Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

The Brexit Consequences Thread

Are you saying that the Laws of this country and political thinking and policy making has not been influenced, indeed dictated in part, by the EU?

What planet have you been on, especially in the last couple of decades?
No I'm not what a bizarre question, the UK has been central to the development of EU regulations and policy that it has then implemented!

The implementation however is the sole responsibility of the UK government, other MS seem to manage OK!

No I'm not what a bizarre question, the UK has been central to the development of EU regulations and policy that it has then implemented!

The implementation however is the sole responsibility of the UK government, other MS seem to manage OK!
Do they, all of them? A bit of a sweeping statement to say that such a diverse group of countries and cultures manage change as dictated by the EU in such an off-handed way. Just look at the stories coming out of Italy, Spain, Austria, Poland and others to see the issues are not universally welcome.

I'm afraid you are succumbing to the EU propaganda that Brussels is right in all matters, deviation from the Borg will not be tolerated! :p

There are no two positions here! Implementation of national policy is a responsibility of nthe UK government. Implying fault in the EU is ridiculous!

I havent "conveniently" forgotten anything, both main parties share responsibility for this balls-up!

No it's not- the implementation of EU policy is what the EU demands of the nations within it, they are, if you like an internationally agreed norm; that means that in reality these things should be harmonised, between all 28 member states. This has failed to happen. Now the EU has policy of animal products but it seems that in breach it's possible for misdescribed fake fur to reach the markets. The reason- no checks carried out in contravention of WTO rules ( a credible customs organisation). Misdescription is in it's fullest sense, a criminal offence. So since the EU controls trade, TFEU it's down to the EU who have no means of carrying out their function. Oh dear!!!! The Goods came in from China!!. Where were the checks carried out as first port of entry into the EU?-probably not even examined. But remember your criticising both parties "for being good Europeans." The argument falls somewhat flat when the counter argument is to take back control at borders.
But in my book there is a basic difference between connivance (Labour) and having your hands tied(Tory)

Little snippet from the Express last week. HO figures 10,129 due to be deported between Jan 2016 and May this Year. 6,237 taken off flights on last minute appeals and court injunctions. Cost per passenger £5,209 per passenger.
Total cost (my calc £32,488,533) or 16.25 Million per financial year, because of misapplication of the EU HR.
You just try getting Legal aid on a minimum wage to fight a bank for subsequent illegal actions in civil court on potentialy criminal matter because the state can't be bothered to implement the consumer right under art 7 or 8 ( right to enjoy property.) Mainly because internal Policy dictates whether the plod investigates unless directed by DPP.

Do they, all of them? A bit of a sweeping statement to say that such a diverse group of countries and cultures manage change as dictated by the EU in such an off-handed way. Just look at the stories coming out of Italy, Spain, Austria, Poland and others to see the issues are not universally welcome.

I'm afraid you are succumbing to the EU propaganda that Brussels is right in all matters, deviation from the Borg will not be tolerated! :p
Certainly better than the balls-up that the UK has managed to make of things!

Strawman argument yet again!

No it's not- the implementation of EU policy is what the EU demands of the nations within it, they are, if you like an internationally agreed norm; that means that in reality these things should be harmonised, between all 28 member states. This has failed to happen. Now the EU has policy of animal products but it seems that in breach it's possible for misdescribed fake fur to reach the markets. The reason- no checks carried out in contravention of WTO rules ( a credible customs organisation). Misdescription is in it's fullest sense, a criminal offence. So since the EU controls trade, TFEU it's down to the EU who have no means of carrying out their function. Oh dear!!!! The Goods came in from China!!. Where were the checks carried out as first port of entry into the EU?-probably not even examined. But remember your criticising both parties "for being good Europeans." The argument falls somewhat flat when the counter argument is to take back control at borders.
But in my book there is a basic difference between connivance (Labour) and having your hands tied(Tory)

Little snippet from the Express last week. HO figures 10,129 due to be deported between Jan 2016 and May this Year. 6,237 taken off flights on last minute appeals and court injunctions. Cost per passenger £5,209 per passenger.
Total cost (my calc £32,488,533) or 16.25 Million per financial year, because of misapplication of the EU HR.
You just try getting Legal aid on a minimum wage to fight a bank for subsequent illegal actions in civil court on potentialy criminal matter because the state can't be bothered to implement the consumer right under art 7 or 8 ( right to enjoy property.) Mainly because internal Policy dictates whether the plod investigates unless directed by DPP.
Yes "they" (actually that should be "we") do demand it, but implementation into national law is the responsibility of the national governments, a job that UK governments seem to be spectacularly bad at!

You seem to be criticising the UK legal system in the second paragraph, not sure how that is relevant!

Who on here really gives a flying fkuc about brexit? It is going to happen, the people of this country voted for it. All this talk about getting a "good deal" is nonsense. The French and Germans who control the EU don't give a fkcu about us, the US don't give a fcku about us so lets just crack on with what we voted for. As for the pathetic RoI well say no more. As for the whiney NI well say even less.

Certainly better than the balls-up that the UK has managed to make of things!

Strawman argument yet again!
Can't disagree that the UK (May/Hammond) has ballsed up the process to date. I do disagree that my response was a straw man argument, totally valid.

Who on here really gives a flying fkuc about brexit? It is going to happen, the people of this country voted for it. All this talk about getting a "good deal" is nonsense. The French and Germans who control the EU don't give a fkcu about us, the US don't give a fcku about us so lets just crack on with what we voted for. As for the pathetic RoI well say no more. As for the whiney NI well say even less.
A nice summation of Brexit - @Good CO will support you fully in that. :D

Can't disagree that the UK (May/Hammond) has ballsed up the process to date. I do disagree that my response was a straw man argument, totally valid.
Whether you think it's valid or not is irrelevant! I suggest you look up the definition of a Strawman argument because you obviously don't know it!

Whether you think it's valid or not is irrelevant! I suggest you look up the definition of a Strawman argument because you obviously don't know it!
Indeed I do but for your benefit here is the definition
Straw man - Wikipedia

Now maybe you can point out how my responding to your post could be considered a straw man argument? You can show your workings in the margins!

Indeed I do but for your benefit here is the definition
Straw man - Wikipedia

Now maybe you can point out how my responding to your post could be considered a straw man argument? You can show your workings in the margins!
I have never made the case for the following:

"that Brussels is right in all matters"

Your implication that I have "fallen for the propaganda" for this is therefore a strawman argument!

I have never made the case for the following:

"that Brussels is right in all matters"

Your implication that I have "fallen for the propaganda" for this is therefore a strawman argument!
While you may not have used those exact words in that post, and others, the impression you give is that exactly! Do you now just want one word replies to your posts or do you want me to give a wee bit explanation why I have just said what I post?

Now, you have not posted the last part of the above paragraph in your post so is that question another part of your straw man fantasy? Generally I prefer to give a bit of reasoning behind my posts and to be honest, I usually don't give a flying f*ck what others think of it, but your accusation required a bit more from me than the norm.

Oooo hark at you!

I hope you do get the hard brexit you thoroughly deserve, no skin off my nose!

I look forward to carry on watching the show, best comedy in decades!
My bold. Does that mean you are not a resident of the UK and therefore don't have vote thus rendering your posts even more irrelevant?