Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

The Brexit Consequences Thread

Personally I'm still laughing at Ireland.

I'm not really sure why the EU didn't just screw the nut with David. Instead of screwing him.

Still. Mustn't grumble, I'm glad they did.

How are the kids @Brotherton Lad? Have they got over the result yet?

I agree with what he said. The fight is going to be over what constitutes a "good deal".
It is entirely possible to leave the EU in name only if we aren't careful, and that wasn't what Brexit was about.
It's like having an arguement with someone , patching it up and giving them something coz it's a nice thing to do. Beware of what you give.

I think we're likely to leave the EU without a deal - unless the EU makes major concessions.

If BoJo was going to make concessions, it would have happened by now. Fishing is a very small part of UK GDP, so he could have given ground there with minimal financial impact. The fact he hasn't is a good indicator that he's not going to give any ground to the EU - period.

In addition, if BoJo gives ground, we'll become an EU colony. Which - apart from the long term impact on the EU - would screw his chances of a second term. The opposition parties (with weapons grade hypocrisy) would scream 'betrayal of British interests' throughout the campaign.

A true Brexit also screws the SNP. As we diverge ever further from the EU, the more they have to surrender to get back in were they ever to gain independence. And the bigger chimps the SNP look if Brexit has minimal impact on Scotland.

A hard Brexit also screws the EU. With WTO tariffs - and a level playing field in imports - they'll rapidly lose market share to the rest of the world; EU manufacturers are no longer protected by the protectionist tariffs of the single market. I suspect BoJo is happy to exit without a deal, let the loss of market share commence, and then invite the EU to sign a FTA.

Wordsmith

If BoJo was going to make concessions, it would have happened by now. Fishing is a very small part of UK GDP, so he could have given ground there with minimal financial impact. The fact he hasn't is a good indicator that he's not going to give any ground to the EU - period.

Why would you give ANY concessions, when the EU are:

1. Demanding status quo fishing rights ( Even it fishing was 0% of UK GDP )
2. Demanding that the UK remains subservient to the ECJ
3. Demanding that the UK remain subservient to the EU by agreeing to the EU's idea of a level playing field.

There is no concessions to be made when the EU continue to make demands and continue to try and keep the UK subservient by way of the ECJ or some mythical level playing field.

You cannot negotiate with a brick wall.

Shake hands / bump elbows and walk away.

I'm looking forward to the autumn when Johnson's 'oven-ready deal' turns out to be a great steaming pile of 'fudge'.

Remember when you said there'd be another hung parliament, then conceded the Tories might win with a slight majority?

You'd probably best keep quiet; some of us remember the nonsense you post.

And no doubt in the Autumn it will be a 'steaming pile of fudge', but then closer to to the 31st Dec, there'll be an actual fudge.

And lots of Britain hating Remainers will cry.

I'm looking forward to the autumn when Johnson's 'oven-ready deal' turns out to be a great steaming pile of 'fudge'.
You know that video that we're talking about? Did you watch it? He was talking to you. He was saying that you can remain stuck in the past or you can help shape the future. It's your choice, but if you want a say in the future of Britain then the time to act is now.

Nawaz said he was a firm believer in remaining in the EU, and he campaigned against Brexit. However, he said that Brexit has happened, and in his view it's time to accept that and to move on. He said that whatever political differences he may have with Brexiteers, they are his fellow British citizens and it's time to remember that he has more in common with them than he does with people elsewhere, and that the task now is to find ways of working with them.

What concerns him now is to not leave the shape of Britain's future outside of the EU to the same people who won the referendum, but instead to provide a vision of Britain's future in the world that is compatible with the values he holds. In his view to wallow in nostalgia about the glory days of the EU is to leave the initiative to others. He goes on to describe where he feels that Britain would fit and who Britain's allies should be. In talking about this, he's saying that you need to work with him to build this future.

I agree with what he said. The fight is going to be over what constitutes a "good deal".
It is entirely possible to leave the EU in name only if we aren't careful, and that wasn't what Brexit was about.
It's like having an arguement with someone , patching it up and giving them something coz it's a nice thing to do. Beware of what you give.
I think he is looking far beyond just a trade deal with the EU. He is concerned about what Britain's place in the world should be, and that Britain must look for allies who are compatible with the values that Britain holds and about how Britain should find ways to work with them without becoming anybody's lap dog. He has some specific suggestions in that regards.

You know that video that we're talking about? Did you watch it? He was talking to you. He was saying that you can remain stuck in the past or you can help shape the future. It's your choice, but if you want a say in the future of Britain then the time to act is now.

Nawaz said he was a firm believer in remaining in the EU, and he campaigned against Brexit. However, he said that Brexit has happened, and in his view it's time to accept that and to move on. He said that whatever political differences he may have with Brexiteers, they are his fellow British citizens and it's time to remember that he has more in common with them than he does with people elsewhere, and that the task now is to find ways of working with them.

What concerns him now is to not leave the shape of Britain's future outside of the EU to the same people who won the referendum, but instead to provide a vision of Britain's future in the world that is compatible with the values he holds. In his view to wallow in nostalgia about the glory days of the EU is to leave the initiative to others. He goes on to describe where he feels that Britain would fit and who Britain's allies should be. In talking about this, he's saying that you need to work with him to build this future.

I enjoy watching a slow motion car crash.