentions, quick brief, land.

Discharge responsibilities to pax and crew welfare.

(Optional: if you have ovaries assume Godlike Status and standby for invite to appear on Oprah)

Go home, drink beer, await inquiry.

Oddly enough, it appears that’s exactly what happened and exactly what will happen in the sim next week. Nothing to see, move along.

Pilots, paid for what they can do, not what they do routinely. And of couse Adonis like, hung like a cart horse (optional, see above), able to walk on water and above all modest.

Pilots, paid for what they can do, not what they do routinely. And of couse Adonis like, hung like a cart horse (optional, see above), able to land on water and above all modest.
With a nod to Sully...

You f**ker! Beat me to it!
I'd at least have expected him to berate you for ignoring safety briefs. I feel short-changed...he'll never be accepted on Pprune with an attitude like that!

I remember seeing a clip on YouTube a few years ago that someone had filmed of their US airline flight briefing, where the commentary was quite off-the-wall, funny and most definitely did not follow the script but I can't find it right now.

I remember seeing a clip on YouTube a few years ago that someone had filmed of their US airline flight briefing, where the commentary was quite off-the-wall, funny and most definitely did not follow the script but I can't find it right now.
If it is the one of the very very campy gay flight attendant it is hilarious. I have been looking for that one for this thread.

I once saw another one with: "Please fasten your seat belt. For those of you who have not ridden in an automobile since 1964 you fasten it by ... "

If it is the one of the very very campy gay flight attendant it is hilarious. I have been looking for that one for this thread.

I once saw another one with: "Please fasten your seat belt. For those of you who have not ridden in an automobile since 1964 you fasten it by ... "
You might be surprised (or probably not) by how many people try to push on the seatbelt buckle expecting it to open like a car seatbelt. When it’s an average day it’s a ‘duh’ moment and rectified in a moment. Add some stress (i.e. me roaring through a bullhorn in the darkened cabin sim with a bit of smoke and waving my big stick at them) and it all turns to poo. At least the first time.

Or it used to. I don’t work on that side of the house these days.

Just a shame they didn't have an air traffic controller to hand...
Ah ah ah! You know the similarity between a pilot and an Air Traffic Controller? If a pilot makes a mistake the pilot dies. If an ATCO makes a mistake the pilot dies ;-)

What really amazed me was video of the passengers on the US Airways plane that ditched in the Hudson river in NY City. I saw people with suitcases and briefcases standing on the wings and on the evacuation slides/floats.
Well there was no baggage carousel out there FFS!

Rings a bell.

Latest Threads