The Brexit Consequences Thread

Northern Ireland voted Remain. The nationalist cause in the past has been used to justify terrorism. However, the Remain vote shows strategic common ground between both communities in the Province and presents a good opportunity to achieve a united Ireland with no violence. A lot of the so-called Unionists are in fact ambivalent about the unionist cause and just want a quiet life and a share of prosperity. A combination of the Remain vote and demographics that are trending towards the nationalist population could be used to finally achieve a united Ireland.

Sarastro

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Brexit has happened. I am of the opinion that a bad mistake has been made, and it has been based on misrepresented facts, and there will be a lot of broken promises and negative consequences. Many of you clearly disagree.

So let's find out. Let's make this based on the facts as they happen now. Over the next however long, let's keep a tally of things that happen because of Brexit, whether good or bad, and see what turns up. This isn't to judge the Brexit vote, it's too late for that. It's to inform whatever future decisions any of us will make in our voting lives, and to remind ourselves that decisions have consequences, whether good or bad.

1. It has to be a legitimate source. Your mate Dave does not count. News articles do.
2. It has to be factual. No posting about people liking or disliking the idea, and no opinion pieces (unless they quote facts).
3. It has to affect Britain. Clearly there will be consequences world-wide, but this is specifically about whether it was a good idea for Britain. If it doesn't affect Britain, please flag it International as below.
4. Comparisons with campaign claims allowed. Even if it doesn't fit the above two rules, if it fulfills or contradicts a Leave campaign claim, it's specifically allowed (because it was a campaign).
5. Please limit discussion to validity of sources. This isn't a Brexit discussion page, it's a record of events. If you think a source is dodgy, that's fine, but otherwise please just post the facts based on the above.

EDIT: After a suggestion, feel free to report about international consequences, but could you please include a line in the post: International
Everyone,

Can we please try to stick to the above constraints. There are other threads for discussing what we think about the vote: this one is intended to record factual information that is emerging as a result.

Thanks!

I wanted to remain, but that's in the past now, i really do not want this to go pear shaped, i earn my money through good relations with europe and this debacle has severely affected my income.

A point about EU attitudes though, they will most certainly not make this easy for us, why would they? They dont want anyone else leaving and have to show that we made a mistake.
EU attitudes is one of a number of reasons some of us voted to leave.

Being castigated for not be 'good Europeans' and meekly obeying the will of the EU overlords and threats of repercussions for not doing as we are told. The EU expects its member states to be subservient to the EU project and we have shown them that we are not. Others will follow.

I wanted to remain, but that's in the past now, i really do not want this to go pear shaped, i earn my money through good relations with europe and this debacle has severely affected my income.

A point about EU attitudes though, they will most certainly not make this easy for us, why would they? They dont want anyone else leaving and have to show that we made a mistake.
I didn't mean all Remainers are vengeful of course, but my feeling so far is a certain proportion want to make schadenfreude happen. Likewise on the EU front, yes I can see why but it smacks somewhat of wanting to make sure that any European outside the EU fails, a fundamental intolerance.
It will almost certainly have economic consequences for me too but I voted for the long term future of my country.

EU attitudes is one of a number of reasons some of us voted to leave.

Being castigated for not be 'good Europeans' and meekly obeying the will of the EU overlords and threats of repercussions for not doing as we are told. The EU expects its member states to be subservient to the EU project and we have shown them that we are not. Others will follow.
I'm beginning to hope so, before this my attitude was: If you guys are happy with the EU stick with it, all the best. Now it's beginning to look like it's shaping up for a less tolerant EU.

Everyone,

Can we please try to stick to the above constraints. There are other threads for discussing what we think about the vote: this one is intended to record factual information that is emerging as a result.

Thanks!
An executive culling of the petty is needed I think.

How did that happen then surely your contract is in euro and you only lose when you conversation to sterling

First time on this site

Archie
Thats right, it's the conversion to sterling.

It's not my first time on the site but it is the first time i have bothered to register so that i can contribute.

Nothing else so far has got me worked up enough to spend the 30 seconds creating an account.

A political appointee by David Cameron

Hill worked in the Conservative Research Department (1985–86), before becoming a Special Adviser to Kenneth Clarke at the Department of Employment, Department of Trade and Industry and Department of Health until 1989. After working for Lowe Bell Communications (1989–91), he joined the Number 10 Policy Unit(1991–92) and served as Political Secretary to PM John Major and Head of the Prime Minister's Political Office(1992–94) during the Maastricht Treaty negotiations.[4] He was appointed CBE in the 1995 New Year HonoursList.[5]

Subsequently, Hill worked at Bell Pottinger Group from 1994 until 1998 as a senior consultant, before leaving to become a founding director of Quiller Consultants.[6]

On 27 May 2010, he was created a Life Peer as Baron Hill of Oareford, of Oareford, in the County of Somerset,[7]and was introduced to the House of Lords on the same day, taking office as Parliamentary Under-Secretary of Statefor Schools in the Department for Education.[8] There are reports (contradicted by Hill) that in July 2012, he attempted, unsuccessfully, to resign as a Minister.[9][10]

Lord Hill succeeded Lord Strathclyde as Leader of the House of Lords, Chancellor of the Duchy of Lancaster andLeader of the Conservative Party in the House of Lords in January 2013,[11] and was sworn of the Privy Council.

Archie

That the EU wants to get this ove and done with and is going to play hardball is no surprise, they need to protect their integrigty and economy, dragging this out helps no one. They aren't making a threat they are seeking to protect themselves from more damage.
The EU loves rules and regulations. The rules say we've got two years.

It's interesting that you say they want to protect themselves from more damage. If they'd taken us seriously when CMD went to do a bit of renegotiating and given ground on the areas of concern instead of playing 'hardball' and giving nothing of worth the chances are the vote would have gone the other way.

rampant

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
This is interesting

Dunno if it meets @Sarastro s criteria, but it indicates interest in the EU has skyrocketed since the result from a position of me beforehand, public becoming more investigative in light of sudden disillusionments?

The economic and geopolitical powerhouse of Latvia might find itself being told to do one then. Also is it really in the Latvian people's interest to start a political row with one of its main allies while Russia's still playing silly buggers?
You understand how the remaining MS will vote, don't you?

I am currently listening to 'Any Answers' on BBC Radio 4. There is no shortage of disappointed Remainers, confused idiots who have 'changed their mind' in the space of a day, and Generation Snowflakers (one actually in tears) saying how unfair it all was and demanding a referendum rerun.

The concept of the democratic process is utterly lost on them.

Truly pathetic.

The shoite coming out of the BBC , and the sore loser remain camp is comedy gold. I've come close to pissing myself many times now, and all this entertainment for free !

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Bacongrills The NAAFI Bar 229
Good CO Brexit 349
ACAB The NAAFI Bar 453