Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

The Brexit Consequences Thread

Just an observation .... checking my Share Portfolio this morning I see the FTSE 100 had crossed over the 7000 level .... at this time last year it was about 5750 .... my investments handsomely reflect the change .... confidence in the UK Markets has certainly not fallen over a cliff .... I realise one Swallow does not a Spring / Summer make but a pleasing and reassuring change .
Unpossible, we were promised a financial disaster

it seems that the trade committee of the EU have urged the EP to ratify the deal before the end of April as that is when the interim agreement ceases. Also noted that Mc Donald ( sorry if I got the name wrong) the German MEP was caught saying that Britain had chosen to leave the single Market. It may be remembered that Juncker in his ultimatum to Cameron stated we would have to leave the single market-which Cameron accepted. Not quite the same thing- but er- somewhat crucial in the different mentalities

Just an observation .... checking my Share Portfolio this morning I see the FTSE 100 had crossed over the 7000 level .... at this time last year it was about 5750 .... my investments handsomely reflect the change .... confidence in the UK Markets has certainly not fallen over a cliff .... I realise one Swallow does not a Spring / Summer make but a pleasing and reassuring change .

I believe that business/finance confidence will only continue to grow post Brexit. There is an absolute tsunami of cash built up in business and personal bank accounts at the moment just waiting to be unleashed into products and investments when the lockdowns ease. Whilst a lot of people have suffered there are many more who have actually been better off without the costs of commuting and holidays etc , likewise with businesses and many bank accounts are full - it is my opinion that a sensible govt would reduce taxation to encourage people to spend and businesses to invest/grow and would recoup and actually increase the initial tax loss on many different levels - not the least of which would be consumer confidence.

Compared to the EU, the UK currency value has been falsely suppressed throughout the whole of the Brexit process whilst conversely the Euro has been vastly inflated and built on unbelievable levels of Quantitative Easing which has and is not providing the stimulus it was expected to achieve. Therefore the UK is far more attractive to investors as our currency is in a far more stable place than the EUs with space to grow.

I can only hope that BoJo does not waste the competitive advantage and headstart the vaccine has given the UK by continuing to lock us down at a time where the infection rate and more importantly the worst medical outcomes are now minuscule when compared to population numbers - unlocking now would give us 6 good months of warm weather before the seasonal Covid returns in the winter - make hay when the sun shines!

I have another reason to urge us to take advantage and that is to undercut the SNP who are absolutely desperate to split the country before the recovery starts - they know that when the economy roars back to life and people are actually back in work that their propaganda and hate stirring will reach far less people and look far more risky against a booming economy

I have bet big on UK funds in my SIPP last year, and they are doing very well.
Any profit I make from individual shares I put into a UK fund.

You're still doing nothing about it though are you?

They're still massively taking the piss and, every time there's another bit of the story coming into the light they say "Look! EU bad..." in the DM/Express/Telegraph and everyone looks that way.....
Stick to the Guardian then, that way you can hear what you want to hear.

Yeah, it was £45 million being saved and £12K donation. Win eh?

There's evidence of being liars on the subject

I thought it said this:

It found “a lack of transparency and adequate documentation of some key decisions, such as why particular suppliers were chosen or how government identified and managed potential conflicts of interest ... Some contracts were awarded after work had already begun, and many were not published in the timeframe they should have been.”

NAO boss Gareth Davies said at the time: “While we recognise that these were exceptional circumstances, it remains essential that decisions are properly documented and made transparent if government is to maintain public trust that taxpayers’ money is being spent appropriately and fairly.

“The evidence set out in our report shows that these standards of transparency and documentation were not consistently met in the first phase of the pandemic.”

Keep those glasses on.
I expect there was a certain amount of contracts to mates - But rather than deliberate pocket lining corruption its more a case of we need to do this fast who can help and turning to your own circle of associates - Labour would have been no differrent (and yes i would be saying the same if it was them).

Whilst unacceptable in general - the unprecedented Covid situation does provide mitigating circumstances.

It does seem theres more than a small amount of deliberate carping in order to politicize covid and attack every decision** and redefine Boris followed the advice of differrent experts to Boris ignored experts.

As ever 2020 hindsight allows the opposition (and its supporters) to claim they would have done everything right -
Where the left and right differ is - the Left are actively pushing a narrative that not only did it do everything wrong but it also deliberatly stacked the deck against etnic minorities.

I and I hope history will be far more forgiving of Tory misjudgements than it will be of Momentum and affiliated MPs and the race baiting cancer they have become

**See the Nightingale hospitals - put in place as a just in case overwhelmed NHS insurance measure now criticized because they werent needed. Ignoring that they were built hoping not to be.

which makes you wonder why nobody thought of building/acquiring the correct sort of purifiers prior to Brexit.

It’s primarily to do with a) the water quality in which the shellfish grow; and b) product purified before transport has a shorter shelf life.
Thus, pre-Brexit, shellfish from UK waters would be purified in mainland Europe before sale.
Post-Brexit the transport of unpurified shellfish is streng verboten. Purified is ok.
The British Govt has said it will fund purifying plants in the UK. This means the French establishments, for instance, will be short of work.

In other words rather than Boris Grr / thick Tory / Racist Brexiters Durr didnt understand what they were voting for / EU holds all the cards / deluded little Englanders

Its more a case of - Short term this hurts the UK Long term its going to cost France Jobs as such everyone believed the EU would be flexible and reach an accord, not because it benefits the UK, but because not doing so is for the EU to shoot itself in the foot.