• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

The Brexit Consequences Thread

OK one more reply, The French, as members of the schengen agreement do not have to conduct border access control, they only do it currently at the FRench exit ports close to the UK because we are not members or schengen nor will we be.

The French do not have to check anyones pasports of visa's at Calais. So when Johnny Mohammad turns up for his coach or ferry, he can get on and travel to the UK. When the UK border people discover that he is not British, they will have to deal with him, sending him back to france is likely to result in a "NON!" form the French so he'll have to be dealt with some other way (hint - by putting him in a camp in the UK until it can be legally determined what to do with him).
Its not hard. The airlines do it.

As I've said before. Both sides will be looking for a mutually beneficial settlement.

How does the EU/Brussels meddle with our firearms laws, genuinely curious, as all the restictions I'm aware of have been self imposed. @ugly can you elucidate?
The UK has more strict firearms laws than most EU countries, our own government do a fine job of ruining the firearms aspect of UK life all on their own.
I'm one of many (more a million?) working in the EU. last week I had a secure job, paid for home and secure benefits . My pension years were up to the necessary 35 as my contributions from working in England, Spain and Slovakia were to be combined under EU regulations. Today we have a very uncertain future. My point? moving to other countries for work was a two way process.
I had 20,000 euro wiped of the the value of a contract i'm working on in the netherlands as a result of this clusterfuck. There will be more losses to come.

I belive it's 2m british living and working on EU countries.

I'm one of many (more a million?) working in the EU. last week I had a secure job, paid for home and secure benefits . My pension years were up to the necessary 35 as my contributions from working in England, Spain and Slovakia were to be combined under EU regulations. Today we have a very uncertain future. My point? moving to other countries for work was a two way process.
Return on your investment may go down as well as up.

Your suggesting that France will not check Passports on their side of the channel, that they will just let any one board the ferry or train, is that your opinion?

If that was the case, it then becomes the ferry operators and train operators responsibility.
I am suggesting that the French may not check passports of people leaving France much the same as the UK do not always check passports for people leaving the UK (at Cheriton at least, based on personal experience).

Transport operators are already responsible to ensure that everything is above board and there is still a problem.

I am suggesting that the French may not check passports of people leaving France much the same as the UK do not always check passports for people leaving the UK (at Cheriton at least, based on personal experience).

Transport operators are already responsible to ensure that everything is above board and there is still a problem.
On checking passports in Britian, they will be sent back to port of origin... at that countries/operators expense.

Will these people simply not learn.

Really? warning & threatening other member states?

Words fail me.

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)
Why? Did you expect them to roll over and repeat the mantra that UK is more important? Bit of a bummer to find out the EU wants UK to go quickly instead of them spinning it out for as long as possible.
UK has said they want out. Humming and handing about delaying it for at least four months is not what was expected. I can't really see why anyone should think the EU would make it easy, especially as it's UK is the one that's going.

France suggest moving the UK's border back onto UK soil, meaning the migrant camp in Calais would be moved from France to the UK.

As the UK currently conduct border control operations in Calais, post EU exit, France no longer have to allow that.

Makes the task of crossing the channel as a migrant much easier.

EU Brexit referendum: France's Calais seeks border deal changes - BBC News
So what. Two can play that game. If they don't have a valid passport and visa we turn them around and put them on the next boat back.

Why? Did you expect them to roll over and repeat the mantra that UK is more important? Bit of a bummer to find out the EU wants UK to go quickly instead of them spinning it out for as long as possible.
UK has said they want out. Humming and handing about delaying it for at least four months is not what was expected. I can't really see why anyone should think the EU would make it easy, especially as it's UK is the one that's going.
The EU to roll over, of course not I'm not that niave. While the UK is still temporarily a paying member the importance should focus on negotiations, trade and tariff's not dictating how 'they' want it conducted.

The EU was formulated, constructed and so called prepared for the unexpected, was it not?.....oh hold on, the immigrant crisis fiasco is only one example.

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

The Helmet speaks out again:

First Minister Nicola Sturgeon says she will seek "immediate discussions" with Brussels to "protect Scotland's place in the EU" after UK's vote to leave.

Sturgeon to "protect" Scottish EU interests - BBC News
And since Salmond was told 2 years ago that the EU will NOT hold any discussions with a region of a member state, she'll be told to go and play in the corner whilst the grownups chat

Are you suggesting that France does not check passports for people getting on ships and planes bound for Canada, the USA, Brazil, Argentina, China, Japan, Australia et al? Of course they do because they are foreign countries and not in the EU. The same rules will apply to the UK - we will be a foreign country outside of the EU.

rampant

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Totally agree, this is an example of an astonishing lack of self awareness and indeed hypocrisy by many others too. This has aslso been noticable in the IndyRef debate a few years back and whenever Foreign Aid or India/Africa threads crop up.

Posters when arguing against Indy, for example, would pontificate that if we Scots decided we wanted to go our own way then they shouldn't expect any special favours, rUK would take her own stance, would have to protect her interests. If Scotland wants indy then they will quickly learn the world plays hardball. They want out then feck em.

That the EU wants to get this ove and done with and is going to play hardball is no surprise, they need to protect their integrigty and economy, dragging this out helps no one. They aren't making a threat they are seeking to protect themselves from more damage.

The stance above is like a child who keeps repeatedly poking a snake with a stick then blames the snake for turning around and biting him.

The more I look at Brexit the more I see as a petulent fit of pique by an astonishingly politically illiterate demos.

Last edited:
when the public realise that the public realise the leaders of Leave won't deliver on their claims the sense of betrayal and anger from their supporters will make the expenses scandal look like a picnic.
Amen, brother.

O, Saint Jo of The Holy Bullet, whyfore hast thou forsaken us in our darkest hour?

Seems like there's a feeling to punish Brexiters, from the international - France wanting to railroad through a hasty, and no doubt painful, Brexit negotiation all the way down to the personal - the amount of abuse I've seen on FB so far.
It's like Remainers want this all to go pear shaped.

Seems like there's a feeling to punish Brexiters, from the international - France wanting to railroad through a hasty, and no doubt painful, Brexit negotiation all the way down to the personal - the amount of abuse I've seen on FB so far.
It's like Remainers want this all to go pear shaped.
I wanted to remain, but that's in the past now, i really do not want this to go pear shaped, i earn my money through good relations with europe and this debacle has severely affected my income.

A point about EU attitudes though, they will most certainly not make this easy for us, why would they? They dont want anyone else leaving and have to show that we made a mistake.

The UK has more strict firearms laws than most EU countries, our own government do a fine job of ruining the firearms aspect of UK life all on their own.

I had 20,000 euro wiped of the the value of a contract i'm working on in the netherlands as a result of this clusterfuck. There will be more losses to come.

I belive it's 2m british living and working on EU countries.

How did that happen then surely your contract is in euro and you only lose when you conversation to sterling

First time on this site

Archie

They do anyway - we are not part of the Schengen Zone...
Indeed. For people to travel outside the Schengen Zone and to foreign countries they have to have a passport. If they don't have one they are not allowed to travel. You have to go through passport control when leaving a country. franktwinkletoes seems to think that the only country the French won't enforce that for is the UK.

Latest Threads